PDA

View Full Version : The Case Against Pence

Ian McColgin
10-07-2017, 08:59 PM
[IMc - You don't need to be a secularist or atheist to see the evil in narrow fundamentalism. There is such a thing as authentically Christian evangelical fundamentalism. I disagree with that theology but I respect it. I do not respect Pence or his totalitarianism.]

Mike Pence Promotes Christian Theocracy
OCTOBER 4, 2016

BY MICHAEL STONE

Trump may be a buffoon, but Mike Pence is a cold, cruel, religious extremist with dreams of a Christian theocracy.

Vice President Mike Pence is a conservative Christian nightmare who rejects the separation of church and state, and places his Christian faith above the U.S. Constitution.

Pence, who is fond of saying he is “a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order,” is Sarah Palin without the charisma, a dangerous religious extremist who dreams of a Christian theocracy.

Anti-Science

Pence believes that creationism should be taught in public schools.

When serving as a congressman, Pence made it clear that he opposes evolution, and believes that only creationism (intelligent design) provides a “rational explanation for the known universe.”

In 2002, Pence delivered a passionate speech on the floor of the House of Representatives arguing that evolution is “only a theory” and that public schools should teach the theory of intelligent design as well as the theory of evolution.

Pence told his colleagues:

I believe that God created the known universe, the earth and everything in it, including man. And I also believe that someday scientists will come to see that only the theory of intelligent design provides even a remotely rational explanation for the known universe.
In other words, for Pence, the only rational explanation is “God did it.”

In his speech, Pence also made the false and misleading claim that creationism is a valid scientific alternative to the theory of evolution, arguing that creationism should be taught alongside evolution in the public school science classroom.

Pence is also a climate science denier. Media Matters reports:

On the February 21, 2014, edition of MSNBC’s The Daily Rundown, host Chuck Todd asked Pence if he is “convinced that climate change is man-made.” Pence responded: “I don’t know that that is a resolved issue in science today.” Moments later, Pence added: “Just a few years ago, we were talking about global warming. We haven’t seen a lot of warming lately. I remember back in the ‘70s we were talking about the coming ice age.” Pence similarly stated on the May 5, 2009, edition of MSNBC’s Hardball that “I think the science is very mixed on the subject of global warming,” as ThinkProgress noted. However, according to NASA: “Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities.”
Anti-Gay

Pence thinks the government should pay for gay conversion therapy.

Pence is a rabid homophobe who wants to deny civil civil rights to LGBT people, and wants taxpayer money to pay for gay conversion therapy, the despicable attempt to force a child or young adult to reverse their sexual orientation or gender identity, often to satisfy the religious superstition and bigotry of ignorant parents.

As reported by PolitiFact, during his first successful run for Congress in 2000, Pence advocated for government funding of gay conversion therapy on his campaign website, under a section called Strengthening the American Family:

Resources should be directed toward those institutions which provide assistance to those seeking to change their sexual behavior.
In other words, Pence wants taxpayers to pay for what many rational observers believe is child abuse.

HIV Outbreak

In addition to believing taxpayers should fund the cruel and immoral practice of gay conversion therapy, in 2015, as Governor of Indiana, Pence allowed an HIV outbreak to spread, choosing prayer over a clean needle exchange.

As an HIV outbreak exploded in a rural county of Indiana, for several months Governor Pence refused to allow a clean needle exchange, despite desperate pleas from local, state and federal health officials urging the governor to allow clean needles to be distributed to slow the outbreak.

Pence could have easily prevented or mitigated a great deal of human suffering; instead, he failed to act in a timely fashion, and citizens suffered.

Anti-Women

Pence is anti-women. Pence supports so-called personhood bills that would criminalize abortion nationwide. In addition, Right Wing Watch reports Pence has spearheaded congressional efforts to defund Planned Parenthood, even if it meant shutting down the government; signed anti-abortion measures into law in Indiana; and rallied opposition to President Obama’s effort to roll back prohibitions on stem-cell research.

