PDA

View Full Version : my wife and i have had three friends killed on motorcycles in the last two years

Paul Pless
11-15-2017, 02:47 PM
katherine says motorcycling is a thing of the past for me

damn me

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m82owoZneg1rb9yuso1_1280.jpg

amish rob
11-15-2017, 02:49 PM
If you were as extraneous as I have made myself, your wife would buy you two, in the same year.

Peace,
Lucky? :)

David G
11-15-2017, 02:50 PM
How about if your tripled your life insurance...??

CWSmith
11-15-2017, 02:58 PM
She's right. They are like taming big cats. They are exciting, they behave, and then one day without warning they take your head off.

S.V. Airlie
11-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Just wear a football helmet Paul!

Tom Wilkinson
11-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Lost at least three, two in the last two weeks and cannot possibly count the number seriously injured. Just isn't worth it around here.

TomF
11-15-2017, 03:00 PM
I sold my bike decades ago after a couple of near-death-experiences in Vancouver traffic.

S.V. Airlie
11-15-2017, 03:02 PM
As an EMT for 15 years, I dealt with a lot! And I never even considered buying that type of bike!

Keith Wilson
11-15-2017, 03:04 PM
As I've said before, I used to ride motorcycles a lot, stopped when I had kids. I was going to start again once the kids were out on their own, but then my wife got a job at the big downtown hospital, level 1 trauma center, the place where they take what's left of all the guys who were riding a motorcycle when a car didn't see them. I decided letting my wife sleep well was more important than motorcycling.

mmd
11-15-2017, 03:05 PM
The most dangerous place on a motorcycle is in traffic. Give me country roads and highways with minimal traffic, please.

Sorry for the loss of recreation source, Paul.

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 03:07 PM
katherine says motorcycling is a thing of the past for me

damn me

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m82owoZneg1rb9yuso1_1280.jpg

Nice bike

Hard to ignore the facts and calculating one's lost friends to this activity. I am searching for some of those answers myself.

Speed and complacency kills. I no longer drink at all and ride. I am invested in quality high viz suits, boots, helmets and gloves. Now moving to ride a smaller, slower and more nimble bike but does that mean I have a better chance of coming home safely? I don’t know.

Paul Pless
11-15-2017, 03:08 PM
thinking of buying an aeroplane

JimD
11-15-2017, 03:10 PM
My FIL got a big road bike when he close to 70. I thought he was nuts. Fortunately, he survived, and after a couple seasons with it sold it and went back to cars only. I think he got the bike because he missed flying, which he had to give up several years earlier. I haven't had a bike in 30 years. No way I would get one now. I would kill myself for sure. I'd feel more confident learning to fly, but that won't happen either.

TomF
11-15-2017, 03:11 PM
thinking of buying an aeroplaneHave you considered bullfighting?

JimD
11-15-2017, 03:12 PM
Anyone considering bullfighting should play the part of the bull.

S.V. Airlie
11-15-2017, 03:12 PM
thinking of buying an aeroplaneMy mother said No to airplanes when he turned 65. Actually, she said no engines in the airplane. He took up two, gliding and ballooning.

TomF
11-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Anyone considering bullfighting should play the part of the bull.on a motorbike?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Don't get a helicopter.

The two fastest and most skilled riders / drivers I've ever known died because of helicopters.

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 03:17 PM

would that be a write off for business? If not, maybe join a local flying club instead.

either way - I am not sure if it is any safer than riding a sensible slower motorcycle.

John B
I rode when I was young and liked it. I came to the conclusion I would be dead or worse, confined, if I continued.
I did finally get an old convertible and that's close to the feeling, lies somewhere between a bike and a 5 star car.

ron ll

My neighbor and friend is 90 and still flies his own Cessna. So far his combined landings and takeoffs is an even number.

Phil Y
11-15-2017, 03:19 PM
My mother said No to airplanes when he turned 65. Actually, she said no engines in the airplane. He took up two, gliding and ballooning.
Your mother was a he? I guess we will see more of that now we are legalising same sex marriage here in the Antipodes.

Tom Wilkinson
11-15-2017, 03:22 PM

I've lost at least three co-workers to that as well. A few acquaintances too.

Met this family just weeks before this crash when I played a benefit dance with my big band at the williamson airport museum.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/florida/articles/2017-04-19/family-of-4-killed-in-small-plane-crash-in-florida

Ron Alexander was the guy that started the Candler Field museum and passed away just a few months prior to that dance.
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/november/18/ron-alexander-quiet-giant-of-aviation-dies-in-jenny-crash

Keith Wilson
11-15-2017, 03:23 PM
At least when you're flying an airplane you don't have to deal with old ladies in Buicks, or texting teenagers. OTOH, gravity is definitely unforgiving.

TomF
11-15-2017, 03:26 PM
How do you feel about rock climbing? Maybe masters-level MMA?

JimD
11-15-2017, 03:29 PM
on a motorbike?Sure, but no helmet. It would interfere with the picador.

TomF
11-15-2017, 03:34 PM
Sure, but no helmet. It would interfere with the picador.Point taken, so to speak.

Katherine
11-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Oh really?

John B
11-15-2017, 05:07 PM
As long as he ain't a musician or a doctor and stays away from twin engines he should be all right.

I imagine...

mmd
11-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Jeeze, Paul; you don't hide very well, do ya.... <grin>

Oh, hi, Katherine.

Paul Pless
11-15-2017, 05:08 PM
thank you john

Tom Montgomery
11-15-2017, 05:12 PM
I stopped riding 25 years ago after a white tail buck decided to cross the road and bolted toward my front wheel. I decided that I no longer wanted to be so vulnerable on the road.

I dated an MD about 10 years ago who absolutely despised motorcycles and went into great detail about her experiences in treating accident victims. Gruesome stuff.

The thrill is gone.

John B
11-15-2017, 05:27 PM
thank you john

My pleasure, get the roadster and then drive it in winter for them motorcycle/aeroplane thrills.
problem solved , thar you go.

sharpiefan
11-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Motorcycles and bicycles are the nearest thing we have to the Predator's invisibility armor. People in cars and trucks just don't see you. Most of the bikers whose wheelchairs I worked on were hit by reckless, inattentive, distracted drivers.

Maybe take up SCUBA -- then all you have to worry about are sharks, drunks driving boats, and idiots on Jet Skis.

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 05:41 PM
My pleasure, get the roadster and then drive it in winter for them motorcycle/aeroplane thrills.

Ah the Roadster... good choice.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5840ae4c/turbine/sd-ad-au-1202-bmw-r1200r-michaud-20161123

John B
11-15-2017, 05:41 PM
Scuba! I'm going to do that!
Not that sort of roadster Ted, one with 4 wheels , maybe even convertible. I was thinkin something small and light but well, Stretch is unlikely to fit in a 124.........

Dave Hadfield
11-15-2017, 05:49 PM
My doctor friend calls them donorcycles.

Flying is safer -- only one thing to hit, mostly, and it's a planet. Doesn't jump out at you.

Canoeyawl
11-15-2017, 05:56 PM
A loud, light, crude roadster with no windows will have the same thrill (maybe more if it has enough horsepower) and is not inherently unstable.

It is too crowded on the road, and texting...

Paul Pless
11-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Scuba! I'm going to do that!
Not that sort of roadster Ted, one with 4 wheels , maybe even convertible. I was thinkin something small and light but well, Stretch is unlikely to fit in a 124.........aren't i the same height as yourself

John B
11-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Hahahahahaha, nope. My old man was but I missed out.

