PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight sub-thread branch off the LED headlight thread.

Jim Bow
01-25-2018, 03:56 PM
Do you suppose a 3000 lumen flashlight shined into the eyes of a bad guy would be as good a deterrent as pepper spray?

Stiletto
01-25-2018, 04:14 PM
One advantage that I see, is that you dont have to get as close to him!

Donn
01-25-2018, 04:21 PM
It depends.

First, if you try it, hold it out to your side at arm's length. This way, you don't advertise your exact location. Practice this so you can hit the eyes every time.

Next, it isn't the lumens which determine effectiveness, it's the LUX. Lumens are total light output, no matter how widely spread. A 3000 lumen floodlight, or mule (no reflector at all) won't do much. LUX is the amount of light in the center of the beam. 300 lumens in a pinpoint beam will hurt more than 3000 in a mule.

The most effective is a high LUX beam with a random strobe. This will not only kill night vision for a time, but will disorient the target, as well.

Always remember to move to one side or the other immediately after flashing your target.

Canoez
01-25-2018, 04:33 PM
It depends.

First, if you try it, hold it out to your side at arm's length. This way, you don't advertise your exact location. Practice this so you can hit the eyes every time.

Next, it isn't the lumens which determine effectiveness, it's the LUX. Lumens are total light output, no matter how widely spread. A 3000 lumen floodlight, or mule (no reflector at all) won't do much. LUX is the amount of light in the center of the beam. 300 lumens in a pinpoint beam will hurt more than 3000 in a mule.

The most effective is a high LUX beam with a random strobe. This will not only kill night vision for a time, but will disorient the target, as well.

Always remember to move to one side or the other immediately after flashing your target.

Well. Sorta.

As you say, the Lumens is the total radiant output. The LUX is Lumens per unit area - the LUX measurement of a focused beam from a reflector will be higher in the center of the beam and lower at the edge. As you defocus the beam, it will drop.

Art Haberland
01-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Do you suppose a 3000 lumen flashlight shined into the eyes of a bad guy would be as good a deterrent as pepper spray?

It also has a separate button for strobe:d

Reynard38
01-25-2018, 06:51 PM
It worked for Jimmy Stewart. Just needed more flashbulbs.

https://youtu.be/oowcsynjIwc

Can’t fight if you can’t see.

Gib Etheridge
01-25-2018, 06:55 PM
I took one of these with me last summer, could light up a wolf at well over 100 yards, probably much more. I can read a book that's lit up with it from 200 feet, haven't tried further. It's only 1100 lumens, but has a very tightly focus beam. I would not want it shined in my eyes, I would be blinded for sure.

https://j2ledflashlight.com/collections/olight/products/olight-sr52-ut-intimidator-kit

But to answer your question, no, pepper spray is truly devastating. Well, bear spray, which is typically stronger.

Donn
01-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Well. Sorta.

As you say, the Lumens is the total radiant output. The LUX is Lumens per unit area - the LUX measurement of a focused beam from a reflector will be higher in the center of the beam and lower at the edge. As you defocus the beam, it will drop.

That's what I said, although I didn't limit focus to reflectors. These days, the highest LUX is achieved by systems ranging from 1-3 aspheric lenses, and no reflectors at all.

Gib Etheridge
01-25-2018, 08:05 PM
As I understand it the tinier the bulb the easier it is to produce a tightly focused beam.