Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

Electric Vespa coming soon

Last year, Vespa announced that it was working on an electric scooter and today it has released some specs and an approximate availability date. The Vespa Elettrica is a silent, fully electric scooter with acceleration capabilities in line with those of traditional scooters, according to Vespa. It has a 62-mile range and can be fully charged in just four hours through a normal wall-mounted electrical outlet. The battery will reportedly last around 10 years, but will drop to 80 percent capacity after 1,000 charge cycles or so. The Elettrica comes in a chrome grey color, but buyers can choose between seven color options for the decorative trim.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)
  • Flying Orca
    Ruth, feck, and gorm
    • Jan 2007

Re: Electric Vespa coming soon

That's what I've been waiting for - I can leave my car at home half the year!

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• C. Ross
      • May 2007

Waiting on pricing...then I might be in for one.

This tech would massively improve so many motorcycle cities. I love Paris, but I hate the two stroke cycle whine and fumes that are everywhere all the time.

Comment

• StevenBauer
        LPBC member
        • Jan 2000

I hear there are lots of electric scooters in China. I’ve seen quite a few in NYC. Vespas are way more expensive than other brands of scooters. You pay for the name.

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
          Banned
          • Feb 2002

Yea read the specs on it at my local Vespa dealer - REALY REALY LAME
          Too bad sounds like a nice idea.

Comment

• lupussonic
            Massive member
            • May 2012

More SoCal than thou, Joe...

Comment

• Old Dryfoot
              That Richard Guy
              • May 2010

I'd like to learning more about the hybrid.
              I think Vespa is a little bit late to the electric scooter market though.

Comment

• Dan McCosh
                • Mar 2001

Might note that global electric scooter sales today are about 15 million--roughly the same as all the light vehicle (cars and trucks) sales in the U.S. today.

Comment

• The Bigfella
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Dan McCosh
                  Might note that global electric scooter sales today are about 15 million--roughly the same as all the light vehicle (cars and trucks) sales in the U.S. today.
                  A friend was in a Chinese city where all the scooters are electric, a year or two back. He said it was bloody dangerous as a pedestrian... damn things snuck up on you.

Sort of funny thinking of these things as an environmental improvement, eh? Coal-powered scooters is a better description.

Comment

• Breakaway
                    • Mar 2007

Several friends have Chinese-made electric scooters and use them for around town errands and so forth. One is in a congested Florida suburb. Another is in a beach community. A third is in a suburban area of Indiana. They are cheap and apparently fit for the purpose.

My Indiana friend also says that the local nickname for these scooters is, " liquor cycles," since when people lose their driver's license due to a DWI, they apparently buy a scooter.

Kevin
                    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• ahp
                      • Jan 2001

I have ridden an electric scooter in Beijing. They are bigger and heavier than a Vespa, but slower. Typically they do about 12 mph and are permitted on the bike lanes. There are a small number of faster gas scooters and they have to share the road with cars and trucks.

Comment

• StevenBauer
                        LPBC member
                        • Jan 2000

BMW sell an electric scooter now, the C Evolution.

It has a hundred mile range, goes 80mph(electronically limited) with 46HP, 0 to 30 in 2.8 seconds. Also ABS.

Not cheap though at over $13,000

Comment

Working...