Reynard38
11-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Lost at least three, two in the last two weeks and cannot possibly count the number seriously injured. Just isn't worth it around here.

Agreed. Get a ragtop.

sharpiefan
11-15-2017, 06:11 PM
My doctor friend calls them donorcycles.

Flying is safer -- only one thing to hit, mostly, and it's a planet. Doesn't jump out at you.

Sadly, not always true. The only pilot my squadron lost was on the way home from bombing practice back to the base in Jacksonville when another aircraft flying 500 feet too low flew right through his cockpit. He died instantly. The rest of the flight circled the scene until rescue came for the other pilot.

R.I.P. Lt.[redacted]

J.Madison
11-15-2017, 06:11 PM
My coworker just flew his plane into a herd of elk. They bolted onto the runway as he was landing. He lived, but several elk and the plane did not.

Its probably safer than motorcycles though.

Scuba is where its at!

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Scuba is where its at!

Make sure you bring Kat. A few sporting scuba instructors can take your breath away and cause dangerous consequences outside the sport.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b8/fa/39/b8fa395f46cad0a4c470f97fae9aefd3.jpg

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 06:25 PM
As much as we try, the run of this thread is there is no other vehicle like a motorcycle. All we can offer is a different choice of thrill. We might like to believe a sports car or plane might fill the void, it won't. Riding a motorcycle is like dancing and being a pilot all at once.

It is a dangerous sporting piece of transportation. It allows you to mix with traffic, ride a trail or take you on a round the world adventure. As nearly everyone who rides knows, it is speed and lack of awareness that gets one into trouble. if you ride believing everyone is out to kill you and be cautious about traffic and in all conditions where you can not control the total outcome, you can mitigate the chances of injury or death.

It would be my guess that most accidents are due to the rider not being fully aware. We often ride too damn fast. We like to shoot through narrow openings in traffic. To often we roll faster in urban areas when cars are present that include dangerous intersections, around flying missiles from other vehicles and drop land mines for us to hit. We ride in motorcycle packs with bone heads who think we are in a race. Way too often we ride at speed at dusk or dawn when large animals come onto the road. A few of us do so under the influence or when we are tired. Very few of us practice the very skills that save our lives. And quite often we take short cuts in our own maintenance - not changing brake pads soon enough, riding on bald tires, trusting worn shocks, faulty wiring for lights. As far as insuring ones personals safety, way too many ride without proper protective gear. making a long rant short and to the point, if you follow all the guidelines of safety and personal protections there is a good chance you will have a nearly perfect homecoming every time you leave on a bike.

AnalogKid
11-15-2017, 06:28 PM

Maybe this would hit the spot. Just add a silk scarf and goggles.

https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/screenshots/pics/c509309c2de3f5ccd9f0a4e517e7c8b4/large.jpg

John B
11-15-2017, 06:33 PM

https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.net/screenshots/pics/c509309c2de3f5ccd9f0a4e517e7c8b4/large.jpg
I know a guy with that car! Must get a ride sometime.

johnw
11-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Gave up the motorcycle when I was too old to feel immortal. With sailboats, the physics are much more in your favor.

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 06:36 PM

As as cool as that thing is... it is not that much safer than a modern motorcycle with abs.

Gerarddm
11-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Yes, motorcycles for me are a thing of the past. No desire whatsoever to ride anymore. I would get more pleasure from a top-down convertible sports car.

BTW, my late brother-in-law was an orthopedic surgeon whose billings leaped up every April as hot jockeys, eager for their first ride of the year, leapt on their crotch rockets that had been garaged all winter.

John B
As much as we try, the run of this thread is there is no other vehicle like a motorcycle. All we can offer is a different choice of thrill. We might like to believe a sports car or plane might fill the void, it won't. Riding a motorcycle is like dancing and being a pilot all at once.

It is a dangerous sporting piece of transportation. It allows you to mix with traffic, ride a trail or take you on a round the world adventure. As nearly everyone who rides knows, it is speed and lack of awareness that gets one into trouble. if you ride believing everyone is out to kill you and be cautious about traffic and in all conditions where you can not control the total outcome, you can mitigate the chances of injury or death.

It would be my guess that most accidents are due to the rider not being fully aware. We often ride too damn fast. We like to shoot through narrow openings in traffic. To often we roll faster in urban areas when cars are present that include dangerous intersections, around flying missiles from other vehicles and drop land mines for us to hit. We ride in motorcycle packs with bone heads who think we are in a race. Way too often we ride at speed at dusk or dawn when large animals come onto the road. A few of us do so under the influence or when we are tired. Very few of us practice the very skills that save our lives. And quite often we take short cuts in our own maintenance - not changing brake pads soon enough, riding on bald tires, trusting worn shocks, faulty wiring for lights. As far as insuring ones personals safety, way too many ride without proper protective gear. making a long rant short and to the point, if you follow all the guidelines of safety and personal protections there is a good chance you will have a nearly perfect homecoming every time you leave on a bike.

There are just too many dorks out there Ted. I remember describing an incident when driving my old E type a few years ago . I was watching a guy for a few minutes beforehand because of the body language. What that guy was thinking of doing was evident through the way he handled the car. he did it and I was prepared. That conversation prompted a question as to whether I was a motorcycle rider, which I took as a compliment.
But novices and people with less than normal skills do stupid and unpredicatable things and just don't fall into a category. They'll kill you.

sharpiefan
And diving is a great reason to head south for the winter. :)

Dry Tortugas SCUBA Diving (LINK) (http://www.ultimategetaway.net/)

http://www.ultimategetaway.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/20100717_TER_Oz_Judge_02_wm.jpg

#include [std-disclaimer]

Ralphie Boy
11-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Stopped street riding when my son was born. I've been back on a dirt bike, and love it! Wife says
dirt Bikin' is OK, thank God!

Ralphie

sharpiefan
11-15-2017, 06:47 PM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/reviews/810/sopfs.jpg

The Bigfella
11-15-2017, 06:54 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-htoxRHcYuTk/VNOn3EBMRXI/AAAAAAABhDk/kkcZ2Y8sD3w/s1600/l.jpg

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 06:55 PM
And diving is a great reason to head south for the winter. :)

Dry Tortugas SCUBA Diving (LINK) (http://www.ultimategetaway.net/)

#include [std-disclaimer]

I am imaging sailing a sharpie to the Dry Torugas. Thanks!

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/85/9e/ed859e6c4cb022413b71c1c0d07e968c.jpg

The Bigfella
11-15-2017, 06:56 PM
It'd be nice if you Americans would do something about the bigger threat to your lives.

It's called the 2nd Amendment

Joe (SoCal)
11-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Time for the Bright Yellow Vespa® :D

peb
11-15-2017, 07:12 PM
The most dangerous place on a motorcycle is in traffic. Give me country roads and highways with minimal traffic, please.

Sorry for the loss of recreation source, Paul.Doesn't always work either. My uncle was killed by a car pulling out in front if him on a country highway. Cars are even less prone to see a motorcycle when they haven't seen any other vehicles for a few miles.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

mmd
11-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Ted, spot-on in post #45.

Everything that you do that is fun is either dangerous, illegal, or expensive. The more you reduce those risks, the less fun it is. Motorcycling is not for everyone, but those that don't should have no say over those that do. We don't need you to be our mommies any more.

