PDA

View Full Version : A Brilliant New Cancer Treatment That Re-Engineers Human Cells Just Got Approved

sharpiefan
08-30-2017, 08:32 PM
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) just approved a cutting-edge cancer therapy. (LINK) (https://www.sciencealert.com/a-cancer-treatment-that-one-expert-called-the-most-exciting-thing-i-ve-seen-in-my-lifetime-just-got-approved)

"The most exciting thing I've seen in my lifetime."

On Wednesday, the FDA approved Novartis's Kymriah, also known as tisagenlecleucel, a treatment for pediatric acute lymphoblastic lymphoblastic leukemia.

"I think this is most exciting thing I've seen in my lifetime," Dr. Tim Cripe, an oncologist who was part of the FDA advisory committee panel that voted in favour of approving the drug in July.

The highly personalised treatment is called CAR T-cell therapy. It's a type of cancer immunotherapy or a therapy that harnesses the body's immune system to take on cancer cells.

TXdoug
08-30-2017, 11:12 PM
This the most interesting 6 hours of TV in a while. Promising

https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/first-in-human/full-episodes/admission

gypsie
08-30-2017, 11:19 PM
sounds very exciting - I hope it succeeds.

J.Madison
08-30-2017, 11:32 PM
I have a cousin deeply involved with this research. He is trying to take the great success with leukemia and replicate it with brain tumors. I don't know that there has been much success yet, but it gives me great hope.

Cancer is a horrible thing.

isla
08-31-2017, 07:39 AM
Great news. There is also promising new research coming out of Glasgow University..

Scientists have discovered a process to trigger the death of cancer cells that they believe could be more effective than current methods.
Existing therapies often fail to kill all the cancer cells, leading to a recurrence of the disease.
The new method - called Caspase Independent Cell Death (CICD) - led to the complete eradication of tumours in experimental models.

University of Glasgow scientists plan to investigate the technique further.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-41081746

As a sufferer I live in hope that new treatments will become available before it finishes me off.

Rum_Pirate
08-31-2017, 08:24 AM
I have a cousin deeply involved with this research. He is trying to take the great success with leukemia and replicate it with brain tumors. I don't know that there has been much success yet, but it gives me great hope.

Cancer is a horrible thing.

Well done.

Yes, cancer is a horrible thing.

Todd D
08-31-2017, 08:51 AM
The downside of Car-T is that it is horribly expensive at around $500K. There are also significant side effects and it is not 100% effective. Nevertheless it is a promising treatment, but there are other less dangerous options that appear to be as effective for leukemia.

wizbang 13
08-31-2017, 08:59 AM
I would have more faith in western medicine if they would do something simple like cure male pattern baldness, as a sign of good faith.
Food and Drug Administration???? trust them? heh heh .

sharpiefan
08-31-2017, 09:19 AM
I would have more faith in western medicine if they would do something simple like cure male pattern baldness, as a sign of good faith.
Food and Drug Administration???? trust them? heh heh .

There's no money in a cure; if they cure it, they can't sell you oceans of Rogaine. :)

Gerarddm
08-31-2017, 12:23 PM
^ Bingo.