The Classification 'High Blood Pressure' Just Changed. Here's What You Need to Know

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharpiefan
    Pro-metric Space Cadet
    • Aug 2013

The Classification 'High Blood Pressure' Just Changed. Here's What You Need to Know

The Classification of 'High Blood Pressure' Just Changed. Here's What You Need to Know (ARTICLE LINK)

Excerpt
    The new definition of high blood pressure is 130/80 millimetres of mercury or greater: the first number represents the pressure on the blood vessels when the heart contracts, and the second is when the heart relaxes.

The old high blood pressure level was 140/90, which remains in place in other parts of the world like the UK and Australia, at least for the time being.

Experts say they want people to understand more about the complications that can occur at those lower numbers, and have also stressed the need for check-ups by qualified health professionals to get accurate readings.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)
  • Nicholas Scheuer
    • Aug 2006

Re: The Classification 'High Blood Pressure' Just Changed. Here's What You Need to Kn

A change in meds a couple of years ago put me down to 130/70, so I'm good to go.

Comment

• Reynard38
      • Sep 2009

Re: The Classification 'High Blood Pressure' Just Changed. Here's What You Need to Kn

Wonder if big pharma had any say in this...
      Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Comment

• stromborg
        • Sep 2010

Big Pharma came to my mind too when I heard this
        Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
        H.A. Calahan

Comment

• wizbang 13
          • Oct 2009

One is not healthy if you are taking meds.

Comment

• Vince Brennan
            Seymour TN 37865
            • Jun 2005

I need know NOTHING!

I say, Nothing, Jon Snow!

(Truly! !!!!!!)
            http://www.frayedknotarts.com

Comment

• JimD
              Senior Mumbler
              • Feb 2002

Reminds of the joke about the doctor who informs his patient that his heart is in such rough shape even the shock of receiving bad news could send him into cardiac arrest.
              There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Comment

• CK 17
                • Jul 2002

I’m 112/65. Big pharma is behind the cholesterol lowering craze, so I’m sure their complicit in this.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

Comment

• sharpiefan
                  Pro-metric Space Cadet
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Reynard38
                  Wonder if big pharma had any say in this...
                  It's the M.D.s & G.P.s - they must hate all the new high-tech portable/wearable sphygs.

have also stressed the need for check-ups by qualified health professionals to get accurate readings.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
                  May there be many a summer morning when,
                  with what pleasure, what joy,
                  you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
                  (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Comment

Working...