Rich Jones
11-15-2017, 07:16 PM
As a teenager, I thought bikes were cool until the day I say two friends killed on one. I heard the sirens just down my block and got there in time to see their broken, bloody bodies on the ground. Cause of the accident with a speeding drunk driver on the wrong side of the road. Cured me of bikes forever. The drunk was sitting on the curb sobbing, knowing what he had done. Cured me of drinking and driving forever.

mmd
11-15-2017, 07:20 PM
To all of you whom have posted tales of death and destruction via motorcycles, you have my sympathies for having to have experienced that. It will not, however, influence my decision to ride.

I can tell stories of friends whom have drowned while boating - would that curb your desire to go boating?

Rich Jones
11-15-2017, 07:22 PM
After a few serious skiing injuries, my wife would like me to give up downhill skiing. I'm tending towards listening to her. As I age, my skills diminish. Even though I wear a helmet and am careful, you never know what's going to happen up there on the mountain.
But.... I'll still spend a few days on the slopes this winter.. I'll just pick the days with great conditions.

BrianW
11-15-2017, 07:23 PM
To all of you whom have posted tales of death and destruction via motorcycles, you have my sympathies for having to have experienced that. It will not, however, influence my decision to ride.

Right on. Hell, the time to ride is when we are older, so it’s my intention to ride a lot more.

StevenBauer
11-15-2017, 07:30 PM
What did you order, Ted? G310? R or GS?

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Time for the Bright Yellow Vespa® :D

i think I may have found one of the only videos you and Ian could agree on.

https://youtu.be/KMp_Dm-16Lw

Paul Pless
11-15-2017, 07:34 PM
subscribed :D

amish rob
11-15-2017, 07:34 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-htoxRHcYuTk/VNOn3EBMRXI/AAAAAAABhDk/kkcZ2Y8sD3w/s1600/l.jpg

Now, how is this different than calling someone a name?

Peace,
Robert

Canoeyawl
11-15-2017, 07:41 PM

Is that Old Mate?

mmd
11-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Ted, you are a mean, mean man... <grin>

The Bigfella
11-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Now, how is this different than calling someone a name?

Peace,
Robert

Sorry.... I'm busy watching a video

.... and it's very different to say something to a person's face, as it may be, rather than someone who's not on the floor to defend themselves.

.... and there's about ten chapters more I could add as to the difference between the man card and that word. More than happy to debate it if you want

... sorry, back to the video

Canoeyawl
11-15-2017, 07:47 PM
I hit a deer one night on my Harley at about 80 mph...
Hit it square on, and if it hadn't all ready been dead and flattened it probably would have killed me. As it was I launched into the air about 5-8 ft and landed well. I scared the guy riding beside me more than me, I went up as high as his head.
Those expensive Italian suspension components (Cerriani, Koni etc) paid off that time for sure.

mmd
11-15-2017, 07:50 PM
I will concede that as I grow older my night vision has deteriorated, so I don't drive at night much any more. Eight or ten high-intensity xenon lights look somewhat silly on a bike, though I've seen full-dressed Harleys with all of that.

JayInOz
11-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Stay home, dress warm, be careful. And end up just as dead as I will. I rode for four and half hours this morning, in traffic, in the rain. Enjoyed every minute of it. JayInOz

John B
11-15-2017, 07:56 PM
We got rear ended by a Paella van on sat afternoon. We were in my Legacy stopped at a lights queue, not a motorcycle or the little roadster. Just a silly bunt in a big van , on his phone or similarly distracted.
And I hate paella.

LeeG
11-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Ted, so what are you looking at?

Chip-skiff
11-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Most serious climbers and mountaineers have lost more than one friend to accidents, some the result of bad judgment and others bad luck. But I never thought of it as anything but part of the game.

A few of my partners stopped climbing with me on steep ice because I took too many risks, and I respected their decisions. But I knew my limits: only one big leader fall and no injuries. What finally edged me out was that my body got too beat-up. After a big ice climb, I'd be unable to stand straight for a week and it hurt like hell to walk.

Still, if you love something, the best way to go might be to continue doing it while lessening the degree of mad risk. Wear a helmet. Don't speed. Don't ride in the rain. Etc. It's not an all-or-nothing deal.

Paul Pless
11-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Kat's cube mate and draftsman was killed last year. It was tough on her because she was so close to him. Also the brutality of it. He crested a hill and was hit head on at sixty miles a hour by a lady driving an Econoline in the wrong lane. Brutal. But also very quick.

Norman Bernstein
11-15-2017, 08:05 PM
I'm certainly cognizant of the potential dangers of motorcycling... and it's not the only sport that is associated with dangers and hazards that can be life-changing.

It's difficult to come to a middle-of-the-road position on this; no one ought to be so foolish as to take unnecessary risks... but a risk-free life is also a pretty dull life, as well.

Yes, I ride.... at age 66. I ride like an old man... which may be the reason I made it to 'old man' status. One can certainly minimize the risk; someone here mentioned nearly hitting a deer at 80 mph, and that, to me, would be an example of taking unnecessary risks... motorcycling is highly enjoyable at 40 mph, and one hell of a lot safer. I don't ride in the rain, for example, and I eschew gravel or dirt roads (especially on a cruiser weighing 670 lbs!). You CAN minimize the risks without having to give up the sport. It doesn't mean you're going to be as safe as sitting in your reclining chair... but who wants to spend their life like that?

Chip-skiff
11-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Kat's cube mate and draftsman was killed last year. It was tough on her because she was so close to him. Also the brutality of it. He crested a hill and was hit head on at sixty miles a hour by a lady driving an Econoline in the wrong lane. Brutal. But also very quick.

Not the bike's fault. That would have done for him even if he'd been driving a sensible little car.

Paul Pless
11-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Not the bike's fault. That would have done for him even if he'd been driving a sensible little car.
Probably. I think the van driver was also killed in the wreck.

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Ted, so what are you looking at?

I have a deposit on the new G 310 gs. I should get it in January. I am changing my whole approach to riding. After owning my beautiful BMW r100cs for nearly 25 years. I think it is time to pass it on to someone else.

This new bike will allow me to ride most of the Pony Express Route filming bicyclists doing the same next early fall. As for the qualities - I cant go faster than 90 hitch is fine as I love to ride in the sweet spot of 35 to 55 most of the time on two lane roads as well as do sorted trails and forest roads. The price point and dealer assistance make this bike a winner. I got nothing to prove and really want to ride with like minded who like camping, conversation, style and comfort.

https://s4.paultan.org/image/2017/10/2018-BMW-Motorrad-G-310-GS-2.jpg

David G
11-15-2017, 08:20 PM
If you think maybe you don't have the skill, or the reflexes at your age, to ride safely... don't.

If you think you do, and you're an old phart who has never ridden, or is taking it up again after decades away... don't.

If you really think you do... think again.

If you still think you do. Enjoy.

I certainly do. I've been riding since before I had a drivers license, and have only gone short periods without a bike. Often I had more than one. The one that stuck is both fun and not too huge. A Honda CB400F - 4 cyl. 4 cycle. Honda's first attempt at a factory cafe racer. And they done good. Nowadays it's a classic. Like me. Or maybe that's 'antique'...

The Bigfella
11-15-2017, 08:54 PM

I was going to post this photo earlier - as I was thinking along the same lines. If someone came the other way here, in my lane.... I'd be just as dead in a car as I would on the bike, if we hit. But, as you can see, I was doing 101... not the 140 or so that corner is "good" for. I enjoyed it... but I didn't go silly about it - hell, I was even riding one-handed :d

https://photos.smugmug.com/Randoms-5/i-xsWPfLn/0/b5e86f22/X2/northerthairiding-X2.jpg

By the time I was 21, I'd lost 21 friends. Mostly (but not all) in cars and on bikes. Sh!t happens. I tend towards risky behaviour at times... but I also minimise the silly risks - although I did destroy a front tyre on the car at 260 kph. Hmmm. There's times and places. If you want to let it all hang out.... do it on the track. If you want to enjoy life... get out and enjoy it.

bob winter
11-15-2017, 09:13 PM
No comment. We live or we don't but we don't have to go about it.

