PDA

View Full Version : Scotland vs. Trump

Jim Bow
12-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Perhaps a Scot or two could translate a couple of these signs.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/yer-maw-was-an-immigrant?utm_term=.axzpE0O9g#.ygE5xWE8Q

StevenBauer
12-11-2017, 04:51 PM
This one’s good:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3cSmUOWYAEOmFK?format=jpg

birlinn
12-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Translate which ones?

Clarkey
12-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Just......gonnae no. (No. 15)

Peerie Maa
12-11-2017, 05:06 PM
I can do most of them for you, based on 4 years in Glesga.

Maw = mother. Roaster = Can be used to describe someone who is making a complete silly billy of themselves.
Needs no translation
T##t = front bottom or extremely silly billy.
Chapati to your head is new on me. yer Bam = you barmpot, idiot
A poke at St Andrews, a posh town.
Away and sh!te= Go away and defecate.
The missing letter is "U"
Bampots against the ban?
See 6 above
A bit erudite in a medical way. :D
Does this need explained to a Yank?
Dug /= Douglas. Dug = dog.
Bawbag = scrotum.. See also 1 above.
Ditto
Hey, we are not going to let you do that.
Numpty = a very silly billy.
If I told you I'd be banned.;)
A word play on a Scottish kids rhyme, you cannot push your grandmother off of the omnibus.
This side of the pond that is a front bottom.

birlinn
12-11-2017, 05:12 PM
As you can see, the guy is really loved here!

Peerie Maa
12-11-2017, 05:31 PM
As you can see, the guy is really loved here!

You come across 4 before?

LeeG
12-11-2017, 05:33 PM
but he’s really popular in India!

I read it on the internet.

birlinn
12-11-2017, 05:39 PM
You come across 4 before?

A new one on me too.

But: my poppadum told me...

Peerie Maa
12-11-2017, 05:49 PM
^ :d :d :d

Dave Lesser
12-11-2017, 07:16 PM
The Scots have some history with Trump. Viewer discretion advised (language). But that's the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbTmXsfiYk

LeeG
12-11-2017, 07:31 PM
The Scots have some history with Trump. Viewer discretion advised (language). But that's the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbTmXsfiYk

thx!

S.V. Airlie
12-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Brilliant!

McMike
12-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Priceless Dave.

Sky Blue
12-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Jockodacious!

Foster Price
12-11-2017, 09:31 PM
What a ripper !!!

isla
12-12-2017, 01:33 PM
I posted this about a year ago, but I suppose it's worth another run..

We all know Trump lies, but this one is my favourites. It's from an interview with John Sweeney in which he discusses his Aberdeenshire golf course, built on the sand dunes of the Menie estate on the Aberdeenshire coast.
At 11:20 in the video he suggests that his golf course "improved" the area. He says..

"Those dunes were in terrible shape. It was used as a dumping ground for cars and oil cans, it was terrible the condition".. 10 Pinocchios for that one :d

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlHvVbHqVI (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlHvVbHqVI)

A year ago, when I first posted this stuff, on the golf course website Trump said it was unspoiled.. Checking today I see that this introduction from Trump is no longer on the website, but I still have it copied into a text file from last year |;)

Greetings from Donald J. Trump
When I saw this piece of land I was overwhelmed by the imposing dunes and rugged Aberdeenshire coastline. I knew that this was the perfect site for Trump International, Scotland. I have never seen such an unspoiled and dramatic sea side landscape and the location makes it perfect for our development.

So completely contradicting what he told John Sweeney in the interview.

But, more importantly, I know the Menie estate because of my own, and my wife's, involvement with the area which was designated as an SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) and was much used by academics from Aberdeen University for research purposes. The SSSI designation was for several different reasons. The dynamic dune system is unique and has been the subject of much study by Geographers and Fluid Dynamic experts. Many flint arrowheads and tools have been found there so it was studied by Archeologists, and some of the flora and fauna were also unique and studied by botanists and zoologists, my wife included. I can confirm from our frequent visits to the estate, that it was completely wild and unspoiled.

Norman Bernstein
12-12-2017, 01:50 PM
The video was absolutely priceless! :):)

S.V. Airlie
12-12-2017, 02:04 PM
Isla, The only country I found Trash in, in 14 countries or more, were the canals in Switzerland; Human waste at that! I never saw any litter, broken down vehicles in Scotland, not in England, Sweden, Norway, Holland, Germany etc. Except I did get a flat tire while biking in the rain going into Germany from Denmark. Trash on the roads etc. is an American thing as far as I can tell.

isla
12-12-2017, 02:09 PM
The video was absolutely priceless! :):)

Trump is so transparent. I love the bit around 5:00 where he talks about discussing wind farms with Alex Salmond.

