PDA

View Full Version : The real difference between conseratives and liberals

CWSmith
08-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Well, not all, but it is a signature trait:

How many conservatives have been the victim of violent crime? The recent shooting on the DC ball field stands out as a unique act of violence from someone who espouses the liberal view. And Wallace is on the list.

How many liberals, people working for positive change in our society, have been the victims of gun crime? You can go back to Lincoln, add King and how many civil rights workers?, both Kennedys, Gifford, how many abortion doctors?, and how many more people who's only crime was advocating for the broadening of rights for all? Most recently, you can see direct lines between the angry rhetoric of right-wing TV and radio drawing a direct line to acts of violence against liberals.

If you think I'm wrong, prove that the liberal voters have this violent streak by naming names. I've read about the "liberal" rock throwers. Show me the liberal killers.

Too Little Time
08-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Well, not all, but it is a signature trait
Democrats seem to be a bit more covert in their actions. They seem to spread the pain enough that many do not notice.

I would suggest that anyone who would suggest that the middle class needs help without first bringing the poor (those with incomes below $50k) up to the middle class (those with incomes above $50k) are committing violence against a very large group of individuals.

Paul Pless
08-26-2017, 10:37 AM
I think there are bigger reasons for the differences. Ask yourself why Republicans generally take positions against increasing public education. . .

Could it be that Republicans are dumbasses? No that's much too asinine. Could it be that Republicans need an uneducated electorate to advance their political agenda???

mmd
08-26-2017, 10:37 AM
Nice deflection, TLT. I will be curious to see how far it gets you.

CWSmith
08-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Nice deflection, TLT. I will be curious to see how far it gets you.

It isn't worth a response.

amish rob
08-26-2017, 10:40 AM
I think there are bigger reasons for the differences. Ask yourself why Republicans generally take positions against increasing public education. . .

Could it be that Republicans are dumbasses? No that's much too asinine. Could it be that Republicans need an uneducated electorate to advance their political agenda???

Proudly uneducated.

The ignorance must be worn as a badge of honor. Why should I improve? I'm not good enough?

Peace,
Robert

oznabrag
08-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Proudly uneducated.

The ignorance must be worn as a badge of honor. Why should I improve? I'm not good enough?

Peace,
Robert

Channeling the Arkie?

amish rob
08-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Channeling the Arkie?
Just talking to some family and neighbors...

Peace,
Robert

Boater14
08-26-2017, 11:13 AM
During the obama healthcare riots someone who you all venerated but no longer posts seemed totally under cncerned that my bypass and my wife's cancer would render us uninsurable after a life of work. He told me that since I was a vet I could get free care at the VA. I was concerned that in your total uncritical approach to this guys every word you wouldn't know that the only way a vet without a service incurred disability could get VA care would be if he were destitute. That's a conservative, I'm ok, screw you. Yes, it's that simple.

CWSmith
08-26-2017, 11:24 AM
^ As far as I know, the illegality of the preexisting condition clause in some insurance policies remains. However, as with all of Obamacare it remains under threat.

As for the VA, I don't see the reason for it anymore. Vets can get excellent care at community hospitals and should be adequately covered to get everything they need right alongside the rest of us. I think their level of care would improve.

sharpiefan
08-26-2017, 12:12 PM
Proudly uneducated.

Peace,
Robert

In 1980, Isaac Asimov wrote an essay for Newsweek called A Cult of Ignorance. Excerpts & memes from the essay abound, but it has never been reprinted any collection of his works, and it is rare on the net.

I found a copy some kind person posted to github (linked below).

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way throughout political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

Politicians have routinely striven to speak the language of Shakespeare and Milton as ungrammaticaly as possible in order to avoid offending their audiences by appearing to have gone to school.

Read the whole essay here. (LINK) (https://gist.github.com/embats/4934c30d900960ce15a7)

CK 17
08-26-2017, 01:12 PM
What about the unibomber? To the extent you can label anyone that kills, I would say ted was a lefty.

Gerarddm
08-26-2017, 01:30 PM
^ Well, yes, to be sure, in a way. More of a luddite nihilist, though.

There are conservatives of varying stripes. I can deal with David Brooks of the world; I cannot with the Steve Bannons of the world.

CWSmith
08-26-2017, 01:32 PM
^^ He was also mentally ill.

Jim Mahan
08-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Proudly uneducated.

"...he [Hitler] was one of the "terrible simplifiers who thought to reduce the complexity of life to the dogmas they had worked out."

or to whatever seat of the pants position fits the moment.

David W Pratt
08-26-2017, 04:00 PM
What were George Metesky's political leanings?

jack grebe
08-26-2017, 04:29 PM
During the obama healthcare riots someone who you all venerated but no longer posts seemed totally under cncerned that my bypass and my wife's cancer would render us uninsurable after a life of work. He told me that since I was a vet I could get free care at the VA. I was concerned that in your total uncritical approach to this guys every word you wouldn't know that the only way a vet without a service incurred disability could get VA care would be if he were destitute. That's a conservative, I'm ok, screw you. Yes, it's that simple.
I don't know who gave you that line of bullsh!t, but it is wrong. I have used the VA exclusively for more
than 20 years, never service connected, and never had a problem, and I have damn sure never been destitute........

CK 17
08-26-2017, 04:49 PM
We might be able to keep score in some high profile cases such as assignation, but at least as of now in this country, that is a very small percentage of murders. I think for the most part people commit crimes where they live. This would mean inner city people kill mostly other inner city people and red state trailer park residents probably kill mostly other red state trailer park people. This tells me that most people kill people of the same political affiliation for non political reasons.

Im not sure this exercise will yield the results you might think. I don't think it's a signature trait.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

Boater14
08-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Jack, tell the whole story. You have no service connected disability and VA provides all your healthcare? I exceeded the income allowable 35 Years ago.

skuthorp
08-26-2017, 09:40 PM
There are studies that suggest the whether you are conservative or liberal may have something to do with your genes.
Specifically DRD4 which is involved in risk taking and decision making.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/liberal-or-conservative-it-may-be-down-to-your-genes-10443686.html
There are other references around.
Article referred to was 2014, Another more recent article from North Western University,

"Given previous findings relating political orientation with cognitive styles, the researchers hypothesized that liberals and conservatives would preferentially employ different processes when tackling problems that could be solved using either an analytical or insight approach. "
https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2016/03/political-insight-republicans-democrats-conservatives-liberals-think-differently/