PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Adagio as promised

Paul Frederiksen
08-05-2001, 10:44 PM
You can view my personal webpage with pictures of Adagio at

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/wilicyote

Scroll to the bottom of the pages for links to the rest of the pictures.

I am going on a camping vacation devoid of any internet access (how will I survive) so any questions will have to wait until I return in about a week.

Yeah, I know, my scanner sucks.

Enjoy

Paul Frederiksen

[This message has been edited by Paul Frederiksen (edited 08-06-2001).]

Ed Harrow
08-05-2001, 10:54 PM
Hey, now, I wouldn't say that. The boat's nice, too. Are you camping on Adagio?

Have a good time. We'll leave the light on for you and try not to have any philosophical/political brewhas while you're away.

Paul Frederiksen
08-06-2001, 12:47 AM
I am on a twelve step program for philosophical/political discussions, please don't tempt me.

There are now about nine pages of pics on my page instead of just two. Just got back the rest of my pictures.

See ya,

Mike Field
08-06-2001, 04:38 AM
Well, I'd say what a nice-looking boat you've put together there, Paul, but seeing you're not here to read it, I won't bother.

Norm, I see Jordan's got an anchor warp out over the starboard quarter. Have you been giving the kid lessons, by any chance?

Andrew
08-06-2001, 09:57 AM
Nice boat. It must be like giving birth. I was really confused at how large the Eun Na Mara appeared until I saw in the caption that Jordan is only five.

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 08-06-2001).]

ken mcclure
08-06-2001, 11:01 AM
Oh great. Thanks, Paul. Now I'm DEFINITELY gonna be out working on the boat instead of working in the office.

How many words can I find that are synonyms with "beautiful?"

Pat yourself on the back for a GREAT accomplishment!

And MANY thanks for the pictures.

Nora Lee
08-06-2001, 11:05 AM
Lovely boat, want to see here under sail!

Nora

Mike DeHart
08-06-2001, 11:53 AM
Paul,
What a gorgeous boat! I only have one comment concerning your wanting to shorten the “gaff span.” It looks like a rope attached to two places on the gaff with the halyard block attached to it. Shortening this rope will make the resulting angle wider and, in turn, dramatically increase the stress that the line will see. I think this could be a good candidate for failure under load. My sailing experience is very limited, but I believe that I have seen a setup similar to yours, but very different. What I saw was a double block at the top of the mast, a single block at the gaff end, and another single block toward the middle of the gaff. The halyard went up the mast, over one sheave, out to the gaff end block, back over the other sheave, out to the mid block, and back to the mast block eye.

That single line acting as a sling on the gaff would seriously concern me. The multiple block and halyard run looks much more reliable to me and would also allow the peak to be pulled up tighter with less problem from rope stretch. These are just some thoughts and may only be worth what you paid for them. Good luck with it.

dasboat
08-06-2001, 02:41 PM
How was the carquinez strait,and the shake down?
Dasboat

Paul Frederiksen
08-11-2001, 11:40 PM
Dasboat,

Great day on the straight. Wind in the afternoon was 15-25 knots and a bit gusty. Current was mild and not an issue. Adagio is over canvassed at 240 square feet on a 20 foot hull displacing only 2300 pounds, but she carried it all and only burried the rail when I wanted to see how far she would go. Hull speed is calculated to be 5.7 knots but I had her up to 6.3 on a beam reach, comfirmed with both knot meter and GPS. With just jib and mizzen up she did 4.8 knots. I am sure now that I need to beef up the rudder linkage and do something to get more peak tension in the main. Other than that she was a joy to sail. At one point I hove to with the jib backed and the mizzen hardened up tight. I let the main sheet fly and she sat right in the middle of the channel for twenty minutes without moving at all. If I had a galley I could have cooked dinner. Ian Oughtred has really impressed me with this balanced design.

Thanks again to all of you for your encouragement.

