PDA

View Full Version : This Might Be The Strongest And Lightest Material on Earth

sharpiefan
01-26-2018, 10:15 AM
This Might Be The Strongest And Lightest Material on Earth (ARTICLE LINK) (https://www.sciencealert.com/mit-unveiled-material-that-s-the-strongest-and-lightest-on-earth)

https://www.sciencealert.com/images/2017-01/processed/MIT-material-strong_600.jpg

Image: Melanie Gonick/MIT

Excerpt
For years, researchers have known that carbon, when arranged in a certain way, can be very strong.

Case in point: graphene. Graphene, which was heretofore, the strongest material known to man, is made from an extremely thin sheet of carbon atoms arranged in two dimensions.

But there's one drawback: while notable for its thinness and unique electrical properties, it's very difficult to create useful, three-dimensional materials out of graphene.

In January last year, a team of MIT researchers discovered that taking small flakes of graphene and fusing them following a mesh-like structure not only retains the material's strength, but the graphene also remains porous.

Based on experiments conducted on 3D printed models, researchers have determined that this material, with its distinct geometry, is actually stronger than graphene –making it 10 times stronger than steel, with only 5 percent of its density.

#include [std-disclaimer]

Keith Wilson
01-26-2018, 10:17 AM
Wow! If you could make that stuff in large quantities, it would make our best steel seem like chipped flint and deer antlers.

Reynard38
01-26-2018, 10:19 AM
This could be huge. The applications for automotive and aviation would be serious game changers.

mmd
01-26-2018, 10:31 AM
And for cored-FRP boats...

David G
01-26-2018, 10:39 AM
And for cored-FRP boats...

Boy Howdy!

The questions, of course, will be costs. Likely crazy expensive if they do find a way to manufacture it in commercial quantities... but will it ever come down to prices that would allow everyday use? Or will it remain at Monel/Titanium levels of cost/rarity? Sounds quite interesting, though.

Canoez
01-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Got an application for that stuff right now.

mmd
01-26-2018, 10:44 AM
It's first boat use will be on America's Cup boats, whatever they look like by then.

John of Phoenix
01-26-2018, 10:50 AM
Would be a bonus if the carbon source could be CO2.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-26-2018, 11:22 AM
It's first boat use will be on America's Cup boats, whatever they look like by then.

America's Cup boats lag behind RC boats and moths.

Might readily find application in a racing shell or perhaps the oars.

Dan McCosh
01-26-2018, 12:42 PM
It would make a lousy teakettle.

Breakaway
01-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Boy Howdy!

The questions, of course, will be costs. Likely crazy expensive if they do find a way to manufacture it in commercial quantities..

Bingo. I was at the New York Boat Show yesterday ( Ran into Fellow Forumite, Jefe, and his family--Hi,Jefe!) Noticed this carbon fiber steering wheel with integral suicide knob, made by Edson. It's 13 inch diameter and 3 spokes, as you can see. Cost?

$1,400

Kevin

SKIP KILPATRICK
01-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Fake news! That's just ribbon candy!

http://www.jewmalt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Del-Maguey-7.gif

willmarsh3
01-26-2018, 02:24 PM
This would make a great substrate to mount solar panels on. I can imagine a Solar Impulse 3 coming along in a few years.

Ted Hoppe
01-26-2018, 03:08 PM
Imagine if we could replace the spineless democrats with this 3D printed material. We could possibly have a president with real backbone who would not crumble to generally applied republican pressure.

SKIP KILPATRICK
01-26-2018, 03:17 PM
Imagine if we could replace the spineless democrats with this 3D printed material. We could possibly have a president with real backbone who would not crumble to generally applied republican pressure.

There's not even a full moon tonight!

sharpiefan
01-26-2018, 04:21 PM
There's not even a full moon tonight!

True -- the Super Blue Blood Moon (LINK) (https://www.space.com/39208-super-blue-blood-moon-guide.html) isn't until the 31st. :)

PeterSibley
01-26-2018, 04:31 PM
​I wonder if it can be 3D printed ? This material and really huge 3D printers could be the beginning of totally new manufacturing techniques.

The Bigfella
01-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Hmmm... dirt bike frames. I wonder how it performs inside the crankcase and gearbox? I hate chasing weight reduction, knowing that all that steel is inside the cases.

LeeG
01-26-2018, 06:45 PM

but it’s pink!

Gerarddm
01-26-2018, 07:30 PM
F1 cars would be all over it.

Space applications, NASA/Elon Musk/Jeff Bezos?

Reynard38
01-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Big challenge with electric cars is range. New battery tech will of course help, but meaningful weight reduction would also stretch the distance between charges.

Art Haberland
01-26-2018, 10:52 PM
Would be a bonus if the carbon source could be CO2.

I was just about to post that.

willmarsh3
01-26-2018, 10:56 PM
True -- the Super Blue Blood Moon (LINK) (https://www.space.com/39208-super-blue-blood-moon-guide.html) isn't until the 31st. :)

It's such a moon that it seems to be already having an effect.

johnw
01-26-2018, 11:08 PM
Now I want a pink ribbon candy mast.

Stiletto
01-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Hmmm... dirt bike frames. I wonder how it performs inside the crankcase and gearbox? I hate chasing weight reduction, knowing that all that steel is inside the cases.

I knew a racebike guy who was chasing weight reduction, whose mechanic said that after all the work that had been done on the bike, the rider going on a diet was definitely the next easiest path to follow.

sharpiefan
01-27-2018, 09:31 PM
​I wonder if it can be 3D printed ? This material and really huge 3D printers could be the beginning of totally new manufacturing techniques.

Yep.

Based on experiments conducted on 3D printed models, researchers have determined that this material, with its distinct geometry, is actually stronger than graphene –making it 10 times stronger than steel, with only 5 percent of its density.

webishop14
01-27-2018, 11:10 PM
According to the article, it was the geometry of the structure that lent the graphene its great strength. It goes on to say that the geometry could be applied to other materials as well, to gain great increases in strength. As to 3D printing, from looking at the models, I don't think that that structure could be produced otherwise. I suspect that as with all things tech, the price will start out in the nose-bleed area, but would soon drop down to the affordable range.