PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin opening day statistics

CK 17
11-22-2017, 02:00 PM
4 shot. 2 dead, 1 of natural causes and 1 shot in a blind. All hunters.

how are the other 49 states doing? Can’t wait to walk the dog this weekend.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/11/20/deer-hunters-dead/880008001/

SKIP KILPATRICK
11-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Good golly!!!! Adds new meaning to "duck season" doesn't it!

TomF
11-22-2017, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQyoSLOlglw

SKIP KILPATRICK
11-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Gary Larson:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_y1obSLk0ax4/TQXZx_9r78I/AAAAAAAAGpk/8jRAxLLZg5I/s1600/FarSide-Deer.jpg

Paul Pless
11-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Can’t wait to walk the dog this weekend.i actually left rural hell and drove into a large city to walk my dog in a 'metropark' on opening day last week

CWSmith
11-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Can’t wait to walk the dog this weekend.

If you love your dog, stay on the road. What do they call it, "Buck fever"?

SKIP KILPATRICK
11-22-2017, 02:36 PM
One Thanksgiving our hosts Labrador retriever was shot and killed by a hunter. The guy who did the deed said he thought it was a turkey.

The dog wasn't more than twenty feet from the boy who was taking it for a walk when it happened.

Canoez
11-22-2017, 02:41 PM
4 shot. 2 dead, 1 of natural causes and 1 shot in a blind. All hunters.

how are the other 49 states doing? Can’t wait to walk the dog this weekend.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/11/20/deer-hunters-dead/880008001/

Mountain biker wounded in New Hampshire. Haven't heard anything else from New England, yet.

We're supposed to head out for a hike on Sunday. Let's hope everyone is obeying the rules regarding not hunting on Sundays.

Canoez
11-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Gary Larson:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_y1obSLk0ax4/TQXZx_9r78I/AAAAAAAAGpk/8jRAxLLZg5I/s1600/FarSide-Deer.jpg

Had a universally disliked plant manager at my first job in Vermont. Employees offered to buy him a white sweater and suede jacket to keep warm when he arrived from down South that Fall. He didn't get it.

SKIP KILPATRICK
11-22-2017, 02:48 PM
^ rotflmao

paulf
11-22-2017, 03:03 PM
One Thanksgiving our hosts Labrador retriever was shot and killed by a hunter. The guy who did the deed said he thought it was a turkey.

The dog wasn't more than twenty feet from the boy who was taking it for a walk when it happened.

Perhaps a case of, Your mutt is scaring away my game, therefor it must die!

SKIP KILPATRICK
11-22-2017, 03:10 PM
You may be right. It was up in the Virginia mountains, there are some mean folks scattered around up there.

paulf
11-22-2017, 03:18 PM
You may be right. It was up in the Virginia mountains, there are some mean folks scattered around up there.

Neighborhood dogs that run game here get shot all the time. In fact, if a dog trespasses and harms farm animals can be legally shot in Washington State.

CK 17
11-22-2017, 04:53 PM
My wife is buying an orange dog vest. However, given how the first few days are going, the mut might be safer with antlers. I’m assuming all shot were wearing vests.

Todd Bradshaw
11-22-2017, 05:08 PM
The Republican idiots here just passed a law that now even lets kindergarteners in Wisconsin shoot deer. Then again, the average kindergartener is probably smarter and has better judgment than the average Republican lawmaker.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/6-year-old-girl-bags-buck-under-new-hunting-age-law/660109757

Garret
11-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Mountain biker wounded in New Hampshire. Haven't heard anything else from New England, yet.

We're supposed to head out for a hike on Sunday. Let's hope everyone is obeying the rules regarding not hunting on Sundays.

Huh? Sunday is the last day here. Don't walk in VT - anyone still out is desperate!

Garret
11-22-2017, 05:30 PM
Neighborhood dogs that run game here get shot all the time. In fact, if a dog trespasses and harms farm animals can be legally shot in Washington State.

Ditto here.

Years ago, I was living in a funky little camp & had my dog tied outside - max 10' from the door. I heard some shots - followed by an almost immediate thud sorta sound. I looked out the window & saw that the shots were being aimed near the dog. Not at - but obviously trying to spook her.

I baled out a window on the other side of the camp, circled around & came down on the 2 teenage boys about 50 yards above the camp. I said hello & after getting close enough reached out & touched the barrels of their guns. One was hot & the other cold. "Were you shooting near my dog down at the camp?" "Uh, not at him - just near him!". I pulled the gun out of his hands, emptied it, grabbed the end of the barrel & hit it on a tree just as hard as I could. Busted up the receiver & cracked the stock. Handed it back to him & said "Don't ever do it again & get outa here." They skedaddled - their eyes the size of saucers.