He says..
"I also discussed it with George Sorial and I believe there was somebody else there also, this was a while ago, they remembered the conversation also..(I can't remember who else was at the meeting, but I know they remember the conversation)??

isla
12-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Meanwhile, Trump's golf course has ruined the scientific value of the area, and has never generated the promised economic boost.

Ecologists expect Aberdeenshire sand dunes to lose conservation protection because of presidentís golf course.

Expert ecologists, including one who advised on the US presidentís original plans for the course a decade ago, believe the sand dunes will be stripped of their status as a site of special scientific interest (SSSI) by the governmentís conservation agency, Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH).

Trump won approval to build on the legally protected dunes because he had pledged to create up 6,000 jobs by building a five-star hotel with 450 rooms, shops, a sports complex, timeshare flats, two golf courses and housing estates at an estimated cost of £1bn.

To date, Trump has so far built one 18-hole course which is only open for seven months a year, a practice range and a small clubhouse with a restaurant and shop, and converted the estateís manor house into a boutique hotel with 16 rooms. It employs the full-time equivalent of 95 people.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/08/trump-golf-course-has-ruined-dunes-habitat

SKIP KILPATRICK
12-13-2017, 11:38 AM
Winning!

S.V. Airlie
12-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Meanwhile, Trump's golf course has ruined the scientific value of the area, and has never generated the promised economic boost.

Ecologists expect Aberdeenshire sand dunes to lose conservation protection because of president’s golf course.

Expert ecologists, including one who advised on the US president’s original plans for the course a decade ago, believe the sand dunes will be stripped of their status as a site of special scientific interest (SSSI) by the government’s conservation agency, Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH).

Trump won approval to build on the legally protected dunes because he had pledged to create up 6,000 jobs by building a five-star hotel with 450 rooms, shops, a sports complex, timeshare flats, two golf courses and housing estates at an estimated cost of £1bn.

To date, Trump has so far built one 18-hole course which is only open for seven months a year, a practice range and a small clubhouse with a restaurant and shop, and converted the estate’s manor house into a boutique hotel with 16 rooms. It employs the full-time equivalent of 95 people.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/08/trump-golf-course-has-ruined-dunes-habitatTrump improved the area so much! Three yrs of work to destroy the sand dunes that wouldn't be able to recover in 1,000 yrs. Good show moron.

downthecreek
12-13-2017, 11:56 AM

I told my 102 year old, genuinely Scottish, mother that Trump's mother was a Scot. (His, apparently, a MacLeod of Lewis. Mine, a MacDonald of Skye) Her reply was "well then, she should be ashamed of herself!"

Sky Blue
12-13-2017, 11:59 AM
Trump and the Scots are made for each other. Brutish, territorial, a grievance-based tribalism. The whole deal. It's all there.

Bobcat
12-13-2017, 12:10 PM
Trump and the Scots are made for each other. Brutish, territorial, a grievance-based tribalism. The whole deal. It's all there.

Nice painting with a very broad brush! I am waiting for your next posts: "People from Africa dance well" and "the Chinese are inscrutable"

downthecreek
12-13-2017, 12:12 PM

No wonder you love him so much!

But your trolling gets ever more idiotic. Trumpophilia'll do that, y'know....... :rolleyes:

Peerie Maa
12-13-2017, 12:22 PM

You missed out well educated, erudite, world leaders in medicine and engineering.

Oh wait . . . .

isla
12-13-2017, 12:26 PM
You missed out well educated, erudite, world leaders in medicine and engineering.

Oh wait . . . .

And they invented golf :d

Peerie Maa
12-13-2017, 12:29 PM
And they invented golf :d

A good walk spoiled. Ah well, can't have it all.

isla
12-13-2017, 12:33 PM
A good walk spoiled. Ah well, can't have it all.

BY:D That's a very apt quote in this context. My wife and I had many a fine walk on those dunes back in the day, but these days access is denied :pmad:

S.V. Airlie
12-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Trump and the Scots are made for each other. Brutish, territorial, a grievance-based tribalism. The whole deal. It's all there.And you know this because you've been there right SB?

robm
12-13-2017, 01:15 PM
Trump is half Scottish. His mother was born and raised less than 5 miles from where my grandfather came from on the island of Lewis. He doesn't seem to have inherited any of the better Scottish traits or attitudes.

downthecreek
12-13-2017, 01:17 PM
And you know this because you've been there right SB?