Mike Field
08-12-2001, 01:03 AM
That gaff span would traditionally have been wire anyway, for just the reason Mike mentions -- the high tensile forces developed in it. The lower block was connected to it using a "span shackle," which had a long (maybe 2") curved metal slide which did just that along the wire to equalise the pull.

You can still get a span shackle if you know who to ask, but your average chandler will look blank if you ask him for one, and stay looking blank even after you describe it to him.

Here's what they look like --

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1231924&a=10671402&p=52825819

NormMessinger
08-12-2001, 09:23 AM
The only place I've seen span shackles is in the Classic Marine catalouge ( www.classicmarine.co.uk (http://www.classicmarine.co.uk) ) which I think you have, Paul.

If your shirts no longer fit, you are justified. Most satisfactory. Yes, if you need a size larger hat, that is understandable too.

Best.

--Norm

TomRobb
08-12-2001, 10:31 AM
Very pretty boat and nice work http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/cool.gif
One question: The rudder pintles don't appear to be in a straight line, so don't they bind up?

[This message has been edited by TomRobb (edited 08-12-2001).]

Paul Frederiksen
08-12-2001, 12:06 PM
Mike and Mike,

You are both right in that the gaff span is unsatisfactory. I have the wire and am going to switch to that as it will not stretch and is much stronger. The gaff span shakle pictured is available from Classic Marine and I think Bristol Bronze has one too. I am limited in the total amount of space I have to work with between the mast and the gaff as the gaff is peaked very high (about 28 degrees from vertical). A strange anomoly in Ian Oughtreds plans is that on the sail plan the dimensions he gives for his sails does not produce the shape of sail he has drawn in the plans. I checked it three times and finally worked the numbers out myself and sure enough it results in a higher peaked gaff than is drawn on the sail plan. This is not too upsetting to me as it is good for upwind performance and is not so high as to look wrong. But it does leave me with a bit less room to work with for halyard tackle. I could go with the circle route tackle as Mike DeHart has suggested but that requires a LOT of rope which becomes cumbersome on such a small boat.

Norm, there are just enough mistakes to ensure that my hat still fits as normal. I had two gallons of water in bilge after the first run and one gallon after the secone day of sailing. (leaky center board case at the pivot bolt).

Tom, the rudder pintles are not aligned and would bind up in traditional grudgions. For this reasons I used large stainless steel eyebolts which, due to their circular shape allow for the pintles to not be aligned and still not bind. I stole the idea from a beautiful boat pictured in Rebecca Whitmans Yacht finishing book which has the same arrangement on a curved sternpost. The only other alternative was to dramatically relieve either the sternpost or the rudder to allow the angles to be aligned on each. This is what the plans call for but I think it looks tacky and poorly thought out.

Mike Field
08-12-2001, 08:30 PM
Paul, I hadn't properly twigged about those stainless eyebolts. You might perhaps want to consider replacing them in bronze before too long, in case they have a mind to develop crevice corrosion.

I don't think I really added my congratulations yet, either, but that's one very nice-looking boat you've got there. I hope you're pretty proud of yourself.

John B
08-12-2001, 08:59 PM
I made my gaff span out of spectra core so I could adjust it easily to find the best position. Now that it's found I can make a wire span when it suits. That is about 60% of the head for 1 end and about 90-95% for the other end. Stands well and keeps a relatively light gaff straight in most breezes.

Lovely boat. congratulations.

Paul Frederiksen
08-12-2001, 10:42 PM
Spectra is a great idea as it has almost no elongation and is super strong. I have a piece which is like 4000 pound test.

Thanks for the tip.

John B
08-12-2001, 11:21 PM
You know the trick with spectra where you pass the end into the "centre" of the line to create a splice? works like one of those towropes where the tension on the line generates the grab to hold the loop.
easy to adjust... you need to ensure that the end can't slip when there is no load on it.

Paul
08-13-2001, 07:54 AM
Paul, thanks for sharing....she is very, very lovely indeed. You did a great job. I am envious.

htom
08-13-2001, 01:09 PM
Wow! Great job, Paul, on both Adagio and the website.