X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norman Bernstein
    Liberaltarian
    • Nov 2004

Mueller may have snared a Democrat, too

Well, it looks like there's at least a little bit of bipartisanship in this mess

Democratic power lobbyist Tony Podesta, founder of the Podesta Group, is stepping down from the firm that bears his name after coming under investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller.

Podesta announced his decision during a firm-wide meeting Monday morning and is alerting clients of his impending departure.

Podesta is handing over full operational and financial control to longtime firm CEO Kimberley Fritts, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the meeting. Fritts and a senior group of the Podesta team will be launching a new firm in the next one or two days. Sources said the transition has been in the works for the past several months.

“[Tony] was very magnanimous and said, “This is an amazing group of people,” a source said of Podesta’s remarks. Podesta also told staff he “doesn’t intend to go quietly, or learn how to play golf.” He said he “needs to fight this as an individual, but doesn’t want the firm to fight it.”

Fritts also addressed the gathering, telling staff that she is “thrilled at this opportunity” and that, “This is not about me, this is about y’all.” Several other senior staff spoke about their excitement about the future of the firm. The meeting ended with a resounding ovation for Podesta.

Podesta Group did not respond to a request for comment for this story.

Podesta’s decision to leave the firm came on the same day that former Donald Trump campaign aides Paul Manafort and Rick Gates were indicted on multiple charges, including money laundering, operating as federal agents of the Ukrainian government, failing to disclose overseas bank accounts and making false statements to federal authorities. Trump campaign foreign policy advisor George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty earlier this month for lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russian officials, according to court records.

The investigation into Podesta and his firm grew out of investigators’ examination of Manafort’s finances. Manafort organized a PR campaign on behalf of a nonprofit called the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine. Podesta Group was one of several firms that were paid to do work on the PR campaign to promote Ukraine in the U.S.

Podesta Group filed paperwork with the Justice Department in April stating that it had done work for the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine that also benefited the same Ukrainian political party that Manafort once advised. Podesta Group said at the time it believed its client was a European think tank untethered to a political party.

Podesta has long been a larger than life figure on K Street, growing his business from a boutique firm into a massive lobbying and public relations operation. He is well known for his flashy dressing, vast art collection, generous campaign donations across all levels of Democratic politics and, of course, for his brother John Podesta, Hillary Clinton’s campaign chairman.

Podesta Group has struggled in the wake of the Mueller investigation. More than a dozen of its lobbying clients have cut ties with the firm this year, according to lobbying filings. Revenues have also declined: The firm brought in an estimated $4.8 million in the third quarter of 2017, down from $5.2 million in the second quarter of 2017 and from $6.1 million in the third quarter of 2016.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

• ron ll
    Seattle WA USA (Ballard)
    • Oct 2005

Re: Mueller may have snared a Democrat, too

Fine with me. Altho I'm a pretty straight ticket Democrat, I say get rid of all the crooks, Repub or Dem.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
      • Jun 2001

Originally posted by ron ll
      Fine with me. Altho I'm a pretty straight ticket Democrat, I say get rid of all the crooks, Repub or Dem.
      Exactly.

Comment

• SKIP KILPATRICK
        • Jan 2013

Yep, lock'm up!
        Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
        ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Comment

• oznabrag
          Historical Illiterate
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by John of Phoenix
          Exactly.
          Drain that swamp, baby!
          Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• David G
            • Dec 2003

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that ANY party or individual is immune to the social forces, pressures, and temptations that arise from the dysfunction of being too far into laissez-faire policies.

It's been noted elsewhere, however, that it is absolutely NOT the case that 'they're all corrupt, all the same'.
            David G
            Harbor Woodworks
            https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• TomF
              Recalcitrant Heretic
              • Jun 2003

Find the crooks, prosecute 'em, and let the penal system do what it does best to those who are convicted. This is your country we're talking about - and the stability of the rest of the world.
              If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• David G
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by TomF
                Find the crooks, prosecute 'em, and let the penal system do what it does best to those who are convicted. This is your country we're talking about - and the stability of the rest of the world.
                Indeed.

Originally posted by David G
                There is absolutely nothing to suggest that ANY party or individual is immune to the social forces, pressures, and temptations that arise from the dysfunction of being too far into laissez-faire policies.

It's been noted elsewhere, however, that it is absolutely NOT the case that 'they're all corrupt, all the same'.
                Here's more along those same lines --

David G
                Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

• ThomRose
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by David G
                  Indeed.

Here's more along those same lines --

Interesting. What happens if you add the legislative branch? What happens if you take it down to the state level? By the way, let's take out the indictments bar. Convictions and prison sentences are all that count. Indictment without conviction is not guilty in my book.
                  Originally posted by oznabrag
                  Just ask Thom.

He knows.

Comment

• David G
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ThomRose
                    Interesting. What happens if you add the legislative branch? What happens if you take it down to the state level? By the way, let's take out the indictments bar. Convictions and prison sentences are all that count. Indictment without conviction is not guilty in my book.
                    Parse it and chart is any way you feel might shed some light. Do share your research, I'm sure it'll be interesting.

But know that variations on the theme will not likely negate the basic point.
                    David G
                    Harbor Woodworks

Comment

• mdh
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2004

The basic point being: there is no equal justice under the law.

Comment

• Glen Longino
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by mdh
                        Why do you hate America?

Comment

• TomF
                          Recalcitrant Heretic
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by mdh
                          no, the basic point being that for half a century, Republicans have been more inclined to elect crooks.
                          If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• John Smith
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by mdh
                            That is true. That's why I told the judge I'd not convict any of the poor folks until the rich come to trial.
                            "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

Working...