I suspect the poor deluded soul has been infected with his hero's lack of interest in, or grasp of, reality. His Trumpophilia is really kicking in these days. Sad! So sad! |:(

S.V. Airlie
12-13-2017, 01:17 PM
Trump is half Scottish. His mother was born and raised less than 5 miles from where my grandfather came from on the island of Lewis. He doesn't seem to have inherited any of the better Scottish traits or attitudes.I wish his mother had stayed there too!

Garret
12-13-2017, 01:29 PM
I wish his mother had stayed there too!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b3/22/0d/b3220d335ac0d016e26e7f3ed73e6c66.jpg

isla
12-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Bump.

I just sent my pet fox over to Trump's golf course..

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/3810/production/_99225341_douglas-croft_must-have-three-putted_00000012.jpg

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-16-2017, 04:28 AM
BY:D That's a very apt quote in this context. My wife and I had many a fine walk on those dunes back in the day, but these days access is denied :pmad:

How does that stand up in the face of the various Land Reform Acts?

isla
12-16-2017, 05:07 AM
How does that stand up in the face of the various Land Reform Acts?

As far as I remember, the 'Right to Roam' is encapsulated in the Land Reform Act of 2003. More recent acts are more concerned with right to purchase, community ownership etc.

Under Part 1 of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 there is a right of responsible non-motorised access, for recreational and other purposes, to land and inland water throughout Scotland with few exceptions. The Scottish Outdoor Access Code sets out where access rights apply and what you can do within access rights. It also describes where you cannot go in exercising access rights, such as fields of crops or the gardens of houses.

I suppose saying 'access is denied' is a bit strong. I will amend that to 'discouraged'. We can still legally walk on the Trump estate, but there have been several cases of walkers being harassed and photographed by security guards. A female walker was photographed taking a leak..

A rambler called Rohan Beyts, a retired social worker active in the Tripping Up Trump campaign group, was charged under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act for allegedly urinating in the dunes while she was out walking on the course with a fellow campaigner, Sue Edwards, in April. Beyts was told by police that she had been filmed by Trump staff using their mobile phones ducking down behind a dune. As she and Edwards walked off the course, a photographer believed to work for a local paper jumped out of a car and photographed them.
Beyts said prosecutors advised her in a statutory warning letter that the unproven charges would be put on record. She has refused to admit the charges and challenged the decision to issue a warning letter. “I find it very uncomfortable,” she said last week. “We always thought we were being watched. When they were building the course, every time we set foot on it [there were] security guards there instantly.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/11/trump-scottish-golf-resort-admits-breaching-data-protection-law

Whatever you might think of that incident, I'm an old geezer with a dodgy prostate. If my wife and I did the walk we used to do, then I would probably have to pee in the bushes several times. Anyway, it was mainly my wife's academic research and my work with Aberdeen University that took us regularly to the Menie estate, and it is over 40 miles away. We have many other walks to choose from, but it is a great shame for those who live nearby that they feel threatened walking there.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-16-2017, 05:44 AM
Kinder scout needs to be revisited, in spirit at least.

isla
12-16-2017, 06:53 AM
Kinder scout needs to be revisited, in spirit at least.

It's sort of ongoing..

http://bright-green.org/2016/11/05/21-acts-of-defiance-scottish-peoples-10-year-war-against-trump-and-the-politicans-who-backed-him/

isla
12-16-2017, 07:31 PM
Private security staff hired by Donald Trump to guard his Aberdeenshire golf course hid their handcuffs after concerns were raised by police.

Internal emails and reports released by Police Scotland also reveal that the police were concerned that the Trump organisation failed to understand Scotland’s land reform law giving the public the right to roam across golf courses.

Police Scotland have released 49 files of documents on its dealings with Trump International Golf Links Scotland (TIGLS) since 2009. All the files were provided in response to a request under freedom of information law in June 2016, and are today being published by The Ferret.

https://theferret.scot/police-trump-failing-access-law/

Sky Blue
12-16-2017, 07:54 PM
That's a real scoop, Isla. Thanks for staying on the case.

CWSmith
12-16-2017, 08:22 PM
Does Britain's invitation to Trump still stand? Opposition in Parliament was rather heated about a week ago.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
12-17-2017, 04:49 AM
He should visit the earthquake victims of Iran first.