PDA

View Full Version : Manning NOT a Harvard Fellow

Ian McColgin
09-15-2017, 07:08 AM
[IMc - Really could not resist a terrible pun at her transgender status but the issue is serious.]

Published on Friday, September 15, 2017, by Common Dreams

Caving to CIA, Which Literally Assassinates People, Harvard Rescinds Manning Fellowship
"This is what a military/police/intel state looks like," says whistleblower after prestigious university succumbs to threats from Central Intelligence Agency

by Jon Queally, staff writer

In a move called "moral cowardice" and in the wake of objections from the current and a former head of the CIA—an agency that has assassinated people, helped overthrow democratic governments, and sowed chaos throughout the world as the U.S. government's clandestine enforcer—Harvard University overnight rescinded a fellowship invitation to Chelsea Manning, an Army whistleblower who exposed U.S. war crimes in Iraq and spent more than seven years in prison for her decision to release classified military and State Department documents to the press.

"How cowardly to be bullied by the CIA like this," declared Trevor Timm, executive director of the Freedom of the Press Foundation, in response to Harvard's decision.

And Manning herself was quick to speak out:

(from twitter)
honored to be 1st disinvited trans woman visiting @harvard fellow 😌 they chill marginalized voices under @cia pressure
this is what a military/police/intel state looks like 🕵️🕵️*♀️ the @cia determines what is and is not taught at @harvard

The decision to disinvite Manning from the fellowship, came after CIA Director Mike Pompeo withdrew from a speaking engagement at the university on Thursday night and former director agency chief Michael Morrell resigned as a Harvard senior fellow, also in protest.

Ian McColgin
09-15-2017, 07:10 AM
[IMc - Just to drive hom exactly how craven this move by Harvard is, here in full is the official bit of mealy mouthed offal.]

September 15, 2017
Statement from Douglas W. Elmendorf, Dean of Harvard Kennedy School, regarding the School’s invitation to Chelsea Manning to be a Visiting Fellow

On Wednesday, the Institute of Politics at Harvard Kennedy School announced that Chelsea Manning would be one of roughly ten visiting fellows this fall. We invited Chelsea Manning because the Kennedy School’s longstanding approach to visiting speakers is to invite some people who have significantly influenced events in the world even if they do not share our values and even if their actions or words are abhorrent to some members of our community. We do this not to endorse those actions or legitimize those words, but because engaging with people with fundamentally different worldviews can help us to become better public leaders. Because controversy pervades many questions in politics and public policy, some speakers are controversial. While we do not shy away from that controversy, we insist that all speakers take questions, and these questions are often hard and challenging ones. Hearing a very wide range of views, regardless of what members of our community think about the people offering those views, is fundamental to the learning process at the Kennedy School.

Some visitors to the Kennedy School are invited for just a few hours to give a talk in the School’s Forum or in one of our lecture halls or seminar rooms; other visitors stay for a full day, a few days, a semester, or longer. Among the visitors who stay more than a few hours, some are designated as “Visiting Fellows,” “Resident Fellows,” “Nonresident Fellows,” and the like. At any point in time, the Kennedy School has hundreds of fellows playing many different roles at the School. In general across the School, we do not view the title of “Fellow” as conveying a special honor; rather, it is a way to describe some people who spend more than a few hours at the School.

We invited Chelsea Manning to spend a day at the Kennedy School. Specifically, we invited her to meet with students and others who are interested in talking with her, and then to give remarks in the Forum where the audience would have ample opportunity—as with all of our speakers—to ask hard questions and challenge what she has said and done. On that basis, we also named Chelsea Manning a Visiting Fellow. We did not intend to honor her in any way or to endorse any of her words or deeds, as we do not honor or endorse any Fellow.

However, I now think that designating Chelsea Manning as a Visiting Fellow was a mistake, for which I accept responsibility. I still think that having her speak in the Forum and talk with students is consistent with our longstanding approach, which puts great emphasis on the value of hearing from a diverse collection of people. But I see more clearly now that many people view a Visiting Fellow title as an honorific, so we should weigh that consideration when offering invitations. In particular, I think we should weigh, for each potential visitor, what members of the Kennedy School community could learn from that person’s visit against the extent to which that person’s conduct fulfills the values of public service to which we aspire. This balance is not always easy to determine, and reasonable people can disagree about where to strike the balance for specific people. Any determination should start with the presumption that more speech is better than less. In retrospect, though, I think my assessment of that balance for Chelsea Manning was wrong. Therefore, we are withdrawing the invitation to her to serve as a Visiting Fellow—and the perceived honor that it implies to some people—while maintaining the invitation for her to spend a day at the Kennedy School and speak in the Forum. I apologize to her and to the many concerned people from whom I have heard today for not recognizing upfront the full implications of our original invitation. This decision now is not intended as a compromise between competing interest groups but as the correct way for the Kennedy School to emphasize its longstanding approach to visiting speakers while recognizing that the title of Visiting Fellow implies a certain recognition.

skuthorp
09-15-2017, 07:17 AM
It's the CIA stamping it's collective foot in a temper tantrum and taking it's bat and ball and going home.
https://comps.canstockphoto.com/can-stock-photo_csp26768545.jpg

cbcc
09-15-2017, 07:45 AM
It's the height of irony that "she" is no longer a "fellow" at Harvard.