In addition, Pence promises an end to safe and legal abortion if Trump is elected. Pence claims Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion, will be overturned if Donald Trump is elected president. And he might be right, if Trump is elected he will be appointing the next Supreme Court justices.

Condoms

But perhaps one of the most dangerous and idiotic claims made by Pence concerns the use of condoms. In an interview with CNN, while advocating for abstinence only sex education, Pence said that condoms are too “modern,” too “liberal,” and offer a poor defense against sexually transmitted infections and diseases.

By disseminating false and misleading information about condoms, Pence demonstrates that he is willing to endanger the health and welfare of young people in order to promote his demented, right-wing, conservative Christian, puritanical agenda.

Bottom Line

Vice President Mike Pence is an anti-science, anti-women, anti-LGBT, radical religious extremist, a cold, cruel, Christian extremist. If given the chance, he would turn the U.S. into a Christian theocracy.

Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2016/10/mike-pence-promotes-christian-theocracy/#CE5TzsjKeFbfzZeT.99

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2016/10/mike-pence-promotes-christian-theocracy/

PeterSibley
10-08-2017, 12:47 AM
He would turn the US into "Christian"version of Iran. He makes Trump look good !

Glen Longino
10-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Pence is a Dominionist, another word for Anti Constitutionalist, and the Reds love him.
He is evil incarnate. He wants his God to rule the world, and he wants to interpret for us his God's wishes.
Somebody get a damn rope!

skuthorp
10-08-2017, 01:47 AM
I think he'd be very resistant if god interfered at all, but he's on safe ground if precedent is a guide.

They do say we get the politicians we deserve, but with 40% no show do the rest deserve your pair?

Glen Longino
10-08-2017, 02:11 AM
Howdy, Jeff!
I'm near the end of my lifetime and ready to let the rest live in the world they make for themselves, my children and grandchildren included. They are all Dominionist Evangelical Christians. This is Texas after all!
Recently my youngest grandson, twelve, asked me if I believed in Noah's ark. I said no.
He ran to his mother wide-eyed and said Mom, grandpa does not believe in Noah's ark.
She told him don't pay any attention to grandpa!
I'm inconsequential in this world and happily so.:)

skuthorp
10-08-2017, 02:15 AM
"I'm near the end of my lifetime……..."
Say it isn't so Glen, say it isn't so!

You are one of the sane ones.

Your grandchildren will likely not have as good a lives as you have had.

Glen Longino
10-08-2017, 02:32 AM
:)I'm not on the fast train out of here, but I am living out the last 5% of my time.
We sane ones bite the dust as surely as the mad.
I wish the best for those who do everything in their power to create the worst.
Call me a Humanitarian!:)

Ian McColgin
10-08-2017, 04:40 AM
Glen, your charitable wisdom awes me.

Glen Longino
10-08-2017, 05:20 AM
Glen, your charitable wisdom awes me.

:) It's a character flaw, Ian!:)
I've always lived my life to serve others.
I should have died a number of times saving someone and myself at the same time when I was young.
But I was lucky and they were lucky I was there. Helpless and hopeless people have always brought out the best in me.
I've been especially lucky not to have killed people when maybe I should have and legally could have. Pure luck that I never had to pull the trigger before they quit, and they quit before they killed me.
I've never seen a man or woman or dog or cat that I would not risk my life for.
Don't get me wrong, I've been pushed to my limits a few times and thought I would surely die, but I did not. Pure luck!

skuthorp
10-08-2017, 06:45 AM
I've told before of making the decision never to have children when I was 11,
Still far and away the best decision I ever made in my life. I finally have something to thank my peers at school for……….Y>

SMARTINSEN
10-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Pence is closely associated with Manafort.

Manafort is closely associated with Ukrainian mobsters.

Ukrainian mobsters are closely associated with Putin.

Connect the dots.

CWSmith
10-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Pence is closely associated with Manafort.

This is news to me. Maybe there is hope that he will be caught up in the same net with his boss.

