X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CWSmith
    New Hampshire
    • Nov 2008

Senator-elect Doug Jones

With so much focus on the offensive behavior of his competition, Judge Roy Moore, I and I think many others failed to fully appreciate what kind of man Doug Jones is:

Gordon Douglas Jones (born May 4, 1954) is an American attorney and politician. He is a former federal prosecutor, and is the United States Senator-elect from Alabama.

Jones served as the United States Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama from 1997 to 2001. He prosecuted the remaining two Ku Klux Klan perpetrators of the 1963 church bombing which killed four African-American girls, and also secured an indictment against the Atlanta Olympic Park Bomber.[1]

In January 1998, Eric Rudolph bombed the New Woman All Women Health Care Center in Birmingham. Jones became responsible for coordinating the state and federal task force in the aftermath, and advocated for Rudolph to be tried first in Birmingham before being extradited and tried in Georgia for his crimes in that state, such as the Centennial Olympic Park bombing.[11][12]

Jones prosecuted Thomas Edwin Blanton Jr. and Bobby Frank Cherry, two members of the Ku Klux Klan, for their roles in the 1963 16th Street Baptist Church bombing. The case was reopened the year before Jones was appointed, but did not pick up traction until his appointment. A federal grand jury was called in 1998 which piqued the attention of Cherry's ex-wife, Willadean Cherry, and led her to call the FBI to report her testimony. Willadean then introduced Jones to family and friends who reported their own experiences from the time of the bombing. A key piece of evidence was a tape from the time of the bombing in which Blanton stated that he had plotted with others to make the bomb. Jones was deputized in order to argue in state court and was able to indict Blanton and Cherry in 2000.[13][14] Blanton was found guilty in 2001, and Cherry was found guilty in 2002. Both Blanton and Cherry were sentenced to life in prison. Blanton was up for parole in 2016, at which Jones spoke in opposition to his potential release. Blanton's parole was denied. Cherry died in prison in 2004.[15][16]
    There is more. I recommend reading it. He seems that he will be an excellent United States Senator.

"Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
  • Sky Blue
    Banned
    • Feb 2014

Re: Senator-elect Doug Jones

Already he sounds like a good Republican. This is looking more and more like a win for Republicans.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
      • Apr 1999

Jones is an honest conservative Democrat.

Comment

• Garret
        Hills of Vermont
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Sky Blue
        Already he sounds like a good Republican. This is looking more and more like a win for Republicans.
        If today's Republican party had any decency or ethics, he might've been.
        "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Yeadon
          𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝
          • May 2006

Looks like he has one more trial to deal with.
          Originally posted by James McMullen
          Yeadon is right, of course.

Comment

• Sky Blue
            Banned
            • Feb 2014

Jones has already taken up the Administration's talking points on the assault allegations against Trump.

Comment

• CWSmith
              New Hampshire
              • Nov 2008

Sadly, Jones is right about Trump not stepping down. It doesn't mean that Trump is innocent. He has already bragged about his guilt. If Trump resigns he creates a weapon the GOP will use against every Democrat from here on because, as we all know, the GOP lies.
              "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Sky Blue
                Banned
                • Feb 2014

I think we'll be seeing Jones hewing quite close to Trump.

Comment

• LeeG
                  • May 2002

ah the royal we

Comment

Working...