PDA

View Full Version : Are Guns Addictive?

jack grebe
10-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Pretty simple question until you start to investigate.

http://ordinary-gentlemen.com/2013/01/02/gunaholics-anonymous/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/stevenkotler/2012/12/18/addicted-to-bang-the-neuroscience-of-the-gun/amp/

Rum_Pirate
10-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Gun-addiction screening:

Do you own more than 3 guns? NO
Do you own more than 5 guns? NO
Do you own more than 10 guns? NO
Do you feel suspicious of people in general, or uncomfortable around people who don’t own guns? NO
Have you ever thought of brandishing a gun to end an argument or confrontation? NO. Have thought of purchasing one, but decided not to do so.
Do you spend more than 5 hours a week on gun forums or reading about guns on the internet? NO, but 'The Bilge' has many gun threads, including this thread. :D
Do you stock pile more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition? NO
Do you feel your unsafe when you’re not carrying a gun? NO
Have you purchased guns for family members or loved ones even if they did not want one? NO
Do you always have to have the ‘latest’ in new gun technology? NO
Have you ever left a loaded and unlocked gun around you home or vehicle, just in case? NO
Do you spend more than $5,000/year on guns and ammunition? NO

If you answered ‘yes’ to 4 or more of these questions, you may have a gun addiction and pose a threat to your family or neighbors. The nearest chapter of GunAholics Anonymous (GAA), a 12-step program for helping gun addicts face their addictions can help.

Appears that I do not have a 'gun addiction' problem. :ycool:

How about you?

Nicholas Scheuer
10-05-2017, 11:07 AM
No more so than any other hobby involving some collecting. Do you realize how many cars Jay Leno owns? He's far from alone in the auto department. How many wooden boats do you own? Some people have a fleet. I own three guns and I'm far from a "gun nut".

jack grebe
10-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Appears that I do not have a 'gun addiction' problem. :ycool:

How about you?

My answers are the same as yours......

Nicholas Scheuer
10-05-2017, 11:08 AM
I also pown three boats, and currently strongly considering buying another

CWSmith
10-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Do you realize how many cars Jay Leno owns?

Cars don't run over people, people run over people.

That said, all his cars are registered, licensed and he has a license to use them. So, while he may be addicted to cars, he submits that addition to a degree of societal review that gun owners do not.

Also, he will have a hard time getting any of his cars to the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Resort Hotel.

Breakaway
10-05-2017, 11:22 AM
I'm not sure quantity is the best measure for addiction. I'd think the effect the activity was having on other aspects of the person's life would be a better barometer. Hence the " Questions" used by Alcoholics Anonymous.( I substituted, " gun collecting," for, " drinking.") AA states that if one answers , "yes," to one or more of these questions, then they MAY have a drinking ( gun collecting) problem.

Do you lose time from work due to gun collecting?

Is gun collecting making your home life unhappy?

Is gun collecting affecting your reputation?

Have you ever felt remorse after collecting guns?

Do you crave a gun at a definite time daily?

Do you want a gun the next morning?

Do you use guns alone?

Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of collecting guns?

Is collecting guns jeopardizing your job or your business?

Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of collecting guns?

Kevin

jack grebe
10-05-2017, 11:25 AM
I can answer NO to all of those also.

Canoeyawl
10-05-2017, 11:34 AM
I can answer NO to all of those also.

Maybe you are coming up "short" in the # 3 catagory...

Jim Bow
10-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Question 2: Is there an "Urge to shoot?"
Weve had a couple of cases up here in PNW where people randomly shot other people because they wanted to see what killing felt like.

Ted Hoppe
10-05-2017, 11:48 AM
We need to deep six the addiction for mass distruction before one of our loved ones get shot by another mad man.

http://www.arizonarifleman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/rifle_overboard1.jpg

Ted Hoppe
10-05-2017, 11:54 AM
WTF with sound suppressors and silencers?
Anybody who carries one of those should get 10 years to life as they are intended to kill unsuspecting people while limiting or. alerting others to the weapon being fired. No moral justification for personal use.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/546d1ac5eab8eafa08e8f0ae-480/suppressors-silencers-guns.jpg

Keith Wilson
10-05-2017, 11:56 AM
I have never fired a gun in my life, and I hope to get to my grave without ever having done so.

CWSmith
10-05-2017, 11:58 AM
I have never fired a gun in my life, and I hope to get to my grave without ever having done so.

ditto - I have no desire at all.

jack grebe
10-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Maybe you are coming up "short" in the # 3 catagory...

I don't "collect" guns, therefore no issues to my reputation by doing so.

Ted Hoppe
10-05-2017, 12:43 PM
I have a problem with regular citizens who actively seek to carry guns on their person. Those who get permits to carry break the compact of living in a safe community. The only reason one would carry a gun would be to shoot someone else. By regular folks carrying a concealed or open carry gun, increases the chances criminals need to carry one. There is no detant when multiple parties decide to carry as a way of personal enforcement of power thus restricting my right to life, liberty and property do to the fact I chose not to have one.

