PDA

View Full Version : Trump will pull the plug on DACA

Norman Bernstein
09-04-2017, 08:01 AM
...but delay effectivity for 6 months, according to reports.

Now, we'll see what kind of people sit in Congress.... what their character really is. They could stop this, if they wanted to.

WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump plans to end an Obama-era program that protects young undocumented immigrants from deportation, according to multiple reports. But the decision wouldnít take effect for six months, raising the prospect that Trump could change his mind or Congress could work on a legislative solution ― and prolonging uncertainty for hundreds of thousands of people protected by the program.On Sunday, Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/03/trump-dreamers-immigration-daca-immigrants-242301) and Reuters (https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2017-09-03/trump-to-scrap-protection-for-dreamers-give-congress-six-months-to-fix) reported that Trump plans to eventually terminate the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which grants work permits and protections for so-called Dreamers, or undocumented young people brought to the U.S. as children.

There will be a six-month delay to any enforcement of the presidentís decision, unnamed sources told Politico (http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/03/trump-dreamers-immigration-daca-immigrants-242301) and Reuters (https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2017-09-03/trump-to-scrap-protection-for-dreamers-give-congress-six-months-to-fix), which would give Trump ample time to reverse his decision or decline to follow through on it. Otherwise, Congress would have to pass legislation during that gap if they want to keep protections for DACA recipients in place. Dreamers might not know for months whether or how their lives could be upended.

The White House is expected to officially announce Trumpís decision on Tuesday.

M. J. Notigan
09-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Maybe they (Congress) should like....fix this. They've had ample time to do so. But like all of the other vexing problems left over after the promises of "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" and what-not, the Republican Congress & Senate has proven to be just as worthless as the last Democrat controlled Senate and Congress.......

But let's just keep pretendin' on these pages here one party and only one party has the answer while the other is flat out evil. They both are worthless. Maybe a direct reflection on what we, the American People, as a whole, deep down, really are. We get what we deserve. Gotta love division politics....

Norman Bernstein
09-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Maybe they (Congress) should like....fix this. They've had ample time to do so. But like all of the other vexing problems left over after the promises of "if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" and what-not, the Republican Congress & Senate has proven to be just as worthless as the last Democrat controlled Senate and Congress.......

But let's just keep pretendin' on these pages here one party and only one party has the answer while the other is flat out evil. They both are worthless. Maybe a direct reflection on what we, the American People, as a whole, deep down, really are. We get what we deserve. Gotta love division politics....

Yup, take the easy way out. When you condemn both/all political parties, you never have to take responsibility for your opinions.

I'm not suggesting that both Democratic, as well as Republican politicians, don't deserve significant blame.... but dismissing them ALL is just moral escapism.

Reynard38
09-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Yup, take the easy way out. When you condemn both/all political parties, you never have to take responsibility for your opinions.

I'm not suggesting that both Democratic, as well as Republican politicians, don't deserve significant blame.... but dismissing them ALL is just moral escapism.

Well, as bad as the GOP is the Dems are exactly moral pillars either.
I voted for Hilary, but let's face it, she lost to an aging reality TV figure. The Dems can start by accepting she was the WRONG candidate.

Joe (SoCal)
09-04-2017, 10:04 AM
....Sad

Sky Blue
09-04-2017, 10:08 AM
The policy violated the separation of powers doctrine anyway, yet another of Obama's end runs around Congress. Trump is right to scrap it.

L.W. Baxter
09-04-2017, 10:15 AM
I know several kids in the program.

The uncertainty, the anxiety, that feeling in the pit of the stomach. Who out there despises me, and why? What future might be had?

My disgust for Donald Trump and his ass-sucking apologists (see above) has no bounds.

Whether the GOP controlled legislature comes through with a humane solution or not, real damage is being done to real people. It's irrevocable, and unforgivable.

F--- your fake concern over separation of powers. You have a separation of courage from your puny soul, that is all I will ever see in you.

S.V. Airlie
09-04-2017, 10:18 AM
The policy violated the separation of powers doctrine anyway, yet another of Obama's end runs around Congress. Trump is right to scrap it.Of course you would agree with this teabag Bluey. Your types are only concerned about yourselves anyway!

mariner2k
09-04-2017, 10:21 AM

The uncertainty, the anxiety, that feeling in the pit of the stomach. Who out there despises me, and why? What future might be had?

My disgust for Donald Trump and his ass-sucking apologists (see above) has no bounds.