Joe (SoCal)
11-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Bigfella that's 101 km or a little over 62 mph

My little Yellow Vespa can do keep up with you :D

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18582324_10210838307687205_800607255267921692_n.jp g?oh=964133dd6bf8a05d77488f843efff959&oe=5AA7C5C4

But my sweet spot is 30 mph up the back canyon roads for Chicken Fried Steak :)

xflow7
11-15-2017, 09:27 PM

This is all true. But it's also true that sometimes there's no substitute for sheet metal. My wife rides (I don't) and one day she was out in her Accord and got heavily rear-ended at a light waiting to turn left by some college kid in an Envoy playing with his phone. She didn't ride again for a while after that. Okay, sure, maybe if she'd looked in her mirror at exactly the right instant... But my wife is the most alert, cautious, rider you can imagine already.

That's not to discount anything you said. When I drive my Seven (which has similar visibility issues by virtue of how low it is), I make sure I'm never surprised by anything another car/truck does. It can actually be quite remarkable how far in advance you can anticipate that that guy up ahead not signalling is going to change lanes. But I still clobbered a deer once on I-69 at night when it lept the jersey barrier next to me.

LeeG
11-15-2017, 09:51 PM
We got rear ended by a Paella van on sat afternoon. We were in my Legacy stopped at a lights queue, not a motorcycle or the little roadster. Just a silly bunt in a big van , on his phone or similarly distracted.
And I hate paella.

Dang, paella delivery vans. That sounds nice.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
11-15-2017, 09:58 PM
I bicycle all the time, a lot of dedicated paths and bike lanes around here but I often have to share the road with cars. I do what I can, helmet, hi-vis vest. I can't imagine going without biking, I do everything on it, car now sits for long periods undriven, but that's also because parking in the city is so hard and biking is so easy.

I pine for a sport-touring motorcycle like a mid-00's Honda VFR, but the safety issues of motorcycles scare me. If I ever live out in the boonies, I might get one, especially if across a water-ferry route as the commuting costs would be vastly less.

Back when I had money, I tried to fly, but would get too airsick. However on the subject, if you don't need to get from a to b in a hurry, there are planes now that offer a modicum of safety due to relatively slow landing approach speeds, this makes a big difference. Designer Chris Heintz was a pioneer of this quality at Zenair. Light and with a good wing design, with a skilled pilot they can take off and land on what is essentially a long driveway.

http://www.zenithair.net/

But I have to say that sailing small boats has given me the thrills I was seeking with flying, and with the zen-simplicity and peacefulness, unlike powered flying in an urban area. And I can probe the limits, intentionally sailing on the edge of capsize, and then just right the boat when it does go over (I sail boats that can be easily righted). I could not get those thrills with flying except after much experience, in a plane rated for aerobatics, in a flying area that allows aerobatics, and the ability to parachute if necessary.

leikec
11-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Buy a nice Morgan sports car and have at it.

Jeff C

Breakaway
11-15-2017, 10:29 PM
In 1981 I had a Suzuki GS1100. I was 18, indestructible and laid that bike down going hard and fast. I shredded my elbow and knee, but walked away clean for all intents and purposes.

That was it for me, even though I was still indestructible and went on to bungee jumping when it was a DIY affair, back country skiing and some crazy fishing that involved a wetsuit and a 1/4 mile swim at night, in November, in the North Atlantic.

But, no more bikes for me.

Kevin

The Bigfella
11-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Bigfella that's 101 km or a little over 62 mph

My little Yellow Vespa can do keep up with you :D

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18582324_10210838307687205_800607255267921692_n.jp g?oh=964133dd6bf8a05d77488f843efff959&oe=5AA7C5C4

But my sweet spot is 30 mph up the back canyon roads for Chicken Fried Steak :)

In yer dreams, Joe :D

Just because we slowed to your top speed for that corner doesn't mean you can keep up with us.

As a matter of interest, this next shot was taken on the same ride... following day. Just after I took this, the guy in front, on a Triumph Speed Triple, snapped out to a 45 degree angle in an oil slick. I was having huge troubles with the oil too - being on knobby tyres and all. We slowed to about 45 kph. This road claims many, many lives - due to it's slick nature and the amount of oil that gets dropped on it.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Randoms-5/i-WRHrrmw/0/1c8a5a03/X2/hairyride-X2.jpg

IIRC it killed 28 people that year - many of them students in a bus. Most of the deaths I've seen over there - and I've seen quite a few - have been either drunks or truck drivers.

Ted Hoppe
11-15-2017, 11:00 PM

Just because we slowed to your top speed for that corner doesn't mean you can keep up with us.

As a matter of interest, this next shot was taken on the same ride... following day. Just after I took this, the guy in front, on a Triumph Speed Triple, snapped out to a 45 degree angle in an oil slick. I was having huge troubles with the oil too - being on knobby tyres and all. We slowed to about 45 kph. This road claims many, many lives - due to it's slick nature and the amount of oil that gets dropped on it.

IIRC it killed 28 people that year - many of them students in a bus. Most of the deaths I've seen over there - and I've seen quite a few - have been either drunks or truck drivers.

To be honest, there is no good chicken fried steak on that road of death.

Joe (SoCal)
11-15-2017, 11:06 PM

I have a best friend who is a professional South African enduro motorcycle racer. I've seen him pull away in the bends on a Honda Pacific Coast (Basically a big fat slow scooter ) we were riding Honda VFR's he just laid that big slow thing down and wiped it back up and slammed it back down in the corners never looked back and zooom he was gone. I used to race bicycles so I can handle knees out in the bends pretty well. :D

Chip-skiff
11-15-2017, 11:12 PM
Man card? What a pathetic excuse for taking stupid risks as a substitute for courage.

Sometimes you guys make me want to barf.

amish rob
11-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Man card? What a pathetic excuse for taking stupid risks as a substitute for courage.

Please, a little more clarity and direction with the “you guys”. ;)

Peace,
Robert

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 12:51 AM
I have a best friend who is a professional South African enduro motorcycle racer. I've seen him pull away in the bends on a Honda Pacific Coast (Basically a big fat slow scooter ) we were riding Honda VFR's he just laid that big slow thing down and wiped it back up and slammed it back down in the corners never looked back and zooom he was gone. I used to race bicycles so I can handle knees out in the bends pretty well. :D

No argument from me there, Joe. But when you're on a road where you slow down to the scooter's top speed for the slowest of the corners, that ain't happening.

I diced with a guy on a scooter for about 80 km in Flores a few years back. No silly risks, but I was laying black stripes on the tar coming out of corners, trying to get past him. That was roads where it was mostly 2nd and 3rd gears, of 6.

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 12:59 AM

Furball?

