PDA

View Full Version : What's your style of perceiving the world?

ishmael
11-22-2017, 09:47 AM
There are a lot of different psychological 'scales' and tests to determine one's personality type. The Meyers/Briggs comes to mind, but there are other's that would seem to indicate innate(?) traits. Just to take one spectrum - I'll call it intuitive v analytical - when you start into something, say a woodworking project - how do you approach it? At one end of the scale one might just pick up some pieces of wood and start making sawdust. At the other, one might insist on a detailed measured drawing, parts and materials lists, etc. Those are extremes, and most every woodworker I've known falls along the line between them somewhere, and, of course, it depends on the complexity of the project and all that.

I tend toward the intuitive end, quite strongly at times. I'll look at the situation, make some basic measurements, and then, if I can, won't rely on measurements at all. I'll hold the work piece and look and mark. I can also do detailed drawings, if need be.

I ask, because I do think there are very different ways of looking at the world that may well be innate, and which are the source of all manner of silly argument. :)

Norman Bernstein
11-22-2017, 09:53 AM
I fall somewhere in-between. When I do project work, I tend to flesh out a design fairly quickly... and only THEN, step back and start to consider what will work and what is likely to give me problems. Then, I go back and reconsider the choices made, amend the bad choices, and reinforce the good ones.

I usually find that in the evenings, while thinking about the project, I often realize some particular flaw in some aspect that, during the day, I THOUGHT I had considered adequately. The next morning, the error of my ways is far clearer.

Inevitably, after the conclusion of a project, I think of ways in which the design could have been better. No result is ever 'perfect'.

Paul Pless
11-22-2017, 10:07 AM
i look forward to the forthcoming soliloquy to jack's one inch chisel
and no, i'm not being euphemistic

amish rob
11-22-2017, 10:13 AM
Gangnam.

Peace,
Sigh :)

Paul Pless
11-22-2017, 10:52 AM
killing it rob :D

amish rob
11-22-2017, 10:53 AM
killing it rob :D

I am in a mood, that’s for sure. :)

Peace,
Robert

amish rob
11-22-2017, 10:56 AM
Sorry, Ish. ;)

I am trained in design and construction (my IT had no computers :)) so I can go the plan route, and I often do.

I can also make a rocket ship out of dirt, and often do.

Generally I find it goes both ways. I either start with a plan, and modify to suit, or I start with a thing, and plan around it.

My way of perceiving the world is very wishy washy, I guess. :)

Peace,
6, Or Half-Dozen

Canoeyawl
11-22-2017, 11:26 AM
Only if it matters that the item be square, or round and if it has to float.

JimD
11-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Apparently, I am driven by logic.

birlinn
11-22-2017, 03:11 PM
There is no world. It's all in your mind.

Paul Pless
11-22-2017, 03:14 PM
There is no world. It's all in your mind.and then the murders began

webishop14
11-22-2017, 08:43 PM
I do sometimes operate in the "measure once, cut thrice" school of wood butchery. Having spent a career in producing straight-line drawings, I am quite capable of over-thinking something. Generally, though, I tend to free-style a project where I can get away with it, and inject precision where necessary.

LeeG
11-22-2017, 11:41 PM
food

mmd
11-23-2017, 12:02 AM
One's dependence on drawings is in inverse proportion to one's familiarity with tools and projects.

skuthorp
11-23-2017, 04:12 AM
Cynically.

PeterSibley
11-23-2017, 05:31 AM
A casting pattern I want to make.
Drawings, not usually very accurate . Dimensions, lot's of colour .

wizbang 13
11-23-2017, 06:23 AM
Light on the cereberal bit.
Heavy on common sense.
Humor, sarcasm, love.

pipefitter
11-24-2017, 06:41 AM
I do a lot of drawing. More for a visual representation of what I am imagining, but I haven't gotten a blueprint for anything I have built in 18 years.

I have gotten pretty fast at proof drawing. I can plot all the measurements for a project on a boat, and produce a full size pattern within 30 minutes and that's with going outside, actually climbing into a boat. For one-offs, with full creative license, probably about half of that. I have worked with guys that take longer working it out on a calculator twice and still F-it up.
https://i.imgur.com/aCtrUbm.jpg?1

About 6 hrs later. I should also add I have not had an irrecoverable error in those 18 years, often times working to within an inch of available materials, to where I even have to consider the losses of the saw cuts. I have actually switched to rough cutting with the band saw to cut those losses in half.
https://i.imgur.com/Bp9dXHO.jpg?1

