PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Sears Canada

bob winter
10-13-2017, 04:51 PM
The courts have authorized the liquidation of the company. It has been coming for years but it still seems strange. I used to shop there but not so much lately. How is Sears in the states doing? I understand they have their own problems.

CWSmith
10-13-2017, 05:04 PM
The Sears down here are not doing well, either.

Nicholas Scheuer
10-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Forty years ago I shoped for everything at Sears, clothes, tires, batteries, tools, and paint. Now? Rarely for anything. My Craftsman tools are still doing well. We did get an elliptical exercise machine and a lawn mower several years ago. Clothes? Forget that. I now buy more used tools at Retool, some of them Craftsman.

Dale H
10-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Out here in the rural parts of the west, Sears was our "go to" supplier for nearly everything for years. You ordered on the phone and in a few days your order was at your local catalogue store- always with free shipping. Then they started charging for shipping big time and that stopped us from ordering from them almost right away. Started using Amazon with it's usually free or at least cheap shipping and have never looked back. Sears was always my parent's store and once their generation started to die out, Sears did not adjust to the changing marketplace.

Jimmy W
10-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Last April, Stanley Black & Decker acquired the Craftsman brand from Sears Holdings. Sears maintains the right to manufacture and sell tools using existing supply channels under the Craftsman name for 15 years after the deal closed. I wonder if Stanley will still honor the guarantee on Craftman tools. K-Mart bought out Sears, but they are also in very bad shape and closing stores.

Old Dryfoot
10-13-2017, 06:44 PM
"Sears did not adjust to the changing marketplace."

Yup. In a nutshell.

Breakaway
10-13-2017, 06:47 PM
It's ironic that Sears didn't adjust, given that they were the first, big, we-sell-everything-mail-order outfit.

That's all Amazon is, at it's core.

Kevin

Old Dryfoot
10-13-2017, 07:23 PM
^ Bigly!

And now 12,000+ people are out of work.

oznabrag
10-13-2017, 09:47 PM
Forty years ago I shoped for everything at Sears, clothes, tires, batteries, tools, and paint. Now? Rarely for anything. My Craftsman tools are still doing well. We did get an elliptical exercise machine and a lawn mower several years ago. Clothes? Forget that. I now buy more used tools at Retool, some of them Craftsman.

Re-Tool!!!!!

What a great store!

We had one in Athens, GA, for a while.

The owner said that there were only about 17 franchises at their biggest, and that the problem was that it took a very particular combination of personality, sales skills, tool knowledge and networking ability to make the idea work.

Neal had those qualities in spades.

He called me up one time and sold me a Delta wood lathe before he even loaded it onto his truck.

Said he would let me have it for 2/3 of his retail price AND deliver it that day. He was a devil. :D :D

mmd
10-14-2017, 08:05 AM
The arrival of the "Christmas Wish Book" catalogue in the mail in early October was always a banner day in just about every Canadian kid's life, and created fevered activity in creating letters to Santa. Dad worked at the Post Office so Mom - and when we got older, us kids - got corralled into answering some of the hundreds of letters to Santa (Santa Claus, North Pole, Postal Code H0H 0H0, in case you have forgotten) received at the Bridgewater PO. Many of the letters, some in crayon, told Santa that if his toyshop needed to see what the desired toy looked like, he could refer to page and item number in the 'Wish Book".

The closing of Sears is more than the closure of a retail giant, but that of a national institution. As the American President might phrase it, sad; bigly sad.

Flying Orca
10-14-2017, 09:50 AM
"Sears did not adjust to the changing marketplace."

Yup. In a nutshell.

Well, in the sense that they didn't try to get by on cheap Chinese crap and extremely low margins. Which seem to be what most people want.

Sears was great when we lived up north - the go-to supplier for everything from clothes to Christmas presents (the ones we didn't make ourselves, anyway).

Flying Orca
10-14-2017, 09:51 AM
The closing of Sears is more than the closure of a retail giant, but that of a national institution. As the American President might phrase it, sad; bigly sad.

Yep.

Dale H
10-14-2017, 09:59 AM
The arrival of the "Christmas Wish Book" catalogue in the mail in early October was always a banner day in just about every Canadian kid's life, and created fevered activity in creating letters to Santa.

The "Wish Book", now that was a tradition. True story....one fall, I noticed a kid in my grade 4 class looking through a totally tattered and ratty catalogue. I thought it must be one from a few years back, so I had a peek. Nope, it was the new one, so I guessed it must have been through this kid's large family before she finally got a peek and had to bring it to school to keep her younger siblings from completely dismantling it. I guess kids will now have to email Santa a link to what they want for Christmas...

Hugh Conway
10-14-2017, 01:38 PM
Well, in the sense that they didn't try to get by on cheap Chinese crap and extremely low margins. Which seem to be what most people want.

Down here they attempt cheap chinese made crap at high margins. Like $20 for a pos bandsaw blade. It's not working well for them.

The PE genius that owns them thought he could manage a retail store and sell off their sizable real estate holdings. Unfortunately he found out that his anchor stores at malls became, well, anchors for the mall dragging the mall down and depressing the real estate value. Sears doesn't have long.

The stand-alone sears are even more depressing than the mall versions - the downtown St. Paul one is void of shoppers but still exists, stumbling along
http://finance-commerce.com/files/2015/07/Sears1x.jpg

Nicholas Carey
10-14-2017, 01:51 PM
The courts have authorized the liquidation of the company. It has been coming for years but it still seems strange. I used to shop there but not so much lately. How is Sears in the states doing? I understand they have their own problems.

