PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Sweetener - maple syrup

David G
01-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Maple Syrup. Mmmmmmmm...

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/maple-syrup-being-poured-onto-spoon-isolated-white-background-canada-category-no-light-medium-grades-high-speed-flash-66585401.jpg

mmd
01-04-2018, 10:55 AM
^Blechhh!

David G
01-04-2018, 10:57 AM
^Blechhh!

You like yours darker? <G>

mmd
01-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Don't like the flavour of maple. Candy, sugar, syrup, whatever. Anybody else is welcome to my share of the stuff.

David G
01-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Don't like the flavour of maple. Candy, sugar, syrup, whatever. Anybody else is welcome to my share of the stuff.

I call it Nectar of the Gods. No accounting for taste (or lack of same)<G>

mmd
01-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Nah, son; nectar of the godz is bakeapple jam.

https://www.acanadianfoodie.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/9a-Cloudberry-or-Bakeapple-Jam.jpg

George Jung
01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
This is rather nice:

https://www.thegrommet.com/woods-vermont-syrup-co-pure-vermont-maple-syrup?msclkid=a58dfadb2b0512351967a0957cc21bc6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AQ_Shopping_Camato_Generic&utm_term=4579672088887139&utm_content=wood%27s%20vermont%20syrup%20co.%20-%20Food,%20Beverages%20%26%20Tobacco%20%3E%20Food% 20Items%20%3E%20Condiments%20%26%20Sauces#flavor=b ourbon+barrel+aged

David G
01-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Had some on pancakes this morning. Nothing like the flavors of melted butter & maple syrple on whole wheat cakes.

David G
04-28-2018, 11:02 AM
Someone was commenting on the 'industrialization' of maple syrup production. I had no idea. But here's a good article from CSM --

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2018/0418/Maple-syrup-inc.-Vermont-s-maple-syrup-tradition-goes-high-tech-high-finance

In the past decade, the Vermont maple syrup industry has boomed, bringing outside investors, private equity firms, and a host of new challenges and opportunities to the Green Mountain State.

Paul Pless
04-28-2018, 11:10 AM
Do y’all have maple out there David? I grew up in the land of honey. And my neighbor planted a few acres of cane and had a hundred year old pot mill set up for boiling it and making sugar, syrup, molasses and treacle. Of course I’ve had maple syrup before, but I didn’t really appreciate it until moving here.

jpatrick
04-28-2018, 11:18 AM
Had some on pancakes this morning. Nothing like the flavors of melted butter & maple syrple on whole wheat cakes.

Don't forget the bacon!

Jeff

David G
04-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Do y’all have maple out their David? I grew up in the land of honey. And my neighbor planted a few acres of cane and had a hundred year old pot mill set up for boiling it and making sugar, syrup, molasses and treacle. Of course I’ve had maple syrup before, but I didn’t really appreciate it until moving here.

No. Not any any practical level, though I have heard stories of intrepid homesteaders doing some. But we don't have the right trees, nor the right weather.

Another family favorite - my paternal grandparents came from N. Carolina - is 'Honeybutter' on pancakes and biscuits. Just as good as maple syrup, and less expensive.

David G
04-28-2018, 11:27 AM
Don't forget the bacon!

Jeff

Jeff is right, of course. <G>

Keith Wilson
04-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Don't like the flavour of maple. Candy, sugar, syrup, whatever. Anybody else is welcome to my share of the stuff.You do realize you could lose your Canadian citizenship if this gets to the attention of the authorities, right?

David G
04-28-2018, 11:30 AM
You do realize you could lose your Canadian citizenship if this gets to the attention of the authorities, right?

I was imagining interplanetary banishment. But I suppose that might be a bit extreme. <G>

Paul Pless
04-28-2018, 11:34 AM
Someone was commenting on the 'industrialization' of maple syrup production. have seen this method?

Somebody discovered you can lop the top off of a three year of maple sapling and get a sizable amount of sap out of it, so now experimentation is going forward to planting large scale maple tree sapling farms for sap production. This could well be the end of sugarbush as an industry. . .

