PDA

View Full Version : Old kayak, new skin with new bones

DickB
06-08-2003, 07:14 AM
A friend has an old kayak frame, one that used to have naugahyde over it. It is beloved and the thought is to rebuild from scratch (bulkheads, stringers, bottom, stem are intact if delaminating). The idea would be to forget about naugahyde and to build rather with wood strakes. Epoxy is not to be considered except for small applications (so--not for joining strakes as they lap, but for scarfing, "gluing" of stem to bottom, etc.). Thoughts were: a) local pine or cedar as strakes with clinched/3M5200 laps, or b) so way to "express" the stringers -- echoing the naugahyde look -- and making stringers that strakes would fit into (having them sit in a rabetted stringer). The last seems very difficult to me but not impossible.

Paul Scheuer
06-08-2003, 10:32 AM
You can still get the naugahide from Folbot. I think they're located somewhere in South Carolina. http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid18/pdd7b575f827d2782bfd4107d847cf319/fdd396c6.jpg

TomRobb
06-10-2003, 09:55 AM
What's the 5200 for?
Since it is beloved, why not reproduce the failed parts, replace the canvas with new from Folbot and voile - she's restored to original, beloved, condition.
If you want a clinker kayak, an old Folbot perhaps is not the best place to start. And, of course, when your project is complete, it would no longer the Beloved, would it?

Eric Sea Frog
06-10-2003, 12:52 PM
What's that kayak? Round-chined? Beam?
Naugahyde isn't a proper kayak skinning material.
I have never seen a lapstrake yak hull, the overlaps mean more weight to push when paddling.
So if you want wood for your hull, it should rather be a strip-planking job. Lots of epoxy!
See the Guillemot site for this purpose.
Your friend can also use truck tarp or polyester canvas as a skin.

Paul Scheuer
06-10-2003, 01:09 PM
The red/white one above is a Rigid (non-folding) Folbot Sporty, 15 ft.

Free Boat kit acquired from an admirer of my Yankee Tender as a partially assembled (screwed up) kit which had been in storage since the 60s. The original mis-assembler had followed the pictures rather than the directions and ended up with a frame out of place which made all the lines wrong.

It is multi-chine with a plank keel and a fairly open cockpit. Beam is about 24 inches.

Naugahide isn't the easiest thing to work with especially after it was stored in a crinkled roll for many years. A steam iron took the creases out and I stretched it on the frame with laces for a winter before I tacked in on.