PDA

View Full Version : Golant Gaffer

SEAKB
09-09-2017, 02:48 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm retired and a newbie to this excellent forum, I'm also about a year into a new build and was wondering if there was anyone else out there building a Golant Gaffer, if so it would be great to hear from you about your build, I'm based here in New Zealand but it would be good to hear from you where ever you are...................
Chris

Jase
09-09-2017, 04:02 AM
There was one based in Tauranga I think, came up on trademe many moons ago. Nice boat!

StevenBauer
09-09-2017, 06:50 AM
I have no direct building knowledge but I have sailed on one and think it's a fantastic boat.

john welsford
09-09-2017, 02:25 PM
There was one based in Tauranga I think, came up on trademe many moons ago. Nice boat!

That one got sold before it was completed, went to Taupo and was rigged with a second hand masthead sloop rig off a similar sized trailer sailer.
Age had caught up with Alwyn before he could get her finished,

I worked in Wairoa for most of a year a while back, I liked the place. All the best with the build, they're nice boats.

John Welsford

Graeme Forrest
09-09-2017, 05:46 PM
I built one in the early 2000s, name "Anahere" nice boat to sail but attracts too much attention from questioners when at anchor|;). Had health problems and did not feel comfortable sailing it alone so sold it. Now owned by a couple based in the Bay of Islands. John B posted a photo of her during one of his recent Christmas cruises.

JonasK
09-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Hello all,
How would you compare Golant Gaffer and Dudley Dix Cape Cupper 19?
I admire GG lines, round hull, but CC19 seems to be more attractive as lighter trailer sailer. How this may convert into convenience, seaworthiness, harbor cost?
As design for amateur CC19 should be easier and faster to to build. How in terms of cost?
How multi-chine compares to round hull in terms of stability?
As amateur I have built couple of Dudley Dix boats - Argie 10 and Challenger 13 (extended version).
Jonas

Whameller
09-21-2017, 04:37 PM
I don't know if Bluemoon is still active on WBF - he built a really nice GG in the UK a few years back and was kind enough to take me out for a sail in her when I was thinking about building one.

Helle
09-23-2017, 03:45 PM
Jonas,
GGs and CC19s are quite different boats: GG is no light weight, long keel, no centerboard, 45 % ballast ratio, very stable, with a decent diesel engine, no V4A, but bronze, looks really classic, needing a crane for launching. CC19 is just the opposit, but perhaps the better sailor in light winds, and can be launched via a ramp. Seaworthiness of the GG is marvelous, you feel like sailing an much bigger boat.
Best regards
Helle

JonasK
09-24-2017, 11:38 AM
Helle,
Thank you. So if I plan to sail on lakes, lagoon, and, seldom, in Baltic sea, CC19 would be a better choice.
Jonas