PDA

View Full Version : Bias

Canoez
01-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Have at it:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/

amish rob
01-26-2018, 11:18 AM
Oh. I thought this was going to be about glassing corners.

Peace,
No I Didnít :)

Canoez
01-26-2018, 11:23 AM
Or stems.

Cut your glass cloth on the bias (45į to the weave). Pull the cloth across the width a bit - it will let it lay down over the stem without having to cut darts on all but the most severe curves.

;)

amish rob
01-26-2018, 11:26 AM
Or stems.

Cut your glass cloth on the bias (45į to the weave). Pull the cloth across the width a bit - it will let it lay down over the stem without having to cut darts on all but the most severe curves.

;)
You know, I am actually fixing to glass a stem today. :) Itís on a flatiron skiff. Man, when I learned about bias work with glass, my whole world changed.

Peace,
Robert

Jim Bow
01-26-2018, 11:49 AM
I thought it was gonna be about the tires on a 58 Buick.

Ian McColgin
01-26-2018, 12:36 PM
Great link.

Edited to add - Of the sourses I know reasonably well, the labeling seems mostly fair but some items as neutral are neutral because they have so little to say and some, like NPR, I think got labeled slightly left simply for probing reporting, not actually slanting anything.

Some of the lefty to slightly lefty labelings I agree with but not because the skew the facts. Rather because of the issues they tackle.

Even where I slightly disagree, I must say the site is interesting and very useful.

ron ll
01-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Here is what it says if you search for Facebook as a news source: :)

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, overt propaganda, poor or no sourcing to credible information and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/2017/05/31/being-more-media-savvy-wont-stop-the-spread-of-fake-news-heres-why/)). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the notes section for that source. See all Questionable sources. (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fake-news/)

Canoez
01-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Here is what it says if you search for Facebook as a news source: :)

Makes you wonder what it would say about the Bilge. :cool:;)

Ian McColgin
01-26-2018, 01:15 PM
I think anyone who views FaceBook as a sourse is nuts. FrankI'm enough of a snob that I don't count any publication that has no errata and no functioning editors but only "editors" who simply collect as for real. The compilation site "Common Dreams" skirts this criticism by scrupulous linking and citing.

I love essay type, now often called "advocacy", journalism that has a point of view.

[Those here old enough will appreciate that I grew up neighbors to H.V. Kaltenborn. His estate was named "Point of View" and not only for it's wonderful vista over the creek and Long Island Sound. For those too young, check him out at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._V._Kaltenborn.]

Anyway, I admire a well presented, factually grounded, honest to both ideas and to reality essays that make a clear point. That's a different art from news as such. I think that some of the sourses listed here get labeled more due to their editorial and op-ed side than for the actual news. For example, they call Wall Street Journal 'right-center'. I've not noticed an actual reporting bias but there may be in what they choose to cover. In any event, so far despite change of ownership, the insane WSJ editorial page politics have not infected the news side.

I am a deep believer in local news. We are lucky in having a good quality regional paper in the Cape Cod Times and we have a clutch of weeklies (I read mid Cape mostly) that are pretty good.

I love it when the Cape Cod Times is able to publish letters to the editor where one writer will accuse them of being part of the communist conspiracy and for the same story another writer will accuse them of being rightist stoolies. I call that high praise.

David G
01-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Nice resource. Thanks!

Canoeyawl
01-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Or sails...