Whether the GOP controlled legislature comes through with a humane solution or not, real damage is being done to real people. It's irrevocable, and unforgivable.

F--- your fake concern over separation of powers. You have a separation of courage from your puny soul, that is all I will ever see in you.

+1

What would the"christian" right do?

SKIP KILPATRICK
09-04-2017, 10:24 AM
but, but ......he loves the Dreamers!

Paul Pless
09-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Bravo Mr. Baxter!

Norman Bernstein
09-04-2017, 10:31 AM
The Dreamers, it seems to me, are more 'American' than some of the so-called Americans we see visiting the bilge.

It just blows my mind that we would deport these people, who know nothing of the country they came from, who weren't responsible for their being here, who are largely responsible, hardworking people trying to live the American dream, paying taxes, serving in our Armed Forces, etc.....

....they are 'citizens' in every sense that means anything.

Sky Blue
09-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Ooh! Consensus building alert!

Trump campaigned on scrapping the program, as he well should have. As far as "the kids" are concerned, the average "dreamer" is 25 years old, with the vast majority of them low skilled.

The virtue signaling here, as always, falls flat.

S.V. Airlie
09-04-2017, 10:34 AM
The Dreamers, it seems to me, are more 'American' than some of the so-called Americans we see visiting the bilge.

It just blows my mind that we would deport these people, who know nothing of the country they came from, who weren't responsible for their being here, who are largely responsible, hardworking people trying to live the American dream, paying taxes, serving in our Armed Forces, etc.....

....they are 'citizens' in every sense that means anything.Bingo!

Paul Pless
09-04-2017, 10:37 AM

Trump campaigned on scrapping the program, as he well should have. As far as "the kids" are concerned, the average "dreamer" is 25 years old, with the vast majority of them low skilled.

The virtue signaling here, as always, falls flat.the vast majority of all 25 year olds is low skilled

Norman Bernstein
09-04-2017, 10:39 AM

....but the vice signalling is strong, isn't it.

Canoez
09-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Am I the only one here who sees the hypocrisy of the "right" in supporting Trump's executive order on immigration that has clearly been found to be unconstitutional by several Federal courts, but would prefer to shred Obama's DACA decision for "executive over-reach"?

Personally, I think it cruel to send the "dreamers" back to a country where they didn't grow up and don't know, and in some cases, may not speak the language.

"The vast majority of them are low skilled". Bluey - you'd better support that statement with some evidence - from what I've been seeing of news articles, there appear to be large numbers of "dreamers" who are college and university students or otherwise highly skilled or better-educated than many. Cite a non-partisan source. Infowars doesn't count.

Sky Blue
09-04-2017, 10:42 AM
the vast majority of all 25 year olds is low skilled

Think about that for a minute...

Keith Wilson
09-04-2017, 10:43 AM
I am not going to wait until I calm down.

Mr. Trump's proposal is one of the clearest examples of genuine evil in US politics in my lifetime. My reactions are moving beyond disgust into actual hatred, because of the incredible amount of utterly unnecessary suffering the loathsome man is going to cause.

'Both parties', my *ss. Any of you who voted for Trump, this is your goddamned fault. F**k you all and the horses you rode in on. If this actually happens, you will bear the guilt of it for the rest of your life.

Canoez
09-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Just the Republican Party trying to MAWA.

Sky Blue
09-04-2017, 10:46 AM
this is your fault

Quite. Trump campaigned on scrapping the program, people. Now that he goes and does it, the hysteria begins. Get over it.

George Jung
09-04-2017, 10:49 AM
From what I've read, I believe most here are mis-reading Trump. He campaigned on this issue; he really has no other 'options' (in his mind) than to do this - but note the 6 month 'window', during which this falls to Congress - Republican Congress, that hasn't 'stepped up', in his mind - to 'do something' about this. This is all theater, a chance to put the screws to Congress, to 'get in line' or suffer the consequences; and it allows Trump a face-save.

S.V. Airlie
09-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Hey, SB.. You should do a little homework once in a while!

