PDA

View Full Version : Flake drops out of Senate race

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Another Trump Victory.

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) will not run for reelection, The Arizona Republic reported Tuesday (http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/2017/10/24/republican-senator-jeff-flake-announces-not-running-senate-reelection-gop-primary-ward-trump/793952001/), a stunning decision that stems from his high-profile clash with President Trump.
The announcement caught Washington by surprise, even though Flake's repeated criticisms of Trump had thrown serious doubt on whether he could survive a primary challenge against former state Sen. Kelli Ward.
"There may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party," Flake told the paper.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/flake-drops-out-of-senate-race/ar-AAu0ayz?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

Keith Wilson
10-24-2017, 02:43 PM
No place for honest men, even very conservative ones.

John of Phoenix
10-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Stand by for the lunacy of Kelli Ward.

TomF
10-24-2017, 02:52 PM
One helluva speech too, which you can read in full (http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/24/politics/jeff-flake-retirement-speech-full-text/index.html). It will leave a mark too, further chipping away at the orange ego.

Canoez
10-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Stand by for the lunacy of Kelli Ward.

Was gonna ask - what's left for alternative in Arizona?

John of Phoenix
10-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Retreat rather than fight. Goldwater would kick your sissy ass from Flagstaff all the way to Bisbee.

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Boy, was Flake emotional delivering his speech!

Yeadon
10-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Flake will be visiting Iowa soon.

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-24-2017, 03:08 PM
"We must never regard as "normal" the regular and casual undermining of our democratic norms and ideals. We must never meekly accept the daily sundering of our country - the personal attacks, the threats against principles, freedoms, and institutions, the flagrant disregard for truth or decency, the reckless provocations, most often for the pettiest and most personal reasons, reasons having nothing whatsoever to do with the fortunes of the people that we have all been elected to serve."

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-24-2017, 03:15 PM
http://thehill.com/sites/default/files/styles/thumb_small_article/public/tillis.png?itok=5hHq_gSW

NC Sen. Tillis brings popcorn to GOP lunch. Ready for the show!

John of Phoenix
10-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Was gonna ask - what's left for alternative in Arizona?The hope, and I actually mean Hope and Pray, is that from the many who are expected to run in the primary, there will be at least one sane republican to possibly split the vote but Crazy Kelli is Bannon's pick and he's shoveling a ton of money her way.

Kelli Ward, the former state senator from Lake Havasu City who lost her primary challenge last year against Sen. John McCain, has emerged this year as the top GOP alternative to Flake, but other names have been mentioned as possibilities: Arizona State Treasurer Jeff DeWit, former Arizona Republican Party Chairman Robert Graham and Arizona Board of Regents member Jay Heiler. Lesser-known Republicans Craig Brittain and Nicholas Tutora also have filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission and are running.

The democratic nominee is expected to be Kyrsten Sinema, currently the US Representative from the 9th District which is a mix of liberal and ultra crazy right neighborhoods in Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa and Scottsdale.

Other than being a Dem her biggest problem will be that she's openly bisexual in Red Meat AZ.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/Rep_Kyrsten_Sinema%2C_Official_Portrait.jpg/220px-Rep_Kyrsten_Sinema%2C_Official_Portrait.jpg

Rich Jones
10-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Is there any chance that Flake's and Corker's decision to not run just might result in the Dems taking those seats? I can only hope and pray. Two more loonies in Trump world, this country can not afford.

SKIP KILPATRICK
10-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Rich,

I think that is too much to hope for. Tennessee and Arizona are pretty save for Republicans.

John of Phoenix
10-24-2017, 04:06 PM
Is there any chance that Flake's and Corker's decision to not run just might result in the Dems taking those seats? I can only hope and pray. Two more loonies in Trump world, this country can not afford.The only thing that would make trump and bannon happier is that a bunch more republicans would do the same thing. The thing they can count on most is that crazy reds get off the sofa and go out to vote.

Daniel Noyes
10-24-2017, 04:57 PM
One helluva speech too, which you can read in full (http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/24/politics/jeff-flake-retirement-speech-full-text/index.html). It will leave a mark too, further chipping away at the orange ego.

the Corporate Multinationalist Free Trade Republicans have been out in force this week wrapping themselves in the flag, pleading for our Democracy and evoking thoughts of "what will we say to our children" ... well Flake can tell his kids he was "a traitor to the American worker and enjoyed kicking the little guys while they were down"... Good Riddance! :D

If only GW had not tried to get assembling a MC Donalds hamburger counted as Manufacturing in order to mask the corporate draining of US Jobs he might still have a shred of credibility...

Steve McMahon
10-24-2017, 05:06 PM

It must be fake news - that link is from CNN, they must have made it up.

S.V. Airlie
10-24-2017, 05:08 PM
Tasalking about Flakes, oh wait, from some of your posts Daniel, you're the opposite of Flake. Read his speech and you'll understand the difference between you two.