Just for you... bearing in mind that this is not necessarily the opinion of management or me:

mancards (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mancards)

1. All men (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=men) are born with one (1) mancard. A mancard is a symbolic phrase to recognize manliness within the human population.
2. You may (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=may) gain extra (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=extra) mancards throughout your life by doing manly things.

a. Manly things include, but are not limited to:
i. Firing your first gun
ii. Getting in a fight with a respectable opponent, bullying does not count and will (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=will)result in removal of a mancard.
iii. Standing up for your woman, family (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=family), the innocent (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=innocent), or friends (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=friends).
iv. Being a true gentleman (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gentleman).
v. Breaking twenty-five miles per hour over the speed limit.
vi. Beating a video game deemed manly and worthy of playing (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=playing) by other men.
1. Halo (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Halo) (1,2,3,ODST)
2. Gears of War
3. Left 4 Dead
4. Goldeneye
vii. Showing your knowledge of AND preparedness for a zombiepocalypse OR nuclear holocaust AND having that knowledge be evaluated by another man (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man) who has already received a mancard for this reason. Knowledge includes knowing how to survive AND helping others survive insofar as it does not impede your own survival.

b. Manly things are decided by other men currently in possession of a mancard. If you do something (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=something) manly when no other men are around (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=around) you may record the event and claim a mancard however upon telling the story at a later (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=later) date (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=date) another man must give you a mancard in recognition of the manliness, if this does not happen that man card (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=card) is not effective.
3. Mancards may be taken (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taken) at ANY time (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=time) by ANY man for acts that a real man should be ashamed of, regret, or simply make (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=make) them less of a man.

a. Taking a mancard can be for any of the following reasons, however, other reasons may be added to this list if situations call for it:
i. Ditching friends. Especially if it is to do something girly (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=girly) over something manly when doing so will not cause you to gain any form (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=form) of physical relations.

1. Example being, not going (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=going) to a UFC fight with your guy friends and deciding to go see a chick flick (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chick%20flick) (i.e. High School Musical 3) with girls that you are not dating (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dating) nor provide an opportunity to gain physical interaction with any of the girls.

ii. Making a stupid (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stupid) comment involving high school gossip (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gossip), or any other overtly gay (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gay)topic of which no man should ever speak.
iii. Quoting movies, songs, or any other media, when such media is deemed girly, gay, stupid, or otherwise unmanly by the majority of mancard holding men (Exceptions made (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=made) when such comment or quote is used in ridicule or otherwise demeaning the media being quoted). Examples being:
1. Nickleback
2. 3oh3
3. The Notebook
4. Fall Out Boy
5. Creed
6. Cosmo
7. Any “E!” “Oxygen” or “Lifetime” television show.
iv. Treating any woman, child, or person that looks to you as a role model/elder with disrespect (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=disrespect) or in a manner unbecoming of a gentleman.

1. This one may be excused in such a time as it is in a joking manner such as (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=such%20as)sarcasm (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sarcasm) AND when the person is a good friend or family and understands that the disrespect is not meant seriously.

v. Other reasons deemed unworthy of holding a mancard by other men with mancards.
4. A mancard may be permanently revoked in such a situation that brings irrevocable shame or guilt on the man in that he no longer deserves respect (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=respect) by other men. Such a case is to be determined by no less than four (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=four) (4) other men so as not to single (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=single) someone out due to a biased (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=biased) opinion. A permanent revoking of any and all mancards may happen in one of the following OR equally as devastating situations:
a. Battery (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Battery) on a woman or child. No man should EVER strike a woman or child with intent to harm, humiliate, injure, or otherwise cause damage to their physical or mental state.
i. Joking “love taps” or otherwise non-injuring or harmful “play (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=play) hitting” is not a cause for permanent revocation.

b. Acting in a SERIOUS racist (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=racist) or sexist manner. Small (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Small) leeway is allowed in this rule in regards to joking with a crowd that understands you are joking and in that you acknowledge that you mean (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mean) nothing from it. Any blatant racism or sexism in which the man is serious and has actual racist or sexist beliefs is grounds for a permanent revocation.

5. Women may on RARE occasions receive mancards for extraordinary acts of manliness or otherwise for which a man recognizes this and deems it appropriate. Women who receive mancards are of the highest quality of women and should be treated with the utmost respect, these are women that are able to hang with the guys and hold their own and not get “girly” when the men want to (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=want%20to) do manly things. Some examples of occasions that call for a woman to receive a mancard include:
a. Going (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Going) to the (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=to%20the) gun range and showing knowledge of the guns and firing properly without hesitation or help (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=help).
i. Without help does no mean someone can’t show her how to fire (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fire) but after learning she must return on another date and fire without help using the knowledge she gained previously.

b. Beating a video game deemed manly OR successfully defeating an experienced player (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=player) in a multiplayer match.
i. Multiple matches required so as to not give a mancard for a lucky win. Minimum of five (5) wins OR three (3) consecutive wins. Either the five or three wins must all be achieved in a single gaming session (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=session).
ii. Boyfriends or significant others are not allowed to give this mancard as they may be inclined to “let her win” to give her a mancard. Exception to the rule may be accepted if the woman is withholding physical relations; however, this must be approved by another man before her mancard is accepted.

c. Showing ample knowledge and interest of a manly professional sport. Included sports may be: UFC, Football (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Football), Hockey (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hockey), etc. Excluded sports include: Tennis, Golf, Curling, etc.

d. Out eating a man at an all you can eat buffet OR with wings (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wings), ribs, or otherwise deemed manly foods.

6. Men (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Men) with mancards shall always (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=always) respect each other as a mancard is a sign of being manly and no man that is not worthy of respect shall have one.

amish rob
11-16-2017, 01:02 AM
Furball?

Just for you... bearing in mind that this is not necessarily the opinion of management or me:

mancards (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mancards)

1. All men (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=men) are born with one (1) mancard. A mancard is a symbolic phrase to recognize manliness within the human population.
2. You may (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=may) gain extra (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=extra) mancards throughout your life by doing manly things.

a. Manly things include, but are not limited to:
i. Firing your first gun
ii. Getting in a fight with a respectable opponent, bullying does not count and will (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=will)result in removal of a mancard.
iii. Standing up for your woman, family (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=family), the innocent (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=innocent), or friends (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=friends).
iv. Being a true gentleman (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gentleman).
v. Breaking twenty-five miles per hour over the speed limit.
vi. Beating a video game deemed manly and worthy of playing (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=playing) by other men.
1. Halo (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Halo) (1,2,3,ODST)
2. Gears of War
3. Left 4 Dead
4. Goldeneye
vii. Showing your knowledge of AND preparedness for a zombiepocalypse OR nuclear holocaust AND having that knowledge be evaluated by another man (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man) who has already received a mancard for this reason. Knowledge includes knowing how to survive AND helping others survive insofar as it does not impede your own survival.

b. Manly things are decided by other men currently in possession of a mancard. If you do something (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=something) manly when no other men are around (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=around) you may record the event and claim a mancard however upon telling the story at a later (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=later) date (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=date) another man must give you a mancard in recognition of the manliness, if this does not happen that man card (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=card) is not effective.
3. Mancards may be taken (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taken) at ANY time (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=time) by ANY man for acts that a real man should be ashamed of, regret, or simply make (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=make) them less of a man.

a. Taking a mancard can be for any of the following reasons, however, other reasons may be added to this list if situations call for it:
i. Ditching friends. Especially if it is to do something girly (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=girly) over something manly when doing so will not cause you to gain any form (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=form) of physical relations.