About 7PM that evening I got a call: "Is this the fella living in the old Bowen camp?" [In VT, a house is known by the name of the former owner - or from an earlier owner if he/she was well known] "Yes it is, what can I do for you?" "My son told me that you busted up his gun this afternoon. Did you & if you did, mind telling me why?". I explained what had happened. "Thought it might be something like that. Well, I appreciate your not calling the cops, but the only thing is, he took my favorite deer rifle without asking this morning." I said "Ouch! Sorry!" "Not half as sorry as he's gonna be!. Thank you for your time."

CWSmith
11-22-2017, 05:40 PM
About 7PM that evening I got a call: "Is this the fella living in the old Bowen camp?" [In VT, a house is known by the name of the former owner - or from an earlier owner if he/she was well known] "Yes it is, what can I do for you?" "My son told me that you busted up his gun this afternoon. Did you & if you did, mind telling me why?". I explained what had happened. "Thought it might be something like that. Well, I appreciate your not calling the cops, but the only thing is, he took my favorite deer rifle without asking this morning." I said "Ouch! Sorry!" "Not half as sorry as he's gonna be!. Thank you for your time."

Good parenting, sort of.

paulf
11-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Ditto here.

Years ago, I was living in a funky little camp & had my dog tied outside - max 10' from the door. I heard some shots - followed by an almost immediate thud sorta sound. I looked out the window & saw that the shots were being aimed near the dog. Not at - but obviously trying to spook her.

I baled out a window on the other side of the camp, circled around & came down on the 2 teenage boys about 50 yards above the camp. I said hello & after getting close enough reached out & touched the barrels of their guns. One was hot & the other cold. "Were you shooting near my dog down at the camp?" "Uh, not at him - just near him!". I pulled the gun out of his hands, emptied it, grabbed the end of the barrel & hit it on a tree just as hard as I could. Busted up the receiver & cracked the stock. Handed it back to him & said "Don't ever do it again & get outa here." They skedaddled - their eyes the size of saucers.

Ya shoulda busted it over his head!....Just joking :D

Tom Montgomery
11-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Whitetail deer overpopulation is a real problem.

If you live in the suburbs of the Northeastern US like I do, on any given day you might be able to look out your window and see a herd of deer like the one pictured above. In my neighborhood in particular, I am surprised if a day goes by where I don’t see any.In 1930 the US white-tailed deer population was down to about 300,000. Today, estimates of how many there are range as high as about 30 million. That’s a 1,000-fold increase in less than 100 years.

What would an ideal number of white-tailed deer be in the US? Scientists estimate the average carrying capacity is about 8 deer per kilometer. The current average? Up to 100 deer per kilometer.

The shift in the white-tailed deer population can be attributed to many factors. In the 1920s the species was actually nearing extinction due to overhunting before government protection programs and national parks sought to save it. You could say that they succeeded. Unfortunately, a number of factors are now leading the deer population to spiral out of control. These include:

No predators. Wolves, cougars, and grizzlies, which all once preyed on old, sick, and newborn deer, are now extinct in most states, and much of their former habitat is gone. However, the increase in human population will not stop the deer because…
Deforestation actually helps the deer. The white-tailed deer is a species that flourishes in “edge” habitats: that is, habitats along the edges of forests and roadways, as well as newly-planted lawns. This is why they have been so explosively successful in the suburbs. Which also means…
Hunting rates are going down. On average, about 6 million deer are killed each year by hunters, though this number is decreasing. By contrast, the deer population will double every other year under ideal conditions; the latest estimate suggests that 12 million fawns were born after the last hunting season. And this number will keep increasing because…
Due to the fact that they preferentially graze on disturbed or edge habitats, white-tailed deer populations naturally fluctuate. As such, they have evolved few methods of self-regulation (such as birthing fewer fawns in crowded conditions).

So there are a lot of deer and the population is still growing. The impacts this has are not just the annoying ones that I see every day (deer poop everywhere, deer carcasses all over the roads, destroyed gardens, and the occasional deer attack (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/06/21/deer-attacks-dog-in-cranbrook_n_881050.html)).

Deer in the US eat 15 million tons of vegetation each year, which costs about $248 million in damage to crops and landscaping in the Northeast alone. About 150 people per year are actually killed due to car collisions with deer. Furthermore, deer carry deer ticks, which can transmit lyme disease to humans.

But the impacts are not limited to us. Native ecosystems are bearing the brunt of the damage. A study on one forest in Pennsylvania found that over half of all plant species diversity had vanished thanks to hungry deer. Other studies suggest that deer prefer eating native to exotic plant species, which facilitates the spread of invasive plants.

This can lead to a cascade of effects on other animal species. Nesting bird populations drop due to the loss of certain tree species (the deer like to eat the new saplings). Insect species, particularly caterpillars, may lose their food sources. Conversely, biting flies and other parasites that prey on deer will increase.

