PDA

View Full Version : Calkins Craft Bottom Repair

Bergie
08-23-2017, 08:28 AM
I inherited a 1954 Calkins Craft that has not been in the water since 1980. The worst dry rot sections have been removed and replaced on the bottom and the product "Git" Rot applied where appropriate. Six inch fiberglass tape will be used on the chines, bow, keel, stern corners, and over the replacement marine plywood seams. The boat will be on a mooring buoy in salt water for 4 months each summer and then trailer stored. How should I seal the bottom to keep the plywood from further deteriorating and what bottom paint would be best? With wood movement once wet, would epoxy over the entire bottom end up cracking? What else should I be concerned about?

Peerie Maa
08-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Plywood is very dimensionally stable, so an epoxy cloth skin over the bottom will not crack. Epoxy is not paint, if you do not want to lay up cloth, use a quality marine paint system. CPES can be used as a primer, but must be painted to create a moisture barrier.

nedL
08-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Is this as in a"Caulkins bartender"?

David G
08-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Is this as in a"Caulkins bartender"?

No. Calkins Craft is a plywood runabout manufacturer.

I'd be tempted to follow the patch Nick suggests.

nedL
08-23-2017, 09:57 PM
Ahh,.. Thank you Dave. Us 'right side' guys aren't always familiar with the 'left side' builders.

Powerwagon
08-24-2017, 09:49 AM
Calkins Craft were designed built by George Calkins...but as previously mentioned they were a runabout not a bartender. Many of his designs share the signature windshield, very cool, well built boats! Bergie - do you have any pictures of the boat?