Sugar maple saplings can out-produce mature trees by an order of magnitude. A plantation-style crop of 6,000 saplings can produce 400 gallons of syrup per acre, while a mature sugarbush of 80 mature maple trees produces 40 gallons per acre, researchers say.

https://i1.wp.com/vtdigger.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/UVM-maple-scientists-610x406.jpg?resize=610%2C406

Breakaway
04-28-2018, 11:41 AM
In Murica it's pronounced, "s'urp."

Kevin

Barry
04-28-2018, 11:42 AM

Sometime in the late 60's my family did a camping trip to Groton Sate Forest in Vermont.
One of the activities, was a visit to a Maple Sugar Candy producer. They of course gave out free samples which my brothers and I all took full advantage of. Needless to say we over did it. On the ride back to camp we were all feeling somewhat queasy.
My younger brother began to vomit all over the place, which led to a chain reaction of myself and my other 3 brothers doing the same. This set off the dog (Big Boxer) who was trying to get out of the way and jumped into the front seat where my youngest brother is in full on upchucking. Dog jumps back into rear seat,and then front seat again.Meanwhile my 3 sisters are screaming in disgust. My Dad is trying to maneuver the Station wagon to the side of the road, while controlling the dog.
My Mom is like WTF. It was total chaos. I and one brother are in the jump seats in the back of the station and can't get out. I don't think I've ever seen my Father move so quickly to get the tail gate open. Once the car stopped, we all peeled out and had a group session on the shoulder ( beautiful view by the way as I remember).
The car was a stinking mess, we spent most of the rest of day scrubbing it out.
I've never eaten Maple anything since. Just the smell makes me Ill, even 50 years later.
Don't eat pancakes or waffles, unless there's blueberry or raspberry syrup. because of that.

Also visited the Von Trapp Lodge that trip, didn't see Maria.

Paul Pless
04-28-2018, 11:44 AM
My Mom is like WTF.

lol

Canoeyawl
04-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Well, in spite of all the negativity there is something pretty special about hot apple pie from the oven with "good" vanilla ice cream and Maple syrup all over.

johnwill
04-28-2018, 01:45 PM
Tried maple flavored sausage? I guess it is artificial flavor, but who cares? It goes well with pancakes or scrambled eggs.

mmd
04-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Oh, man; you guys are killin' me. All those wonderful foods ruined in a flood of tree-juice...

Pitsligo
04-28-2018, 03:07 PM
have seen this method?

Somebody discovered you can lop the top off of a three year of maple sapling and get a sizable amount of sap out of it, so now experimentation is going forward to planting large scale maple tree sapling farms for sap production. This could well be the end of sugarbush as an industry. . .

Sugar maple saplings can out-produce mature trees by an order of magnitude. A plantation-style crop of 6,000 saplings can produce 400 gallons of syrup per acre, while a mature sugarbush of 80 mature maple trees produces 40 gallons per acre, researchers say.

Please post or PM me a link? This is very, very interesting.

Mince up an apple --I like Pink Ladies, but whatever your favorite type is will do-- and mix it in with the whole wheat batter; add 1/4tsp allspice, 1/4tsp ceylon cinnamon, and 1/4tsp cassia cinnamon. Apple-pancakes and maple syrup... Mmmmm!

Alex

webishop14
04-28-2018, 03:11 PM
My folks spoilt me very early on with real maple syrup. I chuckle at folks who enjoy their imitation maple syrup -- which marketers have now labelled simply "syrup" -- but are put off when they taste the real stuff.

I heard once that the Vermont locals insist upon buying only the "Grade B" syrup, exporting the "Grade A" stuff to the rest of the country which doesn't know any better. Any truth to this?

leikec
04-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Maple syrup is awesome. Our local gives out maple cotton candy to visitors...pretty much heaven on earth to me.

Jeff C

David G
04-28-2018, 03:14 PM
My folks spoilt me very early on with real maple syrup. I chuckle at folks who enjoy their imitation maple syrup -- which marketers have now labelled simply "syrup" -- but are put off when they taste the real stuff.