Sears, Roebuck & Company have been in hospice and on life support for at least 20 years. It is just a matter of time.

bob winter
10-14-2017, 04:15 PM
Down here they attempt cheap chinese made crap at high margins. Like $20 for a pos bandsaw blade. It's not working well for them.

The PE genius that owns them thought he could manage a retail store and sell off their sizable real estate holdings. Unfortunately he found out that his anchor stores at malls became, well, anchors for the mall dragging the mall down and depressing the real estate value. Sears doesn't have long.

The stand-alone sears are even more depressing than the mall versions - the downtown St. Paul one is void of shoppers but still exists, stumbling along
http://finance-commerce.com/files/2015/07/Sears1x.jpg
Looking on the bright side there is no danger of being crushed by the crowd. I think somebody said Craftsman was sold to B&D, who bought Kenmore?

Reynard38
10-14-2017, 04:34 PM
We had a Kmart that converted to a Sears. It wa clean and well stocked, but felt very old and out of place. It was also devoid of shoppers.
It closed. Turned back into a Kmart. Then the Kmart closed. Place is now a Dick's Sporting goods. Great place to buy a yoga outfit, and not much else.

bob winter
10-14-2017, 04:42 PM
K mart folded in Canada years ago, can’t remember what happened to them. Woolco was bought by Walmart and none of the stores closed during the transition, unlike the morons at Target who bought the Zellers stores and closed them for months ad cut off their cash flow. I imagine the guy in charge of that got a nice bonus.

Flying Orca
10-14-2017, 05:56 PM
K mart folded in Canada years ago, can’t remember what happened to them. Woolco was bought by Walmart and none of the stores closed during the transition, unlike the morons at Target who bought the Zellers stores and closed them for months ad cut off their cash flow. I imagine the guy in charge of that got a nice bonus.

I believe that was Tony Fisher, who was let go. His replacement Mark Schindele came too little too late, and was given a VP position on returning to the parent corporation after the Canadian operation folded.

How Target ever thought it could succeed where Zellers couldn't is beyond me. I think they looked at the number of cross-border shoppers who flocked to Target and projected a health margin of shoppers on top of that number, not realizing that Canadian Targets wouldn't have pricing as attractive as US stores.

L.A Marche
10-14-2017, 06:03 PM
I think Zellers acquired Kmart in the 90's

Dale H
10-14-2017, 07:37 PM
From the look of that photo, Sears must be the safest place in the world to be on Black Friday. No crowds to crush you or angry shoppers to punch you out!

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
10-14-2017, 07:45 PM
In my youth, my family bought EVERYTHING from Sears.

In recent years, the moment I returned a broken made-in-USA Craftsman wrench and all they could offer was a Chinese-made replacement, and also refused to honor the warranty on a broken small Craftsman bench vise ("not a hand tool" they said), I walked out of the store and vowed to never return. And I never have. I'll kick dirt on their grave.

Flying Orca
10-14-2017, 08:12 PM
I think Zellers acquired Kmart in the 90's

Kind of. Zellers was owned by HBC by that time, and HBC acquired Kmart's Canadian division in 1998, merging it with Zellers. (I used to work for the Bay, back when it still had a Northern Stores division.)

Gerarddm
10-15-2017, 10:10 AM
Amazing to think that Sears was once such a behemoth. Ah, the glory that was Rome.

Now it's all over but the shouting - er, whimpering.

Hugh Conway
10-15-2017, 09:28 PM
How Target ever thought it could succeed where Zellers couldn't is beyond me. I think they looked at the number of cross-border shoppers who flocked to Target and projected a health margin of shoppers on top of that number, not realizing that Canadian Targets wouldn't have pricing as attractive as US stores.

A willful ignorance of the differences between Canada and the US - geography and consumer behavior foremost - coupled with a woeful ignorance of their own logistic processes are a good start.

carioca1232001
10-15-2017, 09:52 PM
There was just one Sears store here in Rio de Janeiro that went out of business 15-20 years ago. It operated much like a 'department store', to include household appliances, furnitures, fittings, decorative goods and personal clothing items.

In a prime location, the same premises gave rise to a 'shopping mall', which caters to a wider group of consumers, products and brand names - on-site revenue seems to have soared.

bob winter
10-17-2017, 12:01 PM
The actual liquidation starts Thursday, tomorrow is the last day that extended warranties will be honoured. It appears that Sears has been unable to sell off the appliance repair business, which I don't find all that surprising because it had to be the most stupidly run operation I ever saw. Unfortunate for those with maintenance contracts in place.

Old Dryfoot
10-26-2017, 09:54 AM
Well, so much for the "sale." Sears was offering 20% to 50% in their big close out sale, but it seems that is all smoke and mirrors. There are lots of reports of prices being raised before the sale prices were applied. Often resulting the items actually selling for more that the original Sears non sale price.

And this is why they are going out of business. . .
Oh, there was also some news about executives getting bonuses to stay on through the liquidation, while the employees will not get their pensions.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/i-feel-very-used-shoppers-complain-of-price-hikes-during-sears-liquidation-sale-1.3649735

Figment
10-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Craftsman tools coming to Lowe's next year.... http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/24/news/companies/craftsman-lowes-sears/index.html

That will be interesting, locally. Sears is one anchor of the local mall (Target is the other), and from my observation the tools/home/garden part of the store is the only part that sees any action, meanwhile we have a Lowe's about 300yds down the road.