PDA

View Full Version : NRA Country Lifestyle

Jim Bow
10-03-2017, 11:42 AM
https://www.nracountry.com/artists

CWSmith
10-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Wow. I recognize 4 of them and only like 2. I doubt I'm missing much.

Flying Orca
10-03-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm extraordinarily pleased to announce that I have only heard of two of them, and don't like either.

CWSmith
10-03-2017, 11:59 AM
^ Well, "like" is a strong word. I can listen to 2 of them and not throw up, but my IQ does drop a bit each time. :)

moTthediesel
10-03-2017, 12:24 PM
Don't know about their melodies, but surely, not a lot of melanin.

LeeG
10-03-2017, 12:28 PM
So what about NRA Rock and Roll, NRA Marching Bands or my favorite NRA Pole Dancers?

Mission:
NRA Country is a celebration of American values. Respect. Honor. Freedom. It's a lifestyle and a bond between the best and brightest in country music and hard-working Americans. NRA Country is powered by pride, love of country, respect for the military, and our responsibility to protect our great American lifestyle. NRA Country celebrates these values with concerts and events benefiting military and veteran services organizations, first responders, conservation organizations, firearm safety programs, and local charities making a difference in their communities. NRA Country will be involved in causes that defend our values and it will empower our artist friends who promote these values to encourage our next generation of leaders.

Flying Orca
10-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Mission:

NRA Country is a celebration of American values. Respect. Honor. Freedom. It's a lifestyle and a bond between the best and brightest in country music and hard-working Americans. NRA Country is powered by pride, love of country, respect for the military, and our responsibility to protect our great American lifestyle. NRA Country celebrates these values with concerts and events benefiting military and veteran services organizations, first responders, conservation organizations, firearm safety programs, and local charities making a difference in their communities. NRA Country will be involved in causes that defend our values and it will empower our artist friends who promote these values to encourage our next generation of leaders.

This would appear to be appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTKR12cUqc

mmd
10-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Yeah, quite a collection of palefaces...

BrianY
10-03-2017, 01:02 PM
And not a minority on the list....interesting.

I never knew there was "Country rap" music genre. I dislike 99.8% of country music and 96.3% of rap music so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna dislike 100% of country rap

Flying Orca
10-03-2017, 01:14 PM
I never knew there was "Country rap" music genre. I dislike 99.8% of country music and 96.3% of rap music so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna dislike 100% of country rap

Mathematically speaking, you might like 0.0074% of it... :p

Rich Jones
10-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Country music as I know it is dead. Died about 20 years ago. Once in a blue moon, someone will come out with something worth hearing, but it's 99% rock nowadays.
Jason Aldin, the singer on stage at the time of the shooting, isn't on the NRA artist list and, after last night, probably won't be.

Keith Wilson
10-03-2017, 01:23 PM
I've only heard of one of them, but I almost never listen to commercial country music voluntarily.

ron ll
10-03-2017, 04:04 PM
They are usually quite late to the fashion party. Are they wearing their hats backwards yet?

phiil
10-03-2017, 04:36 PM
Funny but none of them ever shows up on the local NPR station..

Todd D
10-03-2017, 05:08 PM
I am proud that I have neither heard or heard of any of them. Of course I have detested "country" music all my life and never listen to it.

S.V. Airlie
10-03-2017, 05:12 PM
I am proud that I have neither heard or heard of any of them. Of course I have detested "country" music all my life and never listen to it.DITTO although I don't detest Country music just don't listen to it! It's always songs about some girlfriend running off with my best friend or something similar!

Flying Orca
10-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Depending on the definition, there is some outstanding country music out there. Lyle Lovett and Lucinda Williams probably top the lot, for me, along with Emmylou Harris... but the likes of Ryan Adams, Steve Earle, Jason Isbell, Alison Krauss, and - ranging into alt.country - Son Volt and the Bottle Rockets are also amazing artists. And don't get me started on the great bluegrass instrumentalists!

Glen Longino
10-03-2017, 05:27 PM
https://youtu.be/hhkHG-oKCEU

CWSmith
10-03-2017, 05:29 PM
I am forever thankful that country music finally released the strangle hold of honky-tonk. I hated that stuff. It created the stereotype of country music that we all know so well.

If you search the border between country and folk or country and bluegrass (which really is part of country) you can find some great stuff. But if they have to wear cowboy hats to be accepted, it's just country and nothing very interesting.

C. Ross
10-03-2017, 05:34 PM
I like some music that others don't, so I ain't gonna judge.

The description of NRA Country sounds pretty good. I can get behind a whole bunch of what they're honoring.

The NRA's stance on guns is beyond indefensible into suicidally toxic.

And I always wonder about the dog whistles. What exactly is "our responsibility to protect our great American lifestyle?" It's like a great big coloring book, and anyone at NRA Country can use any color they like! As long as its white.

Flying Orca
10-03-2017, 07:51 PM
That's a mighty short list.

There should be some Townes Van Zandt and Guy Clark in there, among others.

Love them both; I tend to think of them more as singer-songwriters than country music guys, but you're right.

The list is short because I was heading out for dinner. :D

CWSmith
10-03-2017, 08:00 PM
I like the folk side of country:
Nancy Griffith
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Reba MacIntire (more ballads than folk)
Kathy Mattea

And I like Toby Keith, although I hate his politics.