PDA

View Full Version : How many Americans understand who dreamers are?

John Smith
01-27-2018, 08:41 AM
The people who come on and discuss this seem to think the entire country understands exactly what they're (or who) they'are talking about. I suspect many don't.

I suspect an awful lot of people lump immigrants together.

Art Haberland
01-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Are you kidding? There are people who still do not realize that Puerto Ricans are American citizens.

John Smith
01-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Are you kidding? There are people who still do not realize that Puerto Ricans are American citizens.

Kind of my point.

S.V. Airlie
01-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Kind of my point.And my point goes one step further, they don't want to know and likely don't care.

Canoeyawl
01-27-2018, 02:23 PM
They are the ones that when sent back to Mexico they can't speak the language, it is cruelty and Trump the sociopath likes it, he is proud of it.
They are often refugees here, and shamelessly exploited when returned to Mexico. (I have no idea about Guatamala or El Salvador) Women are forced into prostitution, men into organized crime. Disgusting.

The Death Sentence, a good read, but painful.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/01/15/when-deportation-is-a-death-sentence

Osborne Russell
01-27-2018, 03:02 PM
They are the ones that when sent back to Mexico they can't speak the language, it is cruelty and Trump the sociopath likes it, he is proud of it.
They are often refugees here, and shamelessly exploited when returned to Mexico. (I have no idea about Guatamala or El Salvador) Women are forced into prostitution, men into organized crime. Disgusting.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/01/15/when-deportation-is-a-death-sentence

The impression is that El Salvador is kind of a feed lot for cheap laborers. So cheap that they can be returned as defective for the slightest cause, or no cause at all. No surprise that their home country doesn't welcome them back.

The story is waiting to be written. It'll make The Grapes Of Wrath look like nothing. Well, maybe not. In Grapes the victims weren't just white, they were Americans.

amish rob
01-27-2018, 03:04 PM
And Honduras. Donít forget Honduras.

Peace,
Robert

P.S. Or Guatemala...

S.V. Airlie
01-27-2018, 04:25 PM

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/01/15/when-deportation-is-a-death-sentenceTrump has a problem speaking English and everyone in thecWH is telling us what he actually meant. Can I deport him? Will ant country accept him? Maybe Russia!

Paul Pless
01-27-2018, 04:41 PM
and here we have john playing his arrogant intellectually elite card
<psst> its a losing card john. . .

Too Little Time
01-27-2018, 04:49 PM
I suspect an awful lot of people lump immigrants together.
Some people lump many Americans into an ignorant group.

I am in the situation I am in now because my parents had some sense of reality. The dreamers are in much the same situation. Except that the parents had a poorer sense of reality than my parents did.

There are poor people everywhere in the world. There are people who have lost their opportunity to be what they could have been. Little of it is their fault. You want to make a choice to help those who are the squeaky wheels. I think that is a poor standard to use for who is helped.

I am all for giving these kids amnesty and citizenship when they become 21. I am all for letting their parents stay here or come here. But I have no interest in helping their other relatives.

John Smith
01-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Some people lump many Americans into an ignorant group.

I am in the situation I am in now because my parents had some sense of reality. The dreamers are in much the same situation. Except that the parents had a poorer sense of reality than my parents did.

There are poor people everywhere in the world. There are people who have lost their opportunity to be what they could have been. Little of it is their fault. You want to make a choice to help those who are the squeaky wheels. I think that is a poor standard to use for who is helped.

I am all for giving these kids amnesty and citizenship when they become 21. I am all for letting their parents stay here or come here. But I have no interest in helping their other relatives.

Too bad we can't choose our parents.

Too Little Time
01-27-2018, 07:31 PM
Too bad we can't choose our parents.
It does seem you favor some parent behaviors over others. We will give a big break to kids whose parents came here illegally. We will give no break to kids whose parents followed the law and waited in line.

And you seem to ignore so many other kids in other countries. This is not criticism of of your view. It is simply as a statement of how complex the situation is.

Paul Pless
01-27-2018, 07:39 PM
Too bad we can't choose our parents.who would you have chosen?

S.V. Airlie
01-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Those dreamers do when the register. By doing so, they have automatic green cards and work. Consequently, they pay taxes to the government. They are following the rules thrust on them, what do you want?

Too Little Time
01-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Those dreamers do when the register. By doing so, they have automatic green cards and work. Consequently, they pay taxes to the government. They are following the rules thrust on them, what do you want?
I wanted their parents to follow the rules. By not doing so they created the situation their kids are in. The situation the puts the kids ahead of many others who would like to be here.

DACA is an exercise of prosecutorial discretion, providing temporary relief from deportation (deferred action) and work authorization to certain young undocumented immigrants brought to the United States as children.
Please note this is prosecutorial discretion not a law we are talking about. And the rules have changed. If you want to make a claim that they followed the rules, they should now go home. But I don't see that as a good solution.