SMARTINSEN
10-08-2017, 11:29 AM
This is news to me. Maybe there is hope that he will be caught up in the same net with his boss.

http://billmoyers.com/story/enabling-dangerous-president-pence/

CWSmith
10-08-2017, 11:37 AM
http://billmoyers.com/story/enabling-dangerous-president-pence/

Interesting, and I agree he is dangerous, but it makes no connection to Manafort.

Right now, I see Mueller making this guy POTUS.

Durnik
10-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Against Pence - everything. For Pence, well, he is breathing.

Recently my youngest grandson, twelve, asked me if I believed in Noah's ark. I said no.

Had a neighbor bring his g-kid over the other day. Talking with the boy, I mentioned I was going hiking the next (Sun) day.. His eyes got reeeeaaaal big - "aren't you going to church?" The indoctrination of our youth has damned us all.
Keep on Keepin' On, Glen(n) © bobbys (where in all heck is that boy!) I'm just spendin' my time having as much fun as I can!

LeeG
10-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Speaking of cheap political theater. Pence left Colts game today supposedly because of kneeling players. Except he was slated to be in California fundraiser at Newport Beach that evening.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VP/status/917074120084516865

https://mobile.twitter.com/SarahLSmith677/status/917081369435656192

Vice President Pence
Vice President Pence @VP
·
1h
I left today's Colts game because @POTUS and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem.

CWSmith
10-08-2017, 01:31 PM
I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem.

Except that is not what they are doing. If he had any integrity, he would argue the facts and not this trivial misrepresentation.

LeeG
10-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Except that is not what they are doing. If he had any integrity, he would argue the facts and not this trivial misrepresentation.

Not trivial, it's intentional so as to connect to Trumps base. "Our" anthem disrespected by "those" people.

LeeG
10-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Speaking of cheap political theater. Pence left Colts game today supposedly because of kneeling players. Except he was slated to be in California fundraiser at Newport Beach that evening.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VP/status/917074120084516865

https://mobile.twitter.com/SarahLSmith677/status/917081369435656192

Vice President Pence
Vice President Pence @VP
·
1h
I left today's Colts game because @POTUS and I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem.

Think about this. Pence flew to Indiana just to perform a political stunt.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/08/politics/vice-president-mike-pence-nfl-protest/index.html

The pool of journalists accompanying the vice president was not allowed into the stadium and was asked to stay in their vans. They were told by a staffer that "there may be an early departure from the game," but were not given any further details.
Some criticized Trump and Pence for the walkout, with Hawaii Democratic Sen. Brian Schatz tweeting, "Wait. This was orchestrated to make a point? That's not an inexpensive thing to do."

mdh
10-08-2017, 02:42 PM
I remember somebody posting the OP here about a year ago, then he got elected.

PeterSibley
10-08-2017, 03:14 PM
I remember somebody posting the OP here about a year ago, then he got elected.

So you think Americans want a theocracy ?

Ian McColgin
10-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Ha! I didn't even note the year on the dateline.

I've regarded Pence as the sort of rightwing Christian supremacist I most abhor ever since I first checked him out. The sort of "christian" I abhorred when I was in theology school. And while the theology is not mine, I respect the real evangelical, the good news, the message of love, the people who actually do justice and compassion. These righties who are so anti-christian that they can support a godless profanity like Trump are all about hatred and evil.

Anyway, I've a lifetime of opposing hateful zealots like Pence, I certainly recognized him for what he is right off, and maybe I was the one that posted this very piece, or one like it, a year ago.

skuthorp
10-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Why do you think Donald picked him? Insurance.