1. Example being, not going (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=going) to a UFC fight with your guy friends and deciding to go see a chick flick (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chick%20flick) (i.e. High School Musical 3) with girls that you are not dating (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dating) nor provide an opportunity to gain physical interaction with any of the girls.

ii. Making a stupid (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stupid) comment involving high school gossip (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gossip), or any other overtly gay (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gay)topic of which no man should ever speak.
iii. Quoting movies, songs, or any other media, when such media is deemed girly, gay, stupid, or otherwise unmanly by the majority of mancard holding men (Exceptions made (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=made) when such comment or quote is used in ridicule or otherwise demeaning the media being quoted). Examples being:
1. Nickleback
2. 3oh3
3. The Notebook
4. Fall Out Boy
5. Creed
6. Cosmo
7. Any “E!” “Oxygen” or “Lifetime” television show.
iv. Treating any woman, child, or person that looks to you as a role model/elder with disrespect (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=disrespect) or in a manner unbecoming of a gentleman.

1. This one may be excused in such a time as it is in a joking manner such as (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=such%20as)sarcasm (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sarcasm) AND when the person is a good friend or family and understands that the disrespect is not meant seriously.

v. Other reasons deemed unworthy of holding a mancard by other men with mancards.
4. A mancard may be permanently revoked in such a situation that brings irrevocable shame or guilt on the man in that he no longer deserves respect (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=respect) by other men. Such a case is to be determined by no less than four (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=four) (4) other men so as not to single (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=single) someone out due to a biased (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=biased) opinion. A permanent revoking of any and all mancards may happen in one of the following OR equally as devastating situations:
a. Battery (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Battery) on a woman or child. No man should EVER strike a woman or child with intent to harm, humiliate, injure, or otherwise cause damage to their physical or mental state.
i. Joking “love taps” or otherwise non-injuring or harmful “play (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=play) hitting” is not a cause for permanent revocation.

b. Acting in a SERIOUS racist (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=racist) or sexist manner. Small (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Small) leeway is allowed in this rule in regards to joking with a crowd that understands you are joking and in that you acknowledge that you mean (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mean) nothing from it. Any blatant racism or sexism in which the man is serious and has actual racist or sexist beliefs is grounds for a permanent revocation.

5. Women may on RARE occasions receive mancards for extraordinary acts of manliness or otherwise for which a man recognizes this and deems it appropriate. Women who receive mancards are of the highest quality of women and should be treated with the utmost respect, these are women that are able to hang with the guys and hold their own and not get “girly” when the men want to (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=want%20to) do manly things. Some examples of occasions that call for a woman to receive a mancard include:
a. Going (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Going) to the (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=to%20the) gun range and showing knowledge of the guns and firing properly without hesitation or help (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=help).
i. Without help does no mean someone can’t show her how to fire (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fire) but after learning she must return on another date and fire without help using the knowledge she gained previously.

b. Beating a video game deemed manly OR successfully defeating an experienced player (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=player) in a multiplayer match.
i. Multiple matches required so as to not give a mancard for a lucky win. Minimum of five (5) wins OR three (3) consecutive wins. Either the five or three wins must all be achieved in a single gaming session (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=session).
ii. Boyfriends or significant others are not allowed to give this mancard as they may be inclined to “let her win” to give her a mancard. Exception to the rule may be accepted if the woman is withholding physical relations; however, this must be approved by another man before her mancard is accepted.

c. Showing ample knowledge and interest of a manly professional sport. Included sports may be: UFC, Football (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Football), Hockey (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hockey), etc. Excluded sports include: Tennis, Golf, Curling, etc.

d. Out eating a man at an all you can eat buffet OR with wings (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wings), ribs, or otherwise deemed manly foods.

6. Men (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Men) with mancards shall always (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=always) respect each other as a mancard is a sign of being manly and no man that is not worthy of respect shall have one.

Easily the most offensive thing you’ve posted. This is horrific, and nobody who subscribes to this, even in jest, is a man.

Peace,
Robert

Ralphie Boy
11-16-2017, 01:51 AM
One thing I never do is allow some idiot to goad me into doing something that I'm not comfortable doing, by saying "be a man" or "man up!".

Surfing, snowboarding, rock climbing,,and yes, motorcycling are all sports I've enjoyed which can sometimes be dangerous. But I use my logic and intuition to guide me when to go for it and when to pull back. i don't need to prove my manhood to anyone, so all that "Man Card" and "No Fear" BS is for tools.

Ralphie

PS: You get a Man Card for playing video games? WTF?

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 01:56 AM
Easily the most offensive thing you’ve posted. This is horrific, and nobody who subscribes to this, even in jest, is a man.

Peace,
Robert

Indeed. As it says, women can be allocated a man card.

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 01:58 AM
One thing I never do is allow some idiot to goad me into doing something that I'm not comfortable doing, by saying "be a man" or "man up!".

Surfing, snowboarding, rock climbing,,and yes, motorcycling are all sports I've enjoyed which can sometimes be dangerous. But I use my logic and intuition to guide me when to go for it and when to pull back. i don't need to prove my manhood to anyone, so all that "Man Card" and "No Fear" BS is for tools.

Ralphie

PS: You get a Man Card for playing video games? WTF?

I guess the video card bit is due to the 2nd Amendment. Gotta play gun games.

amish rob
11-16-2017, 02:13 AM
Indeed. As it says, women can be allocated a man card.
So, it’s okay for you to post something bashing “girly or g*y stuff”, eh? After you just went on about respecting people with the things you post?

My cousin is very gay, and I reckon he’s more “man” than most of the straight guys I know.

What you posted is just the type thing our President would subscribe to. I’ll bet he and his big hunter sons have “man cards”, eh?

Peace,
Robert

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 02:28 AM
So, it’s okay for you to post something bashing “girly or g*y stuff”, eh? After you just went on about respecting people with the things you post?

My cousin is very gay, and I reckon he’s more “man” than most of the straight guys I know.

What you posted is just the type thing our President would subscribe to. I’ll bet he and his big hunter sons have “man cards”, eh?

Peace,
Robert

It ain't worth trying to 'splain irony, or sarcasm, or wit to an American.

btw.... so are most of my gay friends (even some of the wimmins).

Do go back and read the intro disclaimer.

Do try and get a sense of humour.

Do try and understand the difference about an attack on a person who 'isn't on the boards' (that'd be an old shearer's expression, btw) and a bit of humour.

Reckon a bit of humour isn't needed around here?

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 02:31 AM
Do note that it isn't "bashing". It's a goddam joke. Always has been. Always will be.

How?

How on earth?

How on earth could you take that as an attack?

PeterSibley
11-16-2017, 02:38 AM
I haven't lost any friends on bikes yet. None, not one in 52 years of riding. I guess I've been lucky but then so have they.

amish rob
11-16-2017, 02:44 AM
It ain't worth trying to 'splain irony, or sarcasm, or wit to an American.

btw.... so are most of my gay friends (even some of the wimmins).

Do go back and read the intro disclaimer.

Do try and get a sense of humour.

Do try and understand the difference about an attack on a person who 'isn't on the boards' (that'd be an old shearer's expression, btw) and a bit of humour.

Reckon a bit of humour isn't needed around here?

I reckon you’ve explained enough.

Sad you must devolve to insults.

Peace,
Robert

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 03:50 AM
I reckon you’ve explained enough.

Sad you must devolve to insults.

Peace,
Robert

'twern't me that posted

What you posted is just the type thing our President would subscribe to.

davebrown
11-16-2017, 03:51 AM
I have had 13 bikes and get motorcycle fever every spring. But I traded them for convertibles when I had children. I don't think I could take the risk now. https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/25885_1340884054652_6662578_n.jpg?oh=120ac69a1bb65 31fb098dd7981fc6c62&oe=5AA6C5E4

PeterSibley
11-16-2017, 04:21 AM
I will concede that as I grow older my night vision has deteriorated, so I don't drive at night much any more. Eight or ten high-intensity xenon lights look somewhat silly on a bike, though I've seen full-dressed Harleys with all of that.