Daniel Noyes
10-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Tasalking about Flakes, oh wait, from some of your posts Daniel, you're the opposite of Flake. Read his speech and you'll understand the difference between you two.

so true, the difference you are picking up on is that I'm not a big supporter of Billion dollar multinational companies and Corporate elites selling out American jobs in return for big exeuctive bonuses... something Democrats are suddenly fine with since Trumpy has come out against off shoring jobs... go figure:confused:

Daniel Noyes
10-24-2017, 05:16 PM
hey Flake, make sure the door does not hit you on your way out! :D

McMike
10-24-2017, 05:16 PM
so true, the difference you are picking up on is that I'm not a big supporter of Billion dollar multinational companies and Corporate elites selling out American jobs in return for big exeuctive bonuses... something Democrats are suddenly fine with since Trumpy has come out against off shoring jobs... go figure:confused:

$300 mil to a shell company in Montana? That's your president ya know? You okay with that?

ccmanuals
10-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Of course your confused. Daniel, are you aware that all that Trump clothing and crap is made in China, Bangladesh, Honduras and Vietnam.

Rich Jones
10-24-2017, 07:01 PM
So, Daniel, you approve of DT's character? His unfaithfulness to his various wives? His bullying of anyone who dares disagree with him? His childish tweeting. His absolutely ruthless business practices? The list of his crass character is endless. Please, I would like you to tell me that this behavior is something we should teach our children.

Tom Wilkinson
10-24-2017, 07:04 PM
That's the really funny thing. Trump actually has people that believe that crap. They really think he is pro American jobs, when every shred of evidence shows otherwise. He off shores everything he possibly can, even his stupid MAGA hats and they eat it up. Cognitive dissonance at is best.

Tom Wilkinson
10-24-2017, 07:05 PM
So, Daniel, you approve of DT's character? His unfaithfulness to his various wives? His bullying of anyone who dares disagree with him? His childish tweeting. His absolutely ruthless business practices? The list of his crass character is endless. Please, I would like you to tell me that this behavior is something we should teach our children.

I'd be willing to bet he has personally paid for many an abortion with an accompanying gag order as well. But Danny with back him no matter what.

McMike
10-24-2017, 07:06 PM
I wonder how many abortions Trump has paid for??

Tom Wilkinson
10-24-2017, 07:09 PM
I'm sure there were a few during his "personal Vietnam".

McMike
10-24-2017, 07:11 PM
I'm sure there were a few during his "personal Vietnam".

Without a doubt.

S.V. Airlie
10-24-2017, 07:16 PM
Without a doubt. He probably will say he was shot. Yup, a shot of Penicillin in the butt. Should have gotten a Purple Heart with clusters.

mdh
10-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Sorry, Mr. Flake, but we were already gone: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=eagles+already+gone&view=detail&mid=6CCDE8DBEFFC1BDC30F26CCDE8DBEFFC1BDC30F2&FORM=VRRTAP

He saved himself the trouble and cost of losing his primary.

David G
10-24-2017, 09:26 PM
Rich,

I think that is too much to hope for. Tennessee and Arizona are pretty save for Republicans.

I have a young friend in AZ... a nursing student, and a moderate Republican. She seems to think that changing demographics might be enough to overcome serious gerrymandering and allow a Democrat to finally be elected...

I'd love to find that she's right, but I find it hard to believe.

S.V. Airlie
10-24-2017, 09:29 PM
No, he has principles, a lack of morality and everything the current Republican Congress has lost to greed and said that he wouldn't be a party to a bunch of idiots who no longer has any. But, you haven't read his speech and therefore are clueless as why he dropped out.mdh

LeeG
10-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Quite a speech, but why retire?

Lew Barrett
10-24-2017, 10:07 PM
Is there any chance that Flake's and Corker's decision to not run just might result in the Dems taking those seats? I can only hope and pray. Two more loonies in Trump world, this country can not afford.

Not in Tennessee. The thing that scorches is that it's fine to talk about what a disaster Trump is, but these guys will continue to vote for his policies. It's depressing and annoying.

Lew Barrett
10-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Rich,

Sadly. See above.

Lew Barrett
10-24-2017, 10:10 PM

As usual, it's easy for him. He has the money to go whichever way he wants. Pay for the operation or take on another kid to torture.

LeeG
10-24-2017, 10:19 PM
Flake: If the shoe were on the other foot, would Republicans accept this behaviour from the president? "Of course we wouldn't."

Sorry Flake, Republicans couldn't accept Obama picking a Supreme Court Justice. Trump is acceptable to the Party, he's their guy.

mdh
10-24-2017, 10:24 PM
I have a young friend in AZ... a nursing student, and a moderate Republican. She seems to think that changing demographics might be enough to overcome serious gerrymandering and allow a Democrat to finally be elected...

I'd love to find that she's right, but I find it hard to believe.

You might explain to your young, female, moderate republican friend; that Senate races are statewide elections, with no impact from gerrymandering.

Chip-skiff
10-24-2017, 10:26 PM
The political equivalent of dandruff?

Gerarddm
10-25-2017, 01:17 AM
Guys like Flake and Corker make for nice copy, but if they had real cojones they would switch their affiliation to Independent, and vote on the Senate floor that way. Now THAT would make a statement.