The Department of Homeland security estimated on the day of the policy announcement that nearly 800,000 individuals would be affected. However, the Pew Hispanic Center and Migration Policy Institute have independently given a number almost twice the size, projecting that nearly 1.4 million individuals will be affected.
“We’re probably using some different sources and data sets,” Lopez explained.
Despite numerous obstacles in measuring the population, various research organizations have begun attempts to identify who the young beneficiaries of Obama’s plan are.
Nearly 60 percent of those eligible for Obama’s new policy (about 800,000) are currently enrolled in K-12 institutions, a quarter of those eligible (about 370,000) are high school graduates or have earned a GED certificate, and more than 15 percent (about 220,000) are enrolled in or have graduated from college, according to recent estimates by the Migration Policy Institute. (http://www.migrationpolicy.org/news/2012_06_15.php)

Keith Wilson
09-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Quite. Trump campaigned on scrapping the program, people. Now that he goes and does it, the hysteria begins. Get over it.HELL NO! I don't care what he campaigned on, his plan is simply evil.

Sky Blue
09-04-2017, 10:58 AM
The amazing thing is that I can't recall anyone here doing anything at all for the beneficiaries of DACA, then or now.

L.W. pops off here, but what has anyone here really done to support these people? Joined a protest march? Written a congressman? Anything except key strokes in an internet forum?

The corrosive effect of virtue signaling is in the high 5's and back pats one gets. People get to feel good about themselves for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

It's embarrassing, quite frankly (to say nothing of dishonest). This is nothing more than the latest "outrage" of the day in the Bilge.

<yawn>

Rich Jones
09-04-2017, 11:00 AM
I am not going to wait until I calm down.

Mr. Trump's proposal is one of the clearest examples of genuine evil in US politics in my lifetime. My reactions are moving beyond disgust into actual hatred, because of the incredible amount of utterly unnecessary suffering the loathsome man is going to cause.

'Both parties', my *ss. Any of you who voted for Trump, this is your goddamned fault. F**k you all and the horses you rode in on. If this actually happens, you will bear the guilt of it for the rest of your life. Don't let Bluey get you riled up, that's what he wants. Don't give it to him.

George Jung
09-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Yeah, ol' SB 'talks alot' - and yet, here he/she is, typing on an internet forum. What an activist....

Sky Blue
I haven't done anything to get anyone riled up, other than to be supportive of the policy that Trump campaigned on, and questioning what those complaining about Trump's approach have done about it at any time in the past (apart from stroking keys on their keyboard). Anything? Anyone?

