PDA

View Full Version : Have We Been Sold Out?

webishop14
10-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Here are two news items that may be totally unconnected. But I don't like this coincidence.

First, Hewlett Packard Enterprise allowed allowed Russia to study the source code of software used by the Pentagon to secure its systems in an effort to sell its software in Russia:

HP Enterprise marketing move. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-russia-hpe-specialreport/special-report-hp-enterprise-let-russia-scrutinize-cyberdefense-system-used-by-pentagon-idUSKCN1C716M)

And then, a curious computer virus has infected the command and control systems of our military drone ops:

A benign virus??? (https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2011/10/exclusive-computer-virus-hits-drone-fleet/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark)

A computer virus has infected the cockpits of America’s Predator and Reaper drones, logging pilots’ every keystroke as they remotely fly missions over Afghanistan and other war zones.

“We keep wiping it off, and it keeps coming back,” says a source familiar with the network infection, one of three that told Danger Room about the virus. “We think it’s benign. But we just don’t know.”

Perhaps I'm being too alarmist here?

Reynard38
10-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Oops.

CWSmith
10-08-2017, 01:01 PM
It sounds like someone at HP needs to go before a judge.

skaraborgcraft
10-08-2017, 01:11 PM
What a shame for US drones to lose plausable deniability, when others might actually know where they are next time a market of civilians are killed......

epoxyboy
10-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Military hardware + "benign virus" = oxymoron.
Imagine the response if a virus was found in civilian airliner code. They would be grounded, until the problem was resolved.

Pete

Peerie Maa
10-08-2017, 01:29 PM
That is illegal under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
If it is not fake news HP are going to have to cough up big time to wriggle out of it.

CWSmith
10-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Reminds me of Hughes Corp and the Chinese that gave rise to ITAR.

Not to mention, is it possible the code was not classified? It had to be.

Peerie Maa
10-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Reminds me of Hughes Corp and the Chinese that gave rise to ITAR.

Not to mention, is it possible the code was not classified? It had to be.

If a mattress is used in a warship bunk it is covered by ITAR.

PhaseLockedLoop
10-08-2017, 04:09 PM
What a shame for US drones to lose plausable deniability, when others might actually know where they are next time a market of civilians are killed......

Look, buddy, civilians shouldn't do their goddam marketing near where we might be setting up to snuff somebody for secret reasons. Since this might be anywhere, civilians everywhere oughta just stay home, unless their home is near someone we might wanta snuff, in which case, good luck, huh?

skuthorp
10-08-2017, 04:14 PM
"HP Enterprise marketing move. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-russia-hpe-specialreport/special-report-hp-enterprise-let-russia-scrutinize-cyberdefense-system-used-by-pentagon-idUSKCN1C716M)"

Business is business………………..

Jim Bow
10-08-2017, 04:52 PM
I recall in the 1980s a group of Chinese engineers were given a supervised walk-through of the cruise missle assembly facility at Boeing in Renton WA.
No cameras, of course, and no recording devices. The Boeing chauffeurs reported that, when they got back in the limos, they removed their shoes and put them in Ziploc bags.
They had fresh shoes in their attache cases.
The belief is that they could analyze the dust picked up on the shoes for any possible manufacturing info.
My, how military industrial spying has changed.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
10-08-2017, 05:16 PM
I recall in the 1980s a group of Chinese engineers were given a supervised walk-through of the cruise missle assembly facility at Boeing in Renton WA.
No cameras, of course, and no recording devices. The Boeing chauffeurs reported that, when they got back in the limos, they removed their shoes and put them in Ziploc bags.
They had fresh shoes in their attache cases.
The belief is that they could analyze the dust picked up on the shoes for any possible manufacturing info.
My, how military industrial spying has changed.

The Russians did the same with soft soled shoes when they toured Rolls Royce engines in the 50s I think.

CWSmith
10-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Guys, this isn't spying. If HP allowed the Russians access to the code, they're traitors and should be dealt with accordingly.

This story makes me sick. If it's true, some people (not just the corporation) need to pay for what they did.