PDA

View Full Version : Email scam

PeterSibley
08-29-2017, 05:11 PM
This a pretty standard scam and here's an example. My friend had her email account ( Hotmail) scammed and this email arrived in lots of inboxes. I recognised it as a scam as did others and she has advised everyone on her contact list and closed that email address. However if I wasn't in frequent contact the story would have been more believable.

"Good to hear from you, I have been having network problem on my phone because am in Istanbul Turkey, i am using hospital computer to mail you at the moment. I really didn't want to disturb you with this but I have no one else to turn to at this point. I received an emergency call from Turkey that my cousin and his family had an accident in Istanbul Turkey, his wife who was driving at the time is already dead. I rushed to Istanbul Turkey to help him and his family, but unfortunately i don't have access to my Bank here. I need to pay the hospital bill of him and his three year old son whose leg was broken.

Please I'm going to need some sort of loan from you like about 2,500 Euros. I have spent all i have with me here and be rest assured i will pay back as soon as i get back home because this burden is way too much for me to handle alone at the moment. If you can't afford all just let me know what you can afford.

Please try and find that merciful place in your heart to join me save him and his family's life. I will pay back when am back home next week.

Hoping to read from you soon.

Regards, xxxxx''

seanz
08-29-2017, 08:10 PM
Seems that Norman's thread was deleted. Bit of a shame. He had a great defence against mal-ware and people should hear about it

CWSmith
08-29-2017, 08:21 PM
This was a much simpler and less-malicious email scam:

Years ago it was April 1st and two of my friends changed the email address on one of their PCs to mimic the address of a secretary at the institute. They sent a message to all the post-docs in one large office that they were to move their books, computers, desks and bookcases out into the hall because the maintenance staff wanted to pull up the carpet and wax the floor. They walked in to find half the PhDs had already moved into the hall. :)

There was a witch hunt to find out who had broken into the secretary's email account and no one ever noticed that the email address used was written backwards!