PDA

View Full Version : The Heron, More Stuff

Dave Fleming
08-17-2003, 11:52 PM
The launch story and more.
Heron Launch (http://camden.villagesoup.com/Community/Story.cfm?StoryID=16814)

The yard that built her.

Heron Builders (http://www.woodenboatco.com/)

[ 08-18-2003, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

Bernadette
08-18-2003, 02:38 AM
Bravo Dave!!!!!
Thanks very much for the links to the Schooner Heron news. I enjoyed that!!!
She's such a beauty.
Bernadette.

rbgarr
08-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Dave-
I noticed that you have a skylight binnacle on a post in your cockpit. There's a new forumite (Ciclon) who's been posting in his search for one. Any suggestions for him?

Dave Fleming
08-18-2003, 10:14 AM
RG, I did not make such a posting. Must be someone else or am I misunderstanding you?

rbgarr
08-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Dave- I saw HERON at the float in Rockport. I noticed that she has a skylight binnacle on a bronze (?) column or post just forward of the helm in the cockpit.

There is a new forumite named Ciclon who is looking for one like that for his boat, an older S&S design. I was just wondering if you had any ideas for where he might find one.

[ 08-18-2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]

Dave Fleming
08-18-2003, 06:18 PM
Ah Ha, comes the dawn!
Our very own 'Master of URLs' DonnW aka O&O East, if memory serves, posted some info on the item in question in the last day or so. See if you can find his post

rbgarr
08-18-2003, 09:41 PM
Yup... that's the thread I was referring to.

I was asking if you had anything to add to that thread regarding where you got the binnacle for HERON. (Guess you don't. ;) )

[ 08-18-2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]

Dave Fleming
08-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Rg, I am out here in San Diego and have nothing to do with the Heron another Forum member is the one who was working on her, folla?

JeffH
08-19-2003, 05:44 PM
That particular binnacle on Heron was kindly donated by a local fellow who happened to have one kicking around. Good to have friends, sometimes... ;)

Went sailing yesterday in about 18 knots, full sail. Yeeeeeeeha! Rockport to North Haven to Owl's Head and back in three hours. Don't know what that works out to speed (GPS isn't out of the box yet), but it was hull speed most of the time. Steady as a freight train, too. Sadly, my camera was at home on the 'puter. I'll take it next time, promise!

Jeff

Bernadette
08-20-2003, 03:32 AM
Jeff, I won't chastise you this time for NOT TAKING YOUR CAMERA!!!! but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't forget next time. I guess sometimes it's just neat to go sailing and enjoy the ride without the bother of taking pictures....you kind-of lose some of the thrill. Anyhow, tie a bit of string around your finger for next time.
Bernadette smile.gif

[ 08-20-2003, 04:32 AM: Message edited by: Bernadette & David Hedger ]

rbgarr
08-20-2003, 07:10 AM
Gotcha, Dave. I thought you were part of the crew that built HERON.

JeffH- I 'thought' the binnacle might have been a gift since there was no compass inside. Sounds like a great sail, and just so you know, the REBECCA, designed and built by Gannon and Benjamin, and described in Ruhlman's book, THE WOODEN BOAT (correct title?) is at anchor in Boothbay Harbor as I write this and will be heading down your way. Any message I could pass on to them?!?

[ 08-20-2003, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: rbgarr ]