CWSmith
10-05-2017, 12:48 PM
^ I'll double down on that. All those arguments are made worse by close urban life.

Phillip Allen
10-05-2017, 12:51 PM
WTF with sound suppressors and silencers?
Anybody who carries one of those should get 10 years to life as they are intended to kill unsuspecting people while limiting or. alerting others to the weapon being fired. No moral justification for personal use.

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/546d1ac5eab8eafa08e8f0ae-480/suppressors-silencers-guns.jpg

I don't suppose you saw the pic of spinner with her suppressed rifle hunting moose... you arrest her

Phillip Allen
10-05-2017, 12:52 PM

and thus, you speak with such authority?

Peerie Maa
10-05-2017, 01:00 PM

I used to own and have fired a shotgun. A double barrelled back action hammer gun. Then the storage requirements were tightened up so I handed it in.
I filled the gap in the rack with another percussion lock, a military carbine.

CWSmith
10-05-2017, 01:01 PM
and thus, you speak with such authority?

Was Keith speaking as an authority on gun ownership? I must have missed that.

I thought he was speaking as someone who has to live in a world where too many people have to grab their penis (I mean gun) on such a regular basis that they can't be away from it. Maybe I misunderstood.

Phillip, should gun laws be decided only by avid gun owners, or do we all have a right to voice an opinion?

Phillip Allen
10-05-2017, 01:03 PM

I thought he was speaking as someone who has to live in a world where too many people have to grab their penis (I mean gun) on such a regular basis that they can't be away from it. Maybe I misunderstood.

Phillip, should gun laws be decided only by avid gun owners, or do we all have a right to voice an opinion?

following that line of thought... outlaw booze again

Ted Hoppe
10-05-2017, 01:18 PM
I don't suppose you saw the pic of spinner with her suppressed rifle hunting moose... you arrest her

Having met her....Maybe I would. BY:D

Knowing she she lives in Alaska with numerous dangerous felons who leave the mainland do to dangerous pasts maybe she is right to have a gun for self protection.

CWSmith
10-05-2017, 01:18 PM
following that line of thought... outlaw booze again

Sorry, Phillip, but your logic is flawed. We all have the right to vote on whether booze should be legal and we proved that once. I asked you if we all have the right to vote on whether guns should be legal and you have dodged the question.

Phillip Allen
10-05-2017, 01:19 PM

think about this

As if you'd know, not that that ever stops you blathering on. Also, wrong on both accounts. Safer and reduces travel times for all motorists.

CWSmith
10-05-2017, 01:53 PM
think about this

No. Answer the question.

CWSmith
10-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Don't start a cryptic new thread.

Answer the question, Phillip.

skuthorp
10-05-2017, 03:10 PM
You are expecting morals where no morals apply CWSmith.

CWSmith
10-05-2017, 03:20 PM
You are expecting morals where no morals apply CWSmith.

Oh, well. The question was simple enough. I cannot imagine any American answering it in any but one way. For that matter, add Australians, British, Germans, French, Italians, any nation that is a democracy.

jack grebe
10-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Sorry, Phillip, but your logic is flawed. We all have the right to vote on whether booze should be legal and we proved that once. I asked you if we all have the right to vote on whether guns should be legal and you have dodged the question.

Let me take a stab at that question......

Yes and NO

Yes in the context that you have the right to vote for the candidates
that best represent your views and convictions. At the local level,
restrictive laws are the best you can hope for.

On the federal level, it is again up to those you vote into office
To repeal the 2nd before any ban can be implemented....

I don't see that happening in my lifetime. YMMV

Nicholas Scheuer
10-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Attitudes, gentlemen, attitudes. Changing them is the only way to reduce the bloodshed. Eliminating guns, except POSSIBLY assault rifles, is futile. Time to face reality.

Nicholas Scheuer
10-05-2017, 04:17 PM
How'bout this for a challenge; don't argue to take away peoples guns; argue to persuade gun owners to WANT to get rid of them.

Ted Hoppe
10-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Who wants a gun... I want an arrow that is controlled by a whistle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTwuDi49uA

WX
10-05-2017, 05:30 PM
I owned a rifle about 40 years ago. I would like to fire a Lee Enfield 303 but I don't want to own one.

SKIP KILPATRICK
11-27-2017, 03:46 PM
The FBI received more than 203,000 requests for background checks on gun purchases on Black Friday, the agency said in an email, a record for one day. Indeed, Black Friday is becoming a popular day to buy guns, given the FBI's previous record-setting days for background checks on firearms purchases were set on Black Friday in 2016 and 2015.

Gerarddm
11-27-2017, 04:08 PM
IIRC, the surge in gun sales has come mainly from prior gun owners simply buying more and more and more. Sounds at least quasi-addictive to me.