PDA

View Full Version : Why do people have knee jerk reactions?

John Smith
10-09-2017, 09:37 AM
A quarterback kneeling became a huge issue when our president reacted to it. Nazis exercising their right to march becomes a huge issue when there is a reaction to it.

We are still deeply involved in the chaos of the middle east because of how we reacted to 9/11.

I had a number of people get upset with me, as their Chief Steward, when I didn't file a grievance on their behalf instantly. I had 14 days. If I gave myself a week or so to ponder my options, I ended up filing a better grievance, with a stronger case, and a far greater probability of an outcome we liked.

Frequently in life, the initial action has the singular purpose of 'pushing one's button' to provoke a reaction. All too often they succeed.

CWSmith
10-09-2017, 11:23 AM
You raise 4 examples and I think they have 4 separate explanations.

1) Manipulation. Some people are easily manipulated because they don't think (period).
2) Quagmire. A bad decision brought on by faulty reasoning and it won't go away.
3) Insecurity. People who feel wronged want action now. They also don't think.
4) Anger. Provoking a reaction should never be the first intent. Some jump right to it first.

Peerie Maa
10-09-2017, 12:37 PM
If I gave myself a week or so to ponder my options, I ended up filing a better grievance, with a stronger case, and a far greater probability of an outcome we liked.

It is that System 1 thinking again. You did System 2.