S.V. Airlie
Blue, 2016 was the 4th anniversary od DACA. Even with that, here are some of the results:
This year marks the fourth anniversary of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/consideration-deferred-action-childhood-arrivals-daca), or DACA, initiative. Through executive action, DACA provides temporary relief from deportation and work authorization to eligible unauthorized immigrants who entered the country at a young age. According to the latest publicly available data from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, 741,546 unauthorized young people have received DACA (https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Reports%20and%20Studies/Immigration%20Forms%20Data/All%20Form%20Types/DACA/daca_performancedata_fy2016_qtr3.pdf). Early studies—including one that Tom K. Wong of the University of California, San Diego; the National Immigration Law Center, or NILC; and the Center for American Progress, or CAP, conducted last year (https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/news/2015/07/09/117054/results-from-a-nationwide-survey-of-daca-recipients-illustrate-the-programs-impact/) and another published by United We Dream (http://unitedwedream.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/DACA-report-final-1.pdf)—illustrate that DACA has improved the lives of its recipients and their families.
Following up on these studies, these organizations teamed up on a new national survey to further analyze the economic, educational, and employment experiences and outcomes of DACA recipients. The survey was fielded from September 8, 2016, to September 26, 2016, with a sample size of 1,308 individuals. The results (https://cdn.americanprogressaction.org/content/uploads/2016/10/21111136/2016-daca_survey_draft_updated-FINAL2.pdf) make clear that DACA has had a positive impact, not just for recipients but also for the American economy more generally.
The data illustrate that DACA recipients are making significant contributions to the economy by buying cars and first homes, which translate into more revenue for states and localities in the form of sales and property taxes. Some are even using their entrepreneurial talents to help create new jobs and further spur economic growth by starting their own businesses.
The positive wage effect of DACA is also significant. The data show that DACA increased recipients’ average hourly wages by 42 percent. Given that higher wages translate into higher tax revenue (https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/news/2015/04/02/110045/assessing-the-economic-impacts-of-granting-deferred-action-through-daca-and-dapa/) and economic growth, these findings reinforce the fact that DACA benefits all Americans. Moreover, a full 95 percent of survey respondents are currently employed or enrolled in school. Consistent with the 2015 survey, the data indicate that many DACA recipients are getting better and higher-paying jobs because of DACA. Many are pursuing educational opportunities that were previously unavailable to them. The majors, specializations, and training that DACA recipients are pursuing include early childhood education, biochemistry, computer science, creative writing, graphic design, neuroscience, nursing, social work, and urban planning, among many others.
DACA’s impact on employmentThe latest data indicate that having work authorization remains vital when it comes to helping DACA recipients participate more fully in the labor force. Eighty-seven percent of respondents to the 2016 survey are currently employed, with an additional 8 percent not working but in school.
The current survey is one of the first to systematically identify the industries in which DACA recipients are working, and the results show wide-ranging labor market contributions. The data indicate that 21 percent of respondents work in educational and health services, 11 percent work in the nonprofit sector, 9 percent work in wholesale and retail trades, and 8 percent work in professional and business services. The results illustrate that DACA recipients are contributing across all sectors of the economy.
Furthermore, after receiving DACA, 63 percent of respondents reported moving to a job with better pay; 49 percent moved to a job that “better fits my education and training”; and 48 percent moved to a job with better working conditions. These figures are largely consistent with previous findings from the 2015 survey and show that the temporary work authorization that comes with DACA has helped to unlock recipients’ economic potential.
The 2016 survey also found that 6 percent of respondents started their own business after receiving DACA. This rate of business starts is higher than that of both the American public (https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/report/2016/06/16/139551/refugee-integration-in-the-united-states/) as a whole—at 3.1 percent—and the entire immigrant population—at 3.6 percent. These businesses include tech startups, online craft stores, and tax preparation services, among others. One business owner who employs nine people hopes to continue to grow and “hire [even] more people from the community.”
DACA’s impact on earningsLast year’s survey found that having DACA increased individuals’ average hourly wages by more than 40 percent. The current survey data confirm that DACA is having a positive and significant effect on wages: The average hourly wages of respondents increased by 42 percent since receiving DACA, rising from $9.83 per hour to $13.96 per hour. Further research is needed to parse out the short- and long-run wage effects of DACA, as well as whether short-run gains represent a plateau in earnings or if an even more robust long-run wage effect exists as recipients gain more work experience and progress in their careers. But for now, this much is clear: Four years into the initiative, DACA means earning higher wages.
Accordingly, 60 percent of survey respondents reported that their increased earnings have “helped me become financially independent,” and 61 percent reported that their increased earnings have “helped my family financially.” These figures are also consistent with the previous 2015 findings, but importantly, the percentage of respondents who are now able to help their families financially has increased (https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/news/2015/07/09/117054/results-from-a-nationwide-survey-of-daca-recipients-illustrate-the-programs-impact/) from last year, which is another sign of the broader benefits of DACA.
DACA’s impact on the economyThe current survey results suggest that the purchasing power of those with DACA is increasing.
Last year, the survey found that 21 percent of respondents purchased their first car after receiving DACA. This year, this figure climbed to an astonishing 54 percent. The data indicate that most people—71 percent—purchased used cars, while a smaller group—29 percent—purchased new cars. The average cost of used car purchases was $10,637, and the average cost of new car purchases was $24,307. These large purchases matter for state revenue, as most states collect between 3 percent and 6 percent (http://www.carmax.com/enus/tax-title-tags-fees-calculator/default.html) of the purchase price in sales tax, along with additional registration and title fees (http://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/registration-and-title-fees-by-state.aspx). The added revenue for states comes in addition to the safety benefits (http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/perspectives/living-car-culture-without-license) of having more licensed and insured drivers on the roads.
The survey also found that 12 percent of respondents purchased their first home after receiving DACA, at an average cost of $167,596. The broader positive economic impact of home purchases are well-documented (http://www.realtor.org/topics/home-ownership-matters/jobs-impact-of-an-existing-home-purchase) and include the creation of jobs and the infusion of new spending in local economies.

Canoez
09-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Quite. Trump campaigned on scrapping the program, people. Now that he goes and does it, the hysteria begins. Get over it.

"Get over it."?

I think not.

I think Trump's falling approval rating said that those who elected him didn't think he'd do the things that he said he would attempt to do. If this isn't a clear indication of "buyer''s remorse", nothing is.

If you think that the folks here haven't supported DACA, you apparently don't know that people on this forum voted against Trump.

Jamie's post should be instructive that what Republicans and in particular, Trump, is attempting to do is to damage the country.

leikec
09-04-2017, 11:14 AM
I see the loathsome troll is playing games again this morning.

