PDA

View Full Version : Azar for Drug Profiteering Czar

Ian McColgin
01-25-2018, 01:06 PM
[IMc - Up to today I'd had my differences from Senator King but with this vote I'm done with him. Moore I actually contributed to and now I want my paltry donation back. There is no excuse for confirming this rapacious corporate exploiter.]

Published on Thursday, January 25, 2018, by Common Dreams

Democrats Who Approved 'Greedy Big Pharma CEO' for HHS Secretary Should Be Ashamed: Critics

by Jon Queally, staff writer

The U.S. Senate on Wednesday, with the help of crucial votes by Democrats, confirmed former Eli Lilly executive Alex Azar to become the nation's top healthcare administrator, provoking ire among progressives and healthcare advocates.

Notable on the rollcall list, and the source of ire among critics, was the fact that five Democratic SenatorsóDoug Jones of Alabama, Tom Carper of Delaware, Joe Donnelly of Indiana, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, and Joe Manchin of West Virginia ójoined with Republicans and voted in favor. With the addition of Sen. Angus King, the Indepedent from Maine who caucuses with the Democrats, that gave Azar the needed support to be confirmed.

President Donald Trump nominated Azar after his first Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price was forced to resign last year following revelations he was using taxpayer money to charter private plans for unnecessary trips.

While opponents of his nomination, including advocacy groups like Public Citizen, mounted an aggressive campaign to block Azar's confirmation, in the end it was not enough.

"Shame on every Senator who voted to put big pharma CEO Alex Azar, who colluded to triple the price of insulin, in charge of regulating the health care industry," said Alex Lawson, executive director of Social Security Works, in response to the confirmation. "If Azar's record of corruption is any indication of his future behavior, his tenure will be even shorter than his predecessor Tom Price."

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

CWSmith
01-25-2018, 01:09 PM
On an unrelated note, but as an additional demonstration of federal medical dysfunction:

My wife has "small fiber neuropathy". The best and maybe the only treatment has been developed in Cleveland (?) and is not yet available to the public. She is getting scared.

But on the bright side, big pharma can make a lot of money and that's what's really important. I hate the Republican Party and this POTUS in particular.

Barry
01-25-2018, 02:19 PM
Manchin I'm not surprised, His daughter is Heather Bresch of Fake MBA, Mylan Epipen price Gouging fame.
I believe that in a patriotic mood, she relocated Mylan's corporate offices to Europe(The Netherlands?) to escape paying taxes in the US.

S.V. Airlie
01-25-2018, 02:26 PM
I've given up with Trump actually nominating anyone who knows anything about the subject they are supposed to manage. This plus Brownback demonstrates to me that he's unable to.

skuthorp
01-25-2018, 02:35 PM
I've given up with Trump actually nominating anyone who knows anything about the subject they are supposed to manage. This plus Brownback demonstrates to me that he's unable to.
I presume you realise that this is a deliberate policy? Partly maybe to give the finger to anyone with any actual qualifications, but mostly in the 'pull it all down' category.

Jim Bow
01-25-2018, 03:46 PM
Joe Donnelly - Indiana. Indianapolis is the home of ... wait for it ... wait for it ...ELI LILLY!!