What we should do about the deer overpopulation has been a highly divisive issue in the US; specifically between those who favor lethal vs. nonlethal methods. There is limited success with methods such as fertility control, but these successes are mostly found in closed populations (i.e., fenced in or isolated) and take a long time to take effect.

Lethal methods also have their pros and cons. The possibility of reintroducing wild predators of deer in parts of the US where they are now extinct is often raised and just as often vetoed, given that the bulk of the deer population lies smack dab in the middle of the suburbs.

Similar concerns are raised when people bring up hunting; furthermore, hunters must be advised to take does rather than trophy bucks or they will not significantly affect the population. Studies have shown that controlled hunting programs are effective over small areas, but the effects are mixed over larger ones.

While people argue over what the best way to manage deer is, the population continues to grow and grow, leading to an increase of diseases (such as epizootic hemorrhage disease, which can also spread to livestock) and starvation.

With deer populations going well over carrying capacity in many areas, the risk of population crashes grows. While a crash- which dramatically decreases the number of animals- sounds like it might be a good thing in this case, crashes can be catastrophic. In one famous reindeer crash on St. Matthew island, 95% of individuals died in a single winter.

That, however, is the worst-case scenario, and since few deer populations are so constrained, the more likely one is that deer populations will eventually strike a kind of limbo- not increasing very much but still heavily overpopulated, and constantly on the brink of starvation.

In this case, what is the correct thing to do? The longer we wait, the more damage is done, not just to people, but to the local ecosystem as well. But methods like contraception take several years to really show positive effects, while hunting has to be carefully managed in order to be effective. And this isn’t even bringing in the “moral” aspect of hunting versus nonlethal methods. Yet either way, many, many deer are going to die, and the only way to improve their- and our- quality of life is to dramatically reduce their population.

http://www.koryoswrites.com/nonfiction/white-tailed-deer-overpopulation-in-the-united-states/

Whitetail deer thrive in suburbs bordering golf courses.

Garret
11-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Ya shoulda busted it over his head!....Just joking :D

The thought entered my mind, but I decided I didn't need to go to jail. On top of that, doing stoopid s&%t is part of being a teenager. Learning a lesson from said s&%t is also a part of it. I'm thinking he learned one.

An addendum: I was new to the neighborhood (OK, dirt road) when this happened. From then on I was known amongst the parents as the guy who did the right thing & amongst the kids as "Don't "mess" with him"...

SMARTINSEN
11-22-2017, 06:59 PM

A few days ago in the North woods. We're all fond of orange.

Phillip Allen
11-22-2017, 07:09 PM

A few days ago in the North woods. We're all fond of orange.

I once encountered some guys who had been rock climbing during a deer season... one was wearing a fur coat! I asked them what they were doing and was informed that they didn't need to wear orange because they weren't hunting... go figger

no I did not aim at them... LOOK to see what you're looking at!!!

Garret
11-22-2017, 07:11 PM
I once encountered some guys who had been rock climbing during a deer season... one was wearing a fur coat! I asked them what they were doing and was informed that they didn't need to wear orange because they weren't hunting... go figger

no I did not aim at them... LOOK to see what you're looking at!!!

Darwin Award candidates. I've had idjuts shoot near me even when wearing orange!

Phillip Allen
11-22-2017, 07:15 PM
Darwin Award candidates. I've had idjuts shoot near me even when wearing orange!

it's hard to legitimize their logic... being legally in the right won't plug up any holes!

Nicholas Carey
11-22-2017, 07:40 PM

Iffn it was down in eastern Kentucky, I'd expect the dog got shot because they got a little too close too somebody's still.

JayInOz
11-22-2017, 11:14 PM
From Toms cut and paste-

" No predators. Wolves, cougars, and grizzlies, which all once preyed on old, sick, and newborn deer, are now extinct in most states, and much of their former habitat is gone. However, the increase in human population will not stop the deer because… "

No mention of coyotes? That surprises me as I've read that in some areas coyotes take a huge percentage of fawns, and there are numerous online clips of coyotes attacking full grown deer- mule deer and white tail. Even a clip of coyotes returning to finish the attack after being chased off by hunters. And the number of coyotes killed in some areas means that they must be a serious threat to the wild life living there. JayInOz

mmd
11-22-2017, 11:52 PM
Cautionary tale, told here before:

A school chum of my brother's now has a lifetime disability thanks to a stoopit deer hunter. He was shot in the shoulder while standing in knee-deep grass in the middle of a two-acre field while wearing blaze orange pants, jacket and hat. The shooter 'mistook him for a deer'. The wound damaged nerves and blood vessels to his right arm, which is now shrivelled and operates at about 5 - 10% capacity.

Be careful out there - hunters is stoopit, by times...

Todd Bradshaw
11-28-2017, 11:53 PM
A follow up...... They said on the news today that Wisconsin sold ten deer hunting licenses this year to children one year old or less. A 30-30 must kick the living crap out of a one year old........ :)
F....ing morons.