I heard once that the Vermont locals insist upon buying only the "Grade B" syrup, exporting the "Grade A" stuff to the rest of the country which doesn't know any better. Any truth to this?

That may be a canard. Or a marketing ploy. But it was repeated to us by a friend's older relative who ran a small sugaring operation in New Hampshire. And we went home with some 'Grade B' syrup.

Paul Pless
04-28-2018, 03:17 PM
maple syrup from vermont??? who would buy such a thing . . . :D

leikec
04-28-2018, 03:19 PM
maple syrup from vermont??? who would buy such a thing . . . :D

:D

Jeff C

Todd D
04-28-2018, 03:27 PM
I ran out yesterday. There was just enough for my sourdough french toast. I am going to have to buy another half gallon.

Garret
04-28-2018, 04:15 PM

Exactly 180 off. You can have that bitter crap - though it's acceptable in baking.

Grade C is what' added to Aunt Jemima & the like. Black in color.

Pless is now on ignore. Michael needs therapy if he plans on staying in Canada.

David G
04-28-2018, 04:25 PM
Exactly 180 off. You can have that bitter crap - though it's acceptable in baking.

Grade C is what' added to Aunt Jemima & the like. Black in color.

Pless is now on ignore. Michael needs therapy if he plans on staying in Canada.

Wow... took you long enough. Pless should always, always, be on ignore. If nothing else, because he's Too Danged Tall!!! <G>

OK... seriously... you found B-grade 'bitter'? I found it stronger, for sure, and more 'vegetable' aftertastish. Now I'm getting curious. May have to get some more.

Garret
04-28-2018, 04:29 PM
Pless? Tall? Not hardly. Well below what I consider normal height.

Grade B is what's made at the end of the season. Scungy looking sap, lotsa bugs in it & often sugarmakers will squeeze a few gallons of buddy sap (sap produced after the trees have budded) into it, which gives it a delightful dead frog sorta taste.

David G
04-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Pless? Tall? Not hardly. Well below what I consider normal height.

Grade B is what's made at the end of the season. Scungy looking sap, lotsa bugs in it & often sugarmakers will squeeze a few gallons of buddy sap (sap produced after the trees have budded) into it, which gives it a delightful dead frog sorta taste.

<snort>

Paul Pless
04-28-2018, 04:36 PM
i'll be the first to admit, michigan bourbon sucks, pretty much all bourbon not made in kentucky (or tennessee ;)) sucks

but this michigan maple syrup that is aged in former bourbon barrels rocks, seriously rocks

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0468/8437/products/BLiS-Bourbon-Barrel-Matured-Maple-Syrup_grande.jpg?v=1497279124

RonP
04-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Sounds like a great place to make Rum!!
Do y’all have maple out there David? I grew up in the land of honey. And my neighbor planted a few acres of cane and had a hundred year old pot mill set up for boiling it and making sugar, syrup, molasses and treacle. Of course I’ve had maple syrup before, but I didn’t really appreciate it until moving here.

L.A Marche
04-28-2018, 06:07 PM
15088Just finished a batch of pear jelly. We froze most of last years pears.

JayInOz
04-28-2018, 06:17 PM
I like real maple syrup but it's really expensive here- the cheap stuff is corn syrup and glucose- pretty much the same recipe as cheap "honey". I tried to grow some of the trees for maple syrup. It's hard enough keeping them alive in this climate and the winters are nowhere near cold enough for them to be productive.

But! A local arborist sometimes drops off big logs for me to use for firewood or whatever. Last week he dropped off two huge truckloads containing a lot of smaller limbs- the stuff that usually goes through the chipper. I was wondering why he had dumped it on my place- not that I was complaining- the smaller stuff is a lot quicker to cut up. Investigation revealed a massive bees nest now in several pieces. I put chains around the sections with honey in them and dragged them way out into the open with my truck. I cut them into blocks about a foot long, ran a long bladed fillet knife around the inside from each end, and punched the comb out onto plastic feed bags. Heated it over a hot water bath and strained out the honey- took nearly two days, but we ended up with just under sixteen kilos- that's just over thirty five pounds- of fantastic wild honey. Grinnin:) JayInOz

JayInOz
04-29-2018, 12:02 AM
15088Just finished a batch of pear jelly. We froze most of last years pears.

