PDA

View Full Version : BEER - Awards from the GABF

David G
10-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Lots of suggestions for those looking to expand their repertoires. Or find good local beers. Or discover new styles of beer. I see the locals are still well-represented. I stopped counting at a dozen Oregon beers. But what continues to impress is how far-flung the phenomenon has become. There are excellent beers available now in more and more places.

https://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/the-competition/winners/

David G
10-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Anyone tried any of these award-winners?

I had the Rye Saison from Base Camp at a buddy's house recently. Very good. Most of the Oregon winner, though, I haven't yet run across. I'll work on it. <G>

pkrone
10-11-2017, 11:33 AM
A classmate from college is part-owner of Lost 40 Brewery in Little Rock, AR. He toured us around the brewery when we were there in August taking our daughter to college. Nice place and great beer. They won silver for Vienna lager.

I was surprised that there were no medals for a single North Texas brewery except for Armadillo in Denton. Lot of good beers out there. Lots of mediocre crap too... I would've liked to have seen the entry list for each category, not just the medalists.

David G
10-11-2017, 11:54 AM
A classmate from college is part-owner of Lost 40 Brewery in Little Rock, AR. He toured us around the brewery when we were there in August taking our daughter to college. Nice place and great beer. They won silver for Vienna lager.

I was surprised that there were no medals for a single North Texas brewery except for Armadillo in Denton. Lot of good beers out there. Lots of mediocre crap too... I would've liked to have seen the entry list for each category, not just the medalists.

I wasn't sure Armadillo Ale was still around. Many years ago, I had one when a flight got diverted to DFW. (Please, lord, whatever I did to deserve THAT... I'll never do it again!!!) I was impressed enough to buy a t-shirt for my sweetie. With the German heritage in central Tejas (best lebkuchen I've ever had were found in New Braunfels)... you'd think there'd be more impetus to join in the microbrew renaissance. Perhaps we can put it down to the fact that Texas is just plain backwards in LOTS of ways? <G>