I've fitted my BMW with LED spotlights, they really work well and light up the side of the road effectively too. They're supposed to be spotlights but the optics are poor so the light spreads wide. An amazing light for very little current draw.

PeterSibley
11-16-2017, 04:24 AM
It took some homemade brackets but it was worth the work.

Reynard38
11-16-2017, 07:13 AM
I guess the video card bit is due to the 2nd Amendment. Gotta play gun games.

Video game fetish should result in a nerd card being issued.

Dave Hadfield
11-16-2017, 09:45 AM
No activity associated with life on earth is safe.

You could hide in bed under the covers, and then have a great big meteorite plummet down and turn you into strawberry jam.

I value experiences, greatly. They are the markers of one's life. They don't have to be macho at all, but very few of them can be accomplished watching TV in the basement (setting aside a remarkable evening when I was 16, with a girl named Kathy).

But when the risk factor builds up, the rewards had better rise too, or there's no point. I am NOT going bungee-jumping, or bat-suit riding. Or riding over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

But I will continue to go solo sailing, and fly warbirds at airshows.

Hey, none of it has to make sense.

Dave

Dave Hadfield
11-16-2017, 09:54 AM
We can modify Sturgeon's Law: ninety percent of everything is crap, and none of it has to make sense.

amish rob
11-16-2017, 09:57 AM
'twern't me that posted

And I didn’t post a missive about “girly” and “g*y” men. I also didn’t post about a person losing their “man card”.
What is funny about that? Same same type of hyper masculine bully nonsense as calling women names.

Nor or did I assume, and type, you were incapable of understanding what I wrote. I was simply pointing out the irony of your post.
Its okay to mock and demean SOME people is the message I got.

Peace,
Robert

Paul Pless
11-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Let it go Rob, plenty of good stuff posted to this thread besides the dreck.

David G
11-16-2017, 10:05 AM

So... did you at least TRY the bumped up life insurance ploy? :rolleyes:

amish rob
11-16-2017, 10:07 AM
:D

I lost two two this year, Paul, and I almost just lost my buddy.

He was in a truck, though, and the rear tire flatted. His truck flipped off the cliff and tumbled downhill. The force was so violent his left arm was nearly torn off. Just a big tear under the shirt.

The irony is, he may have fared better, injury wise, on a bike. More scrapes and breaks, maybe, but not the harsh, jarring, jolts of force from a seatbelt.

The worst, though, was my cousin. He died in January. He just went to sleep and never woke up. He was not close to 40.

Life is very uncertain, so enjoy every moment of it as if it were your last.

I never read any books, for example, I don’t want to be caught dead reading, and I always speak as if the words may be my last. :)

Peace,
Robert

Paul Pless
11-16-2017, 10:12 AM
So... did you at least TRY the bumped up life insurance ploy? :rolleyes:actually yes :D

TomF
11-16-2017, 10:13 AM
actually yes :Dgo higher. :D

Lew Barrett
11-16-2017, 10:19 AM
Nice bike

Hard to ignore the facts and calculating one's lost friends to this activity. I am searching for some of those answers myself.

Speed and complacency kills. I no longer drink at all and ride. I am invested in quality high viz suits, boots, helmets and gloves. Now moving to ride a smaller, slower and more nimble bike but does that mean I have a better chance of coming home safely? I don’t know.

And yet beer, especially beer, seems to be a common denominator among so many riders.

Paul Pless
11-16-2017, 10:22 AM
And yet beer, especially beer, seems to be a common denominator among so many riders.
Especially true in Hell.

amish rob
11-16-2017, 10:27 AM
I think about the mortorbike this way...

The roads I ride on are the same I’ve been riding a push bike on for decades. On the push bike, the shoulder was my spot, and on some of these roads, there ain’t much shoulder.
Plenty of times I’ve been bumped by mirrors, or flatted near traffic. I have lost more than a few friends on push bikes, around here.

And I need to be out there in the hills. I need to see the eagles and hawks, I need to smell the grass and wildflowers, I need to watch the seasons reflected in the countryside. It salves my soul.

I think back on all the times I crashed the push bike, or almost died on it. Yikes.

The motorbike is no different, except I have wide tires (:)) and a license plate that tells everyone I get my own spot in the lane. Oh, and I wear heavy boots, gloves, jacket and pants rather than Lycra underpants. :)

Peace,
Robert

George Jung
11-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Love riding - or, used to. Not concerned about my riding/abilities, but the yahoos I'm forced to 'share' the road with, that are doing everything except driving - hard to compensate for that. And when car meets motorcycle, being 'in the right' isn't worth much. And so... I don't ride. I do the work I really enjoy; do the activities I prefer; play with the grandkids.

Not a bad trade-off.

Ted Hoppe
11-16-2017, 11:00 AM
The elephant in this thread is many think that having a road motorcycle (or sports cars) is a license to break posted speed limits at most challenging public roads. Where in the heck did that personal privilege get asserted?
Dicng it up with other cyclists or other road vehicles on a public
road me is a whacked way to prove prowess and skill. The guy who passed me last year on the highway was speeding and dicing it up - until he wasn't. I still dream about his body flopping in it's death as I covered him with my blanket.

we write a lot about making moral and legal choices here. Not much is said when many here openly brag on flaunting laws regarding illegal speeding and endangering those on and along the road. Robert mentioned losing (bi)cyclist friends on a ride. Many of them were/are clipped from reckless speeding.

LeeG
11-16-2017, 11:12 AM
I think about what kind of bike I would get if I got one then I think of what it's like to heal at 62. I'd rather plant trees and play with the grandkids. Right now driving their '92 Pontiac Sunbird 35mph on a country road with the windows rolled down is a thrill.

Paul Pless
11-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Dicng it up with other cyclists or other road vehicles is a whacked way to prove prowess and skill. or manhood

amish rob
11-16-2017, 11:14 AM
or manhood
:d:d:d

Peace,
Robert

mmd
11-16-2017, 11:27 AM
Please let me be clear: I am not suggesting that those who do not, or those whom have given up, riding motorcycles are less 'manly' for it. I am suggesting that those men not preach at those of us who do about the error of our ways, complete with personal anecdotes. Believe me, we have heard - and in some cases, seen - it all before, and we have made up our minds to suit ourselves. Your tales of horror or attempts to shame us with regards to our 'responsibilities' to our families fall on deaf ears. Please stop.

John of Phoenix
11-16-2017, 11:38 AM
I got all the thrills anyone could ever want.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-NwquYl_Tj2U/TPViTg5ax0I/AAAAAAAAAX0/bGupqoQrxvE/w397-h527-no/Wingover.jpg

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 11:49 AM
I use my bike more than the cars. I regularly ride with friends - a female friend who is a good rider, but who's fallen off once whilst on a ride with me (car without indicator turned in front of her and she locked the front wheel) - and often on those rides with my girlfriend on the back of my bike.

Let's be clear - we don't speed. The roads we ride are heavily policed. There's also too many idiots out on the weekends, although we often avoid them and do Monday rides. We don't need to speed - and we pick roads that are enjoyable without it.

My last Sunday ride, more than half a dozen riders carved us up from behind... the first one arriving at speed and taking my ride on a corner with unbroken lines on it (no overtaking). I went looking for him at the rest stop. Found his bike but he was nowhere to be seen. He'd have gotten a piece of my mind if I could have found him. I wouldn't have minded if he'd bipped the horn on approach... but to suddenly have him beside me mid corner... nah.