Jeff C

Joe (SoCal)
09-04-2017, 11:29 AM
I see the loathsome troll is playing games again this morning.

Jeff C

Who?

Fwiw Keith I'm in total agreement with you.

David G
09-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Republican lawmaker slams D.Tramp for DACA decision --

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-lawmaker-mocks-trump-great-072304088.html

Rich Jones
09-04-2017, 12:09 PM
I haven't done anything to get anyone riled up, other than to be supportive of the policy that Trump campaigned on, and questioning what those complaining about Trump's approach have done about it at any time in the past (apart from stroking keys on their keyboard). Anything? Anyone? Your support for DT's immoral action is great cause to be riled up. Any person of moral integrity will see DT as the uncaring and cold-hearted soulless person that he is. I can't for the life of me understand how any caring human being can support this action. Innocent children (some now adults) sent back to a country they've never known. Perhaps you can enlighten us. Do you support deporting these children or do you support Congress coming up with a solution to keep them here?

L.W. Baxter
09-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Did a little search. You came straight from Breitbart. They have the same relationship with the truth as you do.

They make the assertion about average age with no reference or support. It's a bald-faced lie, in support of an indefensible position.

Just your style, Bluey. Tell us again about the "67 black people shot in Chicago during the weekend of the Charlottesville protests".

LeeG
09-04-2017, 12:35 PM
Speaking of sad. DT visits shelter in Houston and leaves his tag on a wall.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/348996-trump-signs-wall-of-shelter-for-hurricane-victims

Tom Montgomery
09-04-2017, 12:36 PM

Amen.

"Virtue signaling?" What complete and utter BS.

John Smith
09-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Seems he's only said he's going to say he's going to end DACA in 6 months. Let's have a bit of patience.

L.W. Baxter
09-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Seems he's only said he's going to say he's going to end DACA in 6 months. Let's have a bit of patience.

It's the same thing as cancelling it outright, John. It's the uncertainty that is cruel and unnecessary.

We're talking about kids who have been uncertain of their place all their lives. DACA has afforded some relief.

The psychological burden is heavy. I have seen the results first hand. Jesus wept, we are a selfish bunch of ----heads.

LeeG
09-04-2017, 12:58 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/JuanSaaa/status/904520717810716672

Joe (SoCal)
09-04-2017, 01:30 PM
From what I've seen quoted by others today and previously I can honestly say SB is as loathsome an individual as GR was and the primary example why we should all place him on ignore.

Not a single ounce of humanity and absolute glee over a heartless decision.

Paul Pless
09-04-2017, 01:32 PM
From what I've seen quoted by others today and previously I can honestly say SB is as loathsome an individual as GR was and the primary example why we should all place him on ignore.

Not a single ounce of humanity and absolute glee over a heartless decision.too many here take him too seriously, jaft. . .

Sky Blue
09-04-2017, 10:10 PM
The program is unconstitutional, people. It violates separation of powers doctrine.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/immigration/348924-thank-trump-if-he-finally-ends-the-unconstitutional-daca

L.W. Baxter
09-04-2017, 10:23 PM
The program is unconstitutional, people. It violates separation of powers doctrine.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/immigration/348924-thank-trump-if-he-finally-ends-the-unconstitutional-daca

Nice blog post.

If Obama didn't have the power to institute, then Trump doesn't have the power to rescind.

You people can't think your way out of a wet paper bag.

Lew Barrett
09-04-2017, 10:56 PM
Yeah, ol' SB 'talks alot' - and yet, here he/she is, typing on an internet forum. What an activist....

She's a billowing bustle-full of Blowhard Sniveling sniping.

Lew Barrett
09-04-2017, 10:59 PM
Right on, Lee. Tennessee doesn't get much right but it was good to see that the state didn't join in the lawsuit. TN originally entered the pact with the nine other cretin AGs, but withdrew in the end. Another Trump abomination to coddle his sycophants and accomplish net negative.

Sky Blue
09-04-2017, 11:50 PM
too many here take him too seriously, jaft. . .

A thoughtful observer might come to the reverse conclusion. The comments here indicate that some take themselves far too seriously. I mean, look how childishly they've behaved and their juvenile need for public consensus. The irony is just how utterly unserious they really appear.

Canoez
09-05-2017, 08:55 AM
http://www.npr.org/2017/09/05/548576337/news-brief-dacas-future-congress-weighs-harvey-recovery-response