CWSmith
09-15-2017, 08:11 AM
We invited Chelsea Manning because the Kennedy School’s longstanding approach to visiting speakers is to invite some people who have significantly influenced events in the world even if they do not share our values and even if their actions or words are abhorrent to some members of our community.

I can't say that I see the justification for the offer, but the cowardice in rescinding it is undeniable.

oznabrag
09-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Just another blow at the foundations of our institutions by the Trump Toady to Totalitarianism.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Tom Hunter
09-15-2017, 09:10 AM
I think the dean was overly excited by the PR value of inviting Manning and acted without thinking things through.

In the Harvard bubble Manning looks brave. Most of the reason for that is because of the awful unjust treatment she received in prison. People often compare Manning and Snowden.

From that point of view the release of classified documents and other criminal activity was a long time ago.

The reality is Manning released a lot of classified information without thinking about it. That is a crime, and it was malicious and purposeful. Unlike Snowden Manning was not really making a case about NSA.

Harvard made a mistake and got called on it. Next time maybe they will think harder.

Jim Mahan
09-15-2017, 09:55 AM
There seems to be a point missing here. The invitation was not rescinded. The designation of Visiting Fellow got rescinded, and the invitation to meet students, and speak and answer questions in the Forum at the Kennedy School, just exactly as before the change.

...my assessment of that balance for Chelsea Manning was wrong. Therefore, we are withdrawing the invitation to her to serve as a Visiting Fellow—and the perceived honor that it implies to some people—while maintaining the invitation for her to spend a day at the Kennedy School and speak in the Forum.

Given that, and
On Wednesday, the Institute of Politics at Harvard Kennedy School announced that Chelsea Manning would be one of roughly ten visiting fellows this fall. We invited Chelsea Manning because the Kennedy School’s longstanding approach to visiting speakers is to invite some people who have significantly influenced events in the world even if they do not share our values and even if their actions or words are abhorrent to some members of our community. We do this not to endorse those actions or legitimize those words, but because engaging with people with fundamentally different worldviews can help us to become better public leaders. Because controversy pervades many questions in politics and public policy, some speakers are controversial. While we do not shy away from that controversy, we insist that all speakers take questions, and these questions are often hard and challenging ones. Hearing a very wide range of views, regardless of what members of our community think about the people offering those views, is fundamental to the learning process at the Kennedy School.

it seems to me that M. Manning and the CIA are the ones being pissy over not much. What am I missing?

Ian McColgin
09-15-2017, 10:28 AM
"The invitation was not rescinded. The designation of Visiting Fellow got rescinded," [#8]

As the tread title says, and at longer wind, so said the dean.

"Therefore, we are withdrawing the invitation to her to serve as a Visiting Fellow—and the perceived honor that it implies to some people—while maintaining the invitation for her to spend a day at the Kennedy School and speak in the Forum." [#2]

When one thinks of the array of scrofulous and objectionable (from left or right and sometimes both) parade of 'Fellows', it becomes clear that this is nothing more than bowing to the CIA, which remains as ever a grand place for the adventurous ivy alum.

rbgarr
09-15-2017, 10:46 AM
Spicer, Lewandowsky, Kelly Anne Conway, Joe Scarborough, Mika Brezinski (sp?) and Bannon, among others have been invited to speak or have spoken at Harvard during the last few months and years. It's common to have a range of speakers, particularly at the Institute of Politics.

Gerarddm
09-15-2017, 12:13 PM
As Bill Maher has so archly pointed out, 'free speech', a concept for which they rioted at Berkeley in the 60s, is under fire from left and right alike. Troubled times.

Gerarddm
09-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Andrew Sullivan's interesting take; second and third parts of three part essay this week:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/09/yes-im-dependent-on-weed.html

Chip-skiff
09-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Hmmm. I thought the top spooks all went to Yale.

BrianW
09-15-2017, 09:16 PM
Man, I honestly could not care less. I hope she rots away and receives no more publicity.

Iceboy
09-18-2017, 01:41 PM
What he said. Traitor should be rotting in Leavenworth.

Man, I honestly could not care less. I hope she rots away and receives no more publicity.