Same road a bit over a month ago... saw a guy getting stuck into it. Riding a Suzuki GSX. Far too fast. We saw him going the other way. He died on the same corner the following weekend. No-one else involved (although he was passing another rider when he lost it).

The girls and I have pretty much agreed to try and avoid that road on weekends.

As for the insurance bit :d My ex recently asked if I wanted her to stop paying my term life insurance. "You're the beneficiary... you decide whether I'm likely to die. If so, keep paying it". I believe she might be.

Chip-skiff
11-16-2017, 02:35 PM
This isn't directed at anyone in particular.

Over several years on the Forum, I've noticed that quite a few of us talk about having a "man card," or "manning up," or "having the balls" to take some risk or other.

It would be a step in the right direction if we could find ways to describe integrity, courage, determination, grit, etc. in a manner that includes the other half of the human race.

|:)

mmd
11-16-2017, 02:59 PM
You want examples of female courage, determination, grit, etc.?

They married us, didn't they?

TomF
11-16-2017, 03:23 PM
You want examples of female courage, determination, grit, etc.?

They married us, didn't they?I've often thought that they get the short end of the .. uh ..

mmd
11-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Speak for yourself, Shorty...

TomF
11-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Speak for yourself, Shorty...I wasn't suggesting Herself had offered any critique ... :D

stromborg
11-16-2017, 04:08 PM
I have a deposit on the new G 310 gs. I should get it in January. I am changing my whole approach to riding. After owning my beautiful BMW r100cs for nearly 25 years. I think it is time to pass it on to someone else.

This new bike will allow me to ride most of the Pony Express Route filming bicyclists doing the same next early fall. As for the qualities - I cant go faster than 90 hitch is fine as I love to ride in the sweet spot of 35 to 55 most of the time on two lane roads as well as do sorted trails and forest roads. The price point and dealer assistance make this bike a winner. I got nothing to prove and really want to ride with like minded who like camping, conversation, style and comfort.

https://s4.paultan.org/image/2017/10/2018-BMW-Motorrad-G-310-GS-2.jpg

Hang on to the R100 for a bit, the airhead motor is an addictive beast, my first BMW was an R75 then a couple of K-bikes with a few airheads mixed back in because I missed them. Now I have a 650 Dakar that I got specifically for the kind of use you mention but migrated back to an R100GSPD, the 650 just doesn't have the same presence.

John B
11-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Actually , as someone who has resisted the urge to bike up again later in life the reason I've posted is not to interfere with someones passion or suggest that a biker shouldn't bike. More that ( Like David says )we ( late taker uppers)are the demographic that crashes.
As I've hit the various age thresholds and old school days injuries etc etc come back to haunt me , I can do without compounding that with new ones. Touch wood.
man card? got nothin' to prove there. And my wife is fearless, a subject which seems to come up every conversation these days including last night.
' weren't you scared?' .. talking about our ocean passage in a nasty seaway and 30 and 40 odd knots.
' no , but I got a bit annoyed at times'. which is talking about getting waves bust over the bow and land on her 40 ft after.

Paul Pless
11-16-2017, 04:23 PM
' no , but I got a bit annoyed at times'. awesome

Lew Barrett
11-16-2017, 04:49 PM
I'm less attracted to riding right now than I have been in 55 years. I never got to ride Europe the way I'd dreamed of in the '70s and that's an unrealized thing that could have happened, still could if I wanted it to. I'm not sure if I really want that anymore. And the place is so crowded now that the ride I'd dreamed of is likely no longer possible.

George Jung
11-16-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm less attracted to riding right now than I have been in 55 years. I never got to ride Europe the way I'd dreamed of in the '70s and that's an unrealized thing that could have happened, still could if I wanted it to. I'm not sure if I really want that anymore. And the place is so crowded now that the ride I'd dreamed of is likely no longer possible.

Yeah.... if only you had a *ride* that might mitigate, nay! salve the loss of motorbikiling...... poor sap....

hawkeye54
11-16-2017, 05:04 PM
FWIW, I rode for a few years some 50 years ago. I was riding in the Chicagoland and Northern Indiana area. While riding thru the woods
on asphalt, I hit a large drift of leaves and slid under a viaduct. A week later, after repairs, I was riding south on Ashland Ave in Chicago,
hit a patch of oil where a street sweeper had passed and slid across 8 lanes of 40 MPH traffic (untouched). After those 2 episodes
I decided to hang it up in favor of something with 'crumple zones'. YMMV.

Rick

George Jung
11-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Yeah. Crumple zones... on a motorcycle, they're rather 'thin', cleverly disguised as my arms and legs.

Lew Barrett
11-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Yeah.... if only you had a *ride* that might mitigate, nay! salve the loss of motorbikiling...... poor sap....

George, you're such a bring down! I'm pouring out my soul!

John B
11-16-2017, 06:21 PM
awesome
Well she did add ( only last night)she would have been uncomfortable 1 st night out had I not decided to have 2 on watch because it was rough.
The subject hadn't come up so hell, I did sumpin right and only just found out.

John B
11-16-2017, 06:22 PM
George, you're such a bring down! I'm pouring out my soul!

This is great, we gonna have a what's Lew going to drive around europe thread.

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 06:54 PM

Honda?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Indo2017/i-jMTqpJp/0/379b688c/X2/0ind17-X2.jpg

Ted Hoppe
11-16-2017, 07:05 PM
Sporty?

http://bestautophoto.com/images/smart-roadster-05.jpg

fixed!

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 09:04 PM
An American friend of mine - who moved to Oz after his office was bombed (WTC, first go) - was running his Lotus at Wakefield this week. Rotten sod was pulling times 8 seconds better than my best there in the M5. I won't repeat here what his nickname is for me... which relates to my driving style.

Not sure if there's anyone renting Lotus cars for pan-European holidays though.

George Jung
11-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Pffffst! Rent? I would expect Lew will simply have ‘European ‘ Lotus in his stables. Makes sense.

The Bigfella
11-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Pffffst! Rent? I would expect Lew will simply have ‘European ‘ Lotus in his stables. Makes sense.

A loaner for forumites when they are in Europe? That's very generous of him.

George Jung
11-16-2017, 09:24 PM

he gives till it hurts... damned near a saint... btw, Uncle Lew....when’s my week with the Lotus?

Lew Barrett
11-16-2017, 10:29 PM

Last time it was a Seat. I'll try to do a little better next time.

Lew Barrett
11-16-2017, 10:30 PM
he gives till it hurts... damned near a saint... btw, Uncle Lew....when’s my week with the Lotus?

All you have to do is tell me when your flight arrives at BNX.

Lew Barrett
11-16-2017, 10:32 PM
Not sure if there's anyone renting Lotus cars for pan-European holidays though.

No doubt. You could do it nicely with an Evora but you don't run across Lotus many rentals. I'd have to ship my car there. Which would be fun but extravagant. BMWs are easy rentals to find and not usually out of line. There are exotic car rentals available everywhere but you couldn't rent at their rates for a grand tour. I couldn't at any rate. A day or two maybe but I've never considered that. Gotta do some car touring when you're there though. Great place to drive around if you pick the right spots.

Lew Barrett
11-16-2017, 10:37 PM

I'm a prince.

Added for no particular reason: So far that car has been the best car I have ever owned. It's a joy to drive and it's been easy to own to date. Physical thing, it's all about feel. It has texture.

George Jung
11-16-2017, 10:40 PM
When is your euro-tour? If you got a van, or a-bus, your virtual friends could go. And nothing makes ya feel alive like a power slide through the hairpins, with a bus! Food for thought.