L.A. if you're up for trying something different, try a batch with a quince added to half a dozen pears- I love the flavor and the colour. JayInOz

David G
04-29-2018, 09:58 AM
One Vermonteer, with a heart of gold, has offered to hook me up with some fresh squeezin's from his neighbor's sugaring operation. I'm really looking forward to it. Really, really, really!!

I think he's hoping that, if my hands are all sticky, I'll have to stay away from the keyboard for a while <G>

L.A Marche
04-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Quince jelly is a fave, tho they’re hard to find here as no one grows them commercially. Might be able to find some old trees in a backyard, worth hopping a fence for.

David G
04-29-2018, 11:28 AM
Quince jelly is a fave, tho they’re hard to find here as no one grows them commercially. Might be able to find some old trees in a backyard, worth hopping a fence for.

We rented an old farmhouse for a few years, which had a prolific quince bush/tree in the back yard. My girlfriend tried making quince jelly. Couldn't GET enough sugar in it to make it good. Maybe there's some other trick?

woodpile
04-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Wasn't a great year for maple syrup in the north east, we typically averaged a 45:1 ratio of sap to syrup, this year we we're in the 50+:1 ratio. Talking to boilers north of us they felt we had too much water in the ground that was diluting the sugar content in the sap.

Garret
04-29-2018, 12:04 PM
Wasn't a great year for maple syrup in the north east, we typically averaged a 45:1 ratio of sap to syrup, this year we we're in the 50+:1 ratio. Talking to boilers north of us they felt we had too much water in the ground that was diluting the sugar content in the sap.

All of the folks around me that use vacuum were getting 2.1-2.3% sugar content in their sap. Our little 50 bucket operation averaged 3.4-3.5%.

Here in northern VT, there were 2 runs this year - one in February & another in late March, early April. The folks who tapped for the early run got decent amounts of sap in the early run, but really low quantities for the second. Since we were lazy, we didn't tap for February. The late run was fantastic for us & we set a new record for syrup produced by these trees.

Like any form of agriculture, seasons vary... However, this was a really odd one.

L.A Marche
04-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Quince jelly is usually on the loose side of the setting scale. Most old apple orchards usually had a few quince trees planted at the end of the rows.
Our pear is a cutting from a three hundred plus year old tree planted by Jesuit missionaries as they traveled the Great Lakes. The local ag research station grew them about 10 years ago, I think someone my wife knows was the project leader. The pears, light green with a red blush never soften on or off the tree, their sugar content has markedly increased since first fruiting one pear five years ago to last years bushel and a half. I don’t think they were intended as hand fruit, but for pickling or cider.

On the OP, ya’ll just missed the Elmira Maple Syrup Festival, the largest one day maple syrup festival in the world. Starts about 6am and pretty much done by 2. I mostly go for the food venders, anything that can be eaten off a stick or on a bun, pancakes too. While eating while walking we buy our years supply of syrup, 4l for about $40.

David G
05-07-2018, 09:38 PM
A huge thank you to JH for the shipment of Vermont maple syrple - from his neighbors at the Elmore Mountain Maple Works. It just arrived today, and I couldn't wait to have something appropriate to pour it on... so I just sampled a spoonful. Mighty good!!! Mighty good.

mmd
05-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Bleccch! <grin>

Ian McColgin
05-08-2018, 09:31 AM
As some here know, my brother managed to move from Philadelphia, where he was a senior federal public defender appellate attorney, to nothern Vermont where he is doing trial work in the Federeal defenders office. His first assigned case was a federal beef against some hapless schmuck accused of counterfeiting maple syrup. It took him a bit to realize that this was real, not a snipe hunt.

Garret
05-08-2018, 10:17 AM
As some here know, my brother managed to move from Philadelphia, where he was a senior federal public defender appellate attorney, to nothern Vermont where he is doing trial work in the Federeal defenders office. His first assigned case was a federal beef against some hapless schmuck accused of counterfeiting maple syrup. It took him a bit to realize that this was real, not a snipe hunt.

