PDA

View Full Version : aerotoxic syndrome.

CK 17
11-23-2017, 04:07 PM
This effects every aircraft type, except the B-787. It’s usually a humid smell, some say dirty socks. Others smell other things.

When I first heard about his I put it in the conspiracy theory bin. Now I’m not so sure. These fume events That make it into the logbook are rare. Smelling a smell inflight is not infrequent. The problem comes in sorting the real deal from a smelly environment entering the cabin. There is no warning message on a screen—it’s your nose, and how you feel. because the effects aren’t consistent from person to person, it gets more complicated.

https://davidlearmount.com/2017/08/30/a-subject-that-needs-airing-again/amp/

“Recorded fume events causing sensory impairment and incapacitation of pilots and cabin crew are numerous, but listing them all is of limited use because the stories are remarkably similar. In terms of scale, an event over Canada on 24 October last year is notable because it involved an Airbus A380, but similar events have been recorded on all types large and small. In the A380 case British Airways flight 286 en route San Francisco-London was over Saskatchewan when it was forced to divert to Vancouver with a major fume event that incapacitated at least eight crew members, forcing them to go onto oxygen. When it landed all three pilots and 22 cabin crew were taken to hospital, and many of them were unfit for work months later, according to their union, Unite. The condition of the passengers is unknown. There has been no formal inquiry by British authorities into the event, and BA was left alone to deal with it. BA says the aircraft’s flight back to London was uneventful.
Some individual aircraft become notorious for fume events but remain in service with no follow-up by the authorities. An example is N251AY, a US Airways Boeing 767-200. On 16 January 2010 it operated a flight from St Thomas, US Virgin Islands, to Charlotte, North Carolina with 174 passengers and seven crew on board. During the flight the cabin crew noticed an unpleasant smell in the cabin, and the pilots suffered the onset of headaches, sore throat and eye irritation. By the time they were managing the approach to Charlotte they began to feel groggy and had difficulty in concentrating, but they landed the aircraft safely. During the en-route phase the pilots had messaged base to request medical attendance on arrival.
The event has been confirmed by US Airways but is not recorded by the FAA or the National Transportation Safety Board. Crew blood tests on arrival confirmed high levels of carboxyhaemoglobin, all the symptoms persisted for days, and the feeling of fatigue never left the pilots. They had their aircrew medical clearance rescinded and lost their pilot licences.”

Tom Wilkinson
11-23-2017, 07:15 PM
I don't understand the events where they say they FAA has no record of it. It should have been a write up in the aircraft logbook and would have to be addressed prior to another flight. Smoke/fume/odor issues are usually an ingestion issue of some sort that contaminated the pneumatic system and then the air conditioning packs.
Oil seal failures, hydraulic leaks contaminating the APU inlet, air cycle machine bearing failure (though most of those have air bearings now). We have a fairly rigorous procedure to troubleshoot and correct it when it occurs which often includes a test flight to ensure its fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince Brennan
11-23-2017, 09:41 PM
The avionics equivalent of Morgellon's Disease (https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6517156/morgellons-disease-joni-mitchell-rare-condition)?

Reynard38
11-23-2017, 10:10 PM
Water separator bags need changing?

Dave Hadfield
11-23-2017, 10:41 PM
Eating Indian food on London layovers, and drinking dark ale.

Very toxic.

epoxyboy
11-24-2017, 12:08 AM
Flying through too many chemtrails?

Pete

Phil Y
11-24-2017, 12:56 AM
I used to work for an Australian company which operated 25 or so BAe 146's. Lots of fume events. I think they were tracked to a specific bearing in the apu. Only tended to happen at top of descent. Just a particular slight movement of the bearing as the aircraft slowed, or descended, or both.

Tom Wilkinson
11-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Water separator bags need changing?

Only a few commercial aircraft use them. Changing them is usually part of the process of repairing the problem but it's almost never the cause.