PDA

View Full Version : Advances to Brain-Interface Technology Provide Clearer Insight Into Visual System

sharpiefan
12-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Advances to Brain-Interface Technology Provide Clearer Insight Into Visual System Than Ever Before (ARTICLE LINK) (https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news-stories/2017/december/neuroscientists-engineers-new-eeg.html)

https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/news-stories/2017/december/images/HDEEGCapV1_900x600.jpg

Image: High density EEG cap

Excerpt
Carnegie Mellon University engineers and cognitive neuroscientists have demonstrated that a new high-density EEG can capture the brain’s neural activity at a higher spatial resolution than ever before.

This next generation brain-interface technology is the first non-invasive, high-resolution system of its kind, providing higher density and coverage than any existing system. It has the potential to revolutionize future clinical and neuroscience research as well as brain-computer interfaces.

To test the custom-modified EEG, the research team had 16 participants view pattern-reversing black and white checkerboards while wearing the new “super-Nyquist density” EEG. They compared the results from all electrodes to results when using only a subset of the electrodes, which is an accepted standard for EEG density. Published in Scientific Reports,the results showed that the new “super-Nyquist” EEG captured more information from the visual cortex than any of the four standard “Nyquist density” versions tested.

#include [std-disclaimer]

TomF
12-08-2017, 03:23 PM
high tech dreadlocks?

Chris249
12-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Hmmm..... I wonder if my wife's lab budget is going to stretch to one of those? She's a neuroscientist, formerly working in vision from the same unis as the lead researcher. She's got smaller but similar systems and she's hoping to set them up in a van so she can take it to test people in remote and regional areas. The major current project is using EEG and other measures to provide the first objective evidence of Parkinson's progress.

If she ever upgrades to the unit mentioned in the OP, I just don't want to be around her when she's spent a day or two trying to trace which one of those electrodes is faulty!