PDA

View Full Version : One of Our Fundamental Assumptions Was Just Overturned in The Lab.

sharpiefan
08-29-2017, 06:38 AM
One of Our Fundamental Assumptions About Black Holes Was Just Overturned in The Lab. (LINK) (https://www.sciencealert.com/one-of-our-fundamental-assumptions-about-black-holes-was-just-overturned-in-the-lab)

Black holes are the most intense and mysterious cosmic phenomena in the Universe, and new research shows we understand even less about them than we thought we did.

jack grebe
08-29-2017, 06:47 AM
Interesting........ Maybe time to rework that speed of light thread.......

Jim Mahan
08-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Interesting article. I have a problem with this phrase in the beginning of the article, "these matter-consuming voids." People have gotten the wrong notion from the use of the word 'hole' in the term black hole, which was rhetorical when first coined, much like the term 'big bang.' The cosmic phenomenon is super dense, not empty. It isn't a void at all. It's a solid, super massive, super hot object. If you 'fall into' a black hole, you don't go down some cosmic drain, you land on the surface of the solid thing and increase it's mass and gravitational attraction that much more. You would be falling onto a black hole and not into it. For an itty-bitty span of a micro micro, nano second you'd help light up the accretion disk, and it would seem like forever.

Not a void. A void is empty. Duh.

jack grebe
08-29-2017, 08:12 AM
I believe that the illustrations used show uno directional as opposed to omni directional perpetuate that viewpoint

Gerarddm
08-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Jim, given event horizons and such, could it not be said that one would fall into a gravitational black hole, at the bottom of which is the massively dense object you described?

Peerie Maa
08-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Does any one understand what the report is discussing?

Jim Mahan
08-29-2017, 08:57 AM

Yeah.

Their aim was to test something called resonant Auger destruction (http://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.1960918) – the notion that under a black hole's immense gravity and intense radiation, highly energised iron electrons don't emit light in the form of photons.

LeeG
08-29-2017, 08:59 AM

Nope. Auger destruction?

Duncan Gibbs
08-29-2017, 09:03 AM
... 42

jack grebe
08-29-2017, 09:03 AM
Nope. Auger destruction?

I destroyed an auger once..... The tractor twisted that sucker right up......

Peerie Maa
08-29-2017, 09:04 AM
Their aim was to test something called resonant Auger destruction (http://aip.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1063/1.1960918) – the notion that under a black hole's immense gravity and intense radiation, highly energised iron electrons don't emit light in the form of photons.Thanks, that helped a lot :D

Abstract

We examine the effects of resonant Auger destruction in modifying the intensities and flux distributions of Kα spectra from iron L‐shell ions. Applications include X‐ray irradiated stellar winds in X‐ray binaries and accretion disk atmospheres. Using detailed atomic models, we find that resonant Auger destruction is selective, in that only a subset of the emitted Kα lines is highly attenuated. We also show that that the local excitation conditions can have a dramatic effect on the Kα emissivity spectrum.

sharpiefan
08-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Auger Effect (Link) (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auger_effect) is what they were looking for and did not find. A crude analogy would be if you tossed a ping-pong ball into a bin full of ping-pong balls, you would expect to see one bounce out. Nothing bounced out in their experiment.

JimD
08-29-2017, 09:23 AM
Thanks, that helped a lot :DYah, I hear ya. I wish they wouldn't dumb down the explanations like that. Still, for me the most interesting part was the Ka line subset attenuation. ;)

Jim Mahan
08-29-2017, 11:10 AM

See? The usual suspects seem to.

I'll bet Mr. Grebe et al are of the opinion that resonant auger destruction isn't really happening and the Dems just wanna take over space and ruin the market with regulations. It's a Chinese hoax, and the Russians already own most of it.

:d

Chris249
08-29-2017, 04:45 PM
the Dems just wanna take over space and ruin the market with regulations.

:d
Well SOMEONE has to take the blame for all those unnecessary laws like the law of gravity and the laws of thermodynamics. Imagine how much more profit airlines would make, for instance, if planes just hung up there in the sky by themselves. But you try telling people that Newton was a commy spy and they just won't listen.:mad:

Too Little Time
08-29-2017, 07:13 PM
That certainly was not one of my fundamental assumptions.