That is indeed taken very seriously here. Why? VT is the #1 state for maple syrup production in the US (though dwarfed by Quebec) & it plays an important role in our state's economy. Not only that, but historically, it's been a mom & pop industry - largely supplementing farm incomes. VT has a strong brand identity & if that gets damaged, it will never come back to what it once was.

Counterfeiting syrup is also lucrative: $40 a gallon vs. some water, 50 cents worth of corn syrup & a little grade C mixed in for flavor. You can easily make $30+ per gallon - including labor. Note that the recipe I just listed is what you get with Aunt Jemima or whatever... ;)

David G
05-09-2018, 04:11 PM
Sampled it for real last night. Both boys birthdays are in early May, so we had them over for a bbq last night. For dessert - a storebought cake, with vanilla ice cream... over which we drizzled some of that maple syrup. It was a real hit. I just had a reprise for today's lunch.

David G
05-10-2018, 08:51 AM
So today, it was drizzled into my oatmeal with sliced bananas. Mmmmmm!!

But a question for the experts. When asked for my preferences, I specified only 'stoutly flavorful'. So what I got was labeled : GradeA; Dark Color; Robust Taste. And it is very flavorful. And yet there is a lightness. A hint of floral. Or maybe it's just vegetable/barky. Not bad at all, at all. Just interesting. Any thoughts?

Garret
05-10-2018, 10:09 AM
That's the one. While some "experts" will go for Fancy what's now called "Golden" grade, to me it's too light in flavor. "Amber" will still have good flavor, but a bit lighter than what you have.

What they now call "Very Dark" can have some bitterness - best used in cooking IMO. "Processing" grade is like coal oil - black & very bitter - it's what Aunt Jemima & the like use.

Freshness is key in maple syrup. The difference between syrup straight out of the pan (when it's boiled to 219 degrees) & packed syrup is bigger than a fresh keg vs. a 3 month old bottle.

Also - if yours came in a plastic jug, get it out of there & into glass once you've opened it. Keep it refrigerated (which also keeps it dark - dark as in no light hitting it). Plastic will degrade the taste over time. Some people swear by freezing it - but I have no personal experience.

David G
05-10-2018, 10:19 AM
That's the one. While some "experts" will go for Fancy what's now called "Golden" grade, to me it's too light in flavor. "Amber" will still have good flavor, but a bit lighter than what you have.

What they now call "Very Dark" can have some bitterness - best used in cooking IMO. "Processing" grade is like coal oil - black & very bitter - it's what Aunt Jemima & the like use.

Freshness is key in maple syrup. The difference between syrup straight out of the pan (when it's boiled to 219 degrees) & packed syrup is bigger than a fresh keg vs. a 3 month old bottle.

Also - if yours came in a plastic jug, get it out of there & into glass once you've opened it. Keep it refrigerated (which also keeps it dark - dark as in no light hitting it). Plastic will degrade the taste over time. Some people swear by freezing it - but I have no personal experience.

Thanks for the tip about getting it out of the plastic jug it came in. I shall.

So you think that 'floral' lightness is the freshness speaking?

Garret
05-10-2018, 10:23 AM
Yes I do. Your syrup is probably less than a month old - so quite fresh. That "floral" flavor will be there down the road - just less pronounced.

David G
05-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the tip about getting it out of the plastic jug it came in. I shall.

So you think that 'floral' lightness is the freshness speaking?

Well... I've always really liked maple syrple. But this is something a step above. I. Am. Loving. It.

Garret
05-10-2018, 12:08 PM
I just had a salad with olive oil, a bit of mustard, balsamic & maple syrup dressing. Yum!

Jay Greer
05-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Better on buckwheat pancakes than in the bilge to feed the rot spores! Yum! Yum! I miss those old "Log Cabin Syrup" cans as well!
Jay
Here is the modern version.
https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-Maple-Syrup-Cabin-Grade/dp/B00T5FZAGA