Nutritional supplements(web/book recommendations)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ishmael
    Banned
    • Jun 2000

Nutritional supplements(web/book recommendations)

I think there is something of a shift happening in this field of health care away from pharmaceuticals and toward nutrition in general, and specifically toward supplementation. I've dipped a toe, with some supplements having a clear beneficial effect, and some not so much.

I'm also aware there are a lot of snake oil salesmen. So...are there any books or websites that people here have found both modern/cutting edge and sound on this topic.

Personal anecdotes are welcome, too. I'll start. I have mild arthritis in several joints, and I've used both glucosamine alone and in combination with hyaluronic acid and MSM. The former, no change, but the later seems to have really helped. Chondriton is another often combined with the above, but I've avoided it because I don't like the idea of eating the renderings of perhaps hundreds of beasts. Chondriton is made from cows. BSE worries don'cha know.

Anywho, I'd love to hear from ya'll on a topic relieved of politics, which potentially affects all of us. You can even poo poo the topic. I won't take it personally.

Don't worry, be happy.
  • Peerie Maa
    Old Grey Inquisitive One
    • Oct 2008

Re: Nutritional supplements(web/book recommendations)

I'd not worry about BSE. I expect that the prions are filtered out when making the target chemical.
    Glucosamine is not a cure, it is to prevent deterioration over the long term.
    We use glucosamine and cod liver oil.

Oh, eat your greens.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• ishmael
      Banned
      • Jun 2000

Not sure about the prion filter, Nick. I haven't read about BSE in ten years, but at the time regular autoclaves didn't get rid of them.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
        Old Grey Inquisitive One
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ishmael
        Not sure about the prion filter, Nick. I haven't read about BSE in ten years, but at the time regular autoclaves didn't get rid of them.
        The autoclaves were not cooking the meat at a high enough temperature. That was making animal feed, so all they did was cook the stuff. Chondroitin sulfate is a chemical that is normally found in cartilage around joints in the body. BSE prions are found in nervous tissue, not in cartilage. So the manufacturing process will only use cartilage, not spinal chord and brains. Filtered out in the abattoirs by the butchers.

Comment

• ishmael
          Banned
          • Jun 2000

Thanks for the clarification, Nick. I'm still not quite convinced that in the slaughter process the nerve tissue is kept separate. Maybe it is in GB, as BSE has been more an issue there. Plus, don't nerve tissues run throughout the body?

P.S. I wasn't referencing cooking for animal feed, but rather autoclaves used with surgical instruments. Those, apparently, didn't touch them. Pesky little bits of protein those prions!

Comment

• Peerie Maa
            Old Grey Inquisitive One
            • Oct 2008

Thanks for the clarification, Nick. I'm still not quite convinced that in the slaughter process the nerve tissue is kept separate. Maybe it is in GB, as BSE has been more an issue there. Plus, don't nerve tissues run throughout the body?
            However, cartilage does not have a nervous system.

Comment

• TomF
              Recalcitrant Heretic
              • Jun 2003

Eat mostly plants, in lots of variety. Fish oil of some type is good, if you don't already eat oily fish regularly. I've recently started to eat more naturally fermented foods (fermented pickles and kraut) as well as yogurt, to keep my interior biome as diverse as I can. Helps with inflammation, digestion, nutrient absorption, and also the maintenance of a good gut wall which prevents stuff getting into the blood stream which ought to just pass through.

I figure that since I eat anyway, I might as well treat the food like it's medicine as much as fuel. Other than that, I don't add much. If I'm training hard with weights and am breaking down a lot of tissue, I'll eat more protein to help with recovery, and pop a few ibuprofen through the day to reduce soreness. (vitamin I )
              If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• Norman Bernstein
                Liberaltarian
                • Nov 2004

You can even poo poo the topic. I won't take it personally.
                OK, I will!

For the most part, the 'nutritional supplements' industry is all about faith.. and not about science. There are people I respect who will disagree with me, but I'm an engineer, right down to my soul... and if it isn't proven by rigorous double blind testing, then it ain't science. Absent rigorous proof, we are capable of convincing ourselves of ANYTHING.

Well, you DID say I could 'poo poo' the topic, right?
                "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Comment

• TomF
                  Recalcitrant Heretic
                  • Jun 2003

It has long been observed that bodybuilders have the most expensive pee in our society.
                  If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

Working...