All of that pondering on the drawing for this tiny hinge point, and wanting the flip back chair to have the exact lean back in both positions. The little kink in the rear leg was a cheat to that end, disguised as style and then I decide I want the kink to line up with the chair back in that position as well. The only drawback being, nobody ever really notices how it came to be. That all of these things must just be known when one wakes up every day.
https://i.imgur.com/ZBm49hD.jpg?1

Folded footrests hide out of the way when not in use and so many other functional details that you know you can manage without actually drawing it in. Even though, that doesn't mean you don't see it in spite of the missing lines.
https://i.imgur.com/IRKv4tM.jpg?1

My only real fault being, I don't take the time with my personal projects. I end up rushing through them like I'm still at my old piece rate job. I have to make myself behave at that. My personal stuff should be the absolute best because there is nothing or nobody to hold me back, other than perhaps, time. If not for being so practiced, my own projects would be those of an underpaid hack, comparatively.

Paul Pless
11-24-2017, 06:57 AM
okay peter what is it?

and where's erster? i want to see his scaled drawings. . .

Paul Pless
11-24-2017, 05:13 PM
definitely a right brained person then :D

PeterSibley
11-24-2017, 05:17 PM
okay peter what is it?

and where's erster? i want to see his scaled drawings. . .

A drawing of a pattern for a cast bronze vent.

The Davey version. https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-31755506130963/davey-company-cast-brass-cowl-vent-36.gif

Paul Pless
11-24-2017, 05:35 PM
I don't know Mike, who do you turn to to program your new phone, tablet, or microwave. . .

A lot of stuff nowadays, even farm equipment. can't be fixed in the field without special dealer parts. Lastly whose fault is it this generation hasn't been exposed to opportunities to learn this common sense of which you speak?

:D

skuthorp
11-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Well, apart from cynical…….
Visualisation, measurement, a rough drawing, material list, some details like odd angles and joints more carefully drawn.
When it's all in my head off I go. Usually I know what it's going to look like before I start the process, and I can make a 3d visualisation from a blueprint in my head, though a 6ft blueprint of a heavy steam loco I had is beyond me.

Chris Smith porter maine
11-24-2017, 06:10 PM
Amazement and wonder I. My time from transistor radio to smartphone.

skuthorp
11-24-2017, 11:03 PM
Living in the country with my grandparents in the 1950's we had kero lamps, a kero fridge, wood fires, a battery radio with very short life and bulky batteries, (it was for the news, the produce market report and the weather). Wind up gramophone and a wind up phone (two longs two shorts).
Pretty good life for a kid actually.

Canoeyawl
11-24-2017, 11:53 PM
A casting pattern I want to make.
Drawings, not usually very accurate . Dimensions, lot's of colour .

You might give a bit more thought to the threading operation, perhaps making the e-f dimension a bit longer to avoid crashing the chuck and trim it after the dreading. ;)

Chip-skiff
11-25-2017, 12:32 AM
It depends. When I'm the only one involved and the stakes aren't dire, I tend to enjoy a quirky, problem-solving approach, which tests my abilities, moment-to-moment.

But I have done quite a lot of complicated logistics for expeditions and such.

When the fates of others depend on my decisions, I get very cautious and nitpicky. I remember sitting in a bar on Saturday night, while my mates were all dancing their brains out, writing up a list of supplies on a legal pad and trying not to spill beer on it.

epoxyboy
11-25-2017, 12:43 AM
I have lost track of the number of times my five minute concept electronics/software functional sketch at the start of a development project, looks indistinguishable from the final result, as approved by manglement, six months to a year later. It takes them countless hours of unbelieveably frustrating "brainstorming" meetings, to get to the same place, and eliminate all the pixie dust, wishful thinking, and physics or budget defying bs. So I guess I am at the intuitive end of things, but God knows I spent enough time in the garage moaning chair, contemplating tweaks to Mr Welsford's fine Pathfinder design :D.

Pete

webishop14
11-25-2017, 11:40 AM
You might give a bit more thought to the threading operation, perhaps making the e-f dimension a bit longer to avoid crashing the chuck and trim it after the dreading. ;)

It's been years since I did any mold design work, but still I wonder how the core will be removed from the necked-in bottom of the casting (at the E-F portion of the piece). I presume some mold designers have added new tricks to making cores.

Canoeyawl
11-25-2017, 12:58 PM
I noticed that but figured a soft core?

Stiletto
11-25-2017, 05:19 PM
I noticed that but figured a soft core?

We dont want no Hardcore here!

webishop14
12-02-2017, 01:48 PM
We dont want no Hardcore here!

Well, I came from plastics molding, so our tech was hard core. But looking at a v. recent posting in Building/Repair "simple casting patterns," you're quite right -- a soft core would easily handle that necking issue.