Rich Jones
10-08-2017, 03:48 PM
Think about this. Pence flew to Indiana just to perform a political stunt.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/08/politics/vice-president-mike-pence-nfl-protest/index.html

The pool of journalists accompanying the vice president was not allowed into the stadium and was asked to stay in their vans. They were told by a staffer that "there may be an early departure from the game," but were not given any further details.
Some criticized Trump and Pence for the walkout, with Hawaii Democratic Sen. Brian Schatz tweeting, "Wait. This was orchestrated to make a point? That's not an inexpensive thing to do."
Yep. He wasted taxpayer money to divert to the game with no intention of staying. Anyone with half a brain saw this as a not-so-cheap political stunt. But wait.... he was doing this for the sake of Trump voters, the very people with only half a brain!

David G
10-08-2017, 07:39 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22228087_1634288766641973_2941323658128660943_n.pn g?oh=8204af03e39e8fd450d05acd5696bcfe&oe=5A44EED2

PeterSibley
10-08-2017, 08:07 PM

CWSmith
10-08-2017, 08:20 PM
"When serving as a congressman, Pence made it clear that he opposes evolution, and believes that only creationism (intelligent design) provides a “rational explanation for the known universe.”

This is the thing that bothers me at a whole different level. He is invoking "rational explanation", but what he really means is faith. He doesn't know the difference. He is applying Biblical teaching as though it were science and seems not to know the difference. That's nuts!

dskira
10-09-2017, 01:59 AM
When the vice president left the game because some players kneel, he remind me a head of state in the Summer Olympic who left the game in 1936 because he didn't like who the winner was !
Same set of mind.
Pence have no clue how to separate sporting even from is own delusional religion and twisted patriotism.
As for the player kneeling, well what is the problem? Player are not an army marching in front of the great leader as far as I know.
I have a news for the Pence: we are a democracy and we are paying your salary. Yes Pence, the players also make your life possible. Like it or not.

PeterSibley
10-09-2017, 03:02 AM
Pence just did media Tweet stunt at the stadium. Just another politician.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/mike-pence-indianapolis-colts-game-49ers-national-anthem-stunt-2017-10?r=US&IR=T
Vice President Mike Pence said he left an NFL game between the Indianapolis Colts and the San Francisco 49ers early on Sunday because some of the players knelt during the national anthem.

“I will not dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag, or our National Anthem,” Pence said in a statement, reviving what has been a subject of angst for President Donald Trump (http://www.businessinsider.com.au/trump-nfl-change-national-anthem-protests-ratings-2017-9) in recent weeks.

Some people, however, were not convinced, and quickly suggested the vice president pulled a stunt at the behest of Trump. The president seemed to confirm as much in a tweet shortly after Pence announced that he walked out:

Speculation that Pence’s protest was pre-planned grew after it was revealed that he flew from Las Vegas to Indianapolis for the game, only to fly back west to Los Angeles on Sunday. Members of the press pool travelling with Pence in Indiana were reportedly told to wait (https://twitter.com/AmandaBecker/status/917095432832143360) in vans because Pence might leave the game early.
The Indianapolis Star also noted (http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/10/08/vice-president-mike-pence-colts-national-anthem-protest/744447001/) the swiftness with which the White House amplified Pence’s walkout, complete with an official press release and a photo of Pence standing with his wife, Karen, hands over their hearts, during the national anthem.

The news outlet also noted some inconsistencies surrounding Pence’s tweets about Sunday’s game. At 8:27 a.m., Pence tweeted (https://twitter.com/VP/status/917048886975500289) a picture of himself dressed in a Colts-branded polo shirt and hat along with Karen, saying “Looking forward to cheering for our @Colts & honouring the great career of #18 Peyton Manning at @LucasOilStadium today. Go Colts!”

LeeG
10-09-2017, 08:32 AM
A million dollar stunt to reinforce a false narrative.

cglynn
10-09-2017, 08:39 AM
So Trump/Pence call Nazis fine people, but walk out of a football game when black people kneel during the national anthem to protest mistreatment of their communities by government and law enforcement? Hypocrites? Racists? Both?

Rigadog
10-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Choosing Pence was a brilliant move. It makes you think twice about pulling the plug on Trumpy.

Rigadog
10-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Pence and T- rump - what a grotesque duo