PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm not a Republican

David G
08-21-2017, 08:52 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20914736_1147763932034492_6264628812299704558_n.jp g?oh=0b8dc5e5ed5ec172a1c967d8a8615d48&oe=5A2FB58A

David G
08-21-2017, 08:55 PM
And because I'm wise to how you have deliberately chosen to divide our country against itself with wedge issues and promoting racial biases... for your own financial and political gain --

http://www.snopes.com/lbj-convince-the-lowest-white-man/

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- Lyndon B. Johnson

Jim Bow
08-21-2017, 09:37 PM
I do believe that picture is Ms Miley Cyrus. Is she considered to be Hollywood Elite?

David G
08-21-2017, 09:48 PM
I do believe that picture is Ms Miley Cyrus. Is she considered to be Hollywood Elite?

Sorry... don't follow Hollywood much. Dose it matter if she is elite?

jack grebe
08-21-2017, 09:59 PM

I believe she considers herself photo shopped

http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llurpmrLJV1qceovdo1_500.jpg

ron ll
08-21-2017, 10:30 PM
Good catch Jack. Too bad tho because I believe those are her values. Was your first clue that the lettering didn't have enough peaks and valleys?

David G
08-21-2017, 10:37 PM
I'll stick with the t-shirt. Don't care whose face it is.

ron ll
08-21-2017, 10:47 PM
Something funny going on here. Why was her necklace erased and her neck f**ked up in the second picture? Which one is 'shopped?

jack grebe
08-21-2017, 10:59 PM
I googled Miley Cyrus wearing tee shirt

That came up........

David G
08-21-2017, 11:02 PM
Something funny going on here. Why was her necklace erased and her neck f**ked up in the second picture? Which one is 'shopped?

IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

Doesn't matter if it's Miley or Miles, or an Ewok in the t-shirt. The point is the message, not the personality. Jack is simply muddying the waters with superfluities. When you got nothing else, and you have no scruples, that's what you do.

jack grebe
08-21-2017, 11:07 PM
How rude........

David G
08-21-2017, 11:38 PM
How rude........

Deliberately trying to distract and deflect with persiflage? Yes... I thought so too.

But don't worry, I ain't gonna push no buttons. But it's nice to see you fess up for once.

jack grebe
08-21-2017, 11:42 PM
Deliberately trying to distract and deflect with persiflage? Yes... I thought so too.

But don't worry, I ain't gonna push no buttons. But it's nice to see you fess up for once.

If it helps your blood pressure to blame someone else, by all means..... I wouldn't want

something happening to you also....... be safe my friend.....

David G
08-21-2017, 11:56 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20914736_1147763932034492_6264628812299704558_n.jp g?oh=0b8dc5e5ed5ec172a1c967d8a8615d48&oe=5A2FB58A

skuthorp
08-22-2017, 01:41 AM
Given Ms Cyrus's participation in exposing a very dodgy land deal and a even dodgier politician in my neck of the woods I expect those are her values, but then the face doesn't really matter.

AlanMc
08-22-2017, 09:00 AM
if miley cyrus is the delivery vehicle for that message, then i'm going with RETURN TO SENDER.

Too Little Time
08-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Painting with such a broad brush tends to disparage a lot of good Republicans. It also gives cover to a lot of Democrats and independents who share some of those values.

The Democrats plus the independents account for 60-70% of the population. It is difficult to believe that they are not in part responsible for what the Republicans are blamed for.

Keep throwing the stones. Few will notice.

mmd
08-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Nobody paints with a broad brush in The Bilge, do they?

(Caution! Cynicism alert!)

CWSmith
08-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Painting with such a broad brush tends to disparage a lot of good Republicans.

Those same Republicans prioritized their values and supported Trump knowing what he was. They painted themselves.

Flying Orca
08-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Nobody paints with a broad brush in The Bilge, do they?
(Caution! Cynicism alert!)

Well, I tend to generalize from a single example, but everybody does that, right? :D

elf
08-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Who is Miley Cyrus and why is her lower jaw sticking out that way?

AlanMc
08-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Who is Miley Cyrus and why is her lower jaw sticking out that way?

there's a lot of slack in it.

SKIP KILPATRICK
08-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Why I'm not a Republican, because I had wonderful loving parents who taught me to follow a moral path.

They taught me social justice is the corner stone of any strong society. And they taught me that when FDR said "The only thing you have to fear is fear its self' he was right and that those words should be applied to daily life!

mmd
08-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Is that a real question, Emily? Seriously; do you not know whom Miley Cyrus is?

David G
08-22-2017, 02:08 PM
We seem to be unable to resist being distracted by irrelevancies. Here... try this --

https://pics.onsizzle.com/top-ten-reasons-im-not-a-republican-10-i-dont-25812316.png

elf
08-22-2017, 02:21 PM
Is that a real question, Emily? Seriously; do you not know whom Miley Cyrus is?
All I know about Miley Cyrus is that apparently it's a she, and her name keeps popping in in my various news feeds as though somehow she's important. But how and why I have no idea.

supermodel? Pop star? Someone who wears too little clothing and gets people all upset? No clue.

I have a roster of people I admire. You have probably never heard of them.

SKIP KILPATRICK
08-22-2017, 02:24 PM
I know her dad had an achy breaky heart!

jack grebe
08-22-2017, 02:26 PM
I know her dad had an achy breaky heart!:d:d:d

peb
08-22-2017, 02:38 PM
This thread makes me quite sad. I no longer self-identify as a republican, but not a one of those statements on the t-shirt applies. Do we really have to demonize all of our political opponents with such a broad brush? This crap gets us no where. Ok, you hate anyone who says he is a republican, now what?

I know lots of republicans, lots of them. I have a hard time of thinking of one who hates women, minorities, children, or gays. I can log onto the woodenboat forum on any given day and find democrats who hate republicans openly. Any given week, I can find a liberal on this forum who apparently hates people of religion.
There is more hatred shown on this forum that is shown by all the republicans I know combined.

ron ll
08-22-2017, 02:56 PM
If it makes you feel better, substitute the word fear for hate. The current leader of the Republican Party fears those things. And I fear the Republican Party.

Harry Miller
08-22-2017, 02:59 PM
All I know about Miley Cyrus is that apparently it's a she, and her name keeps popping in in my various news feeds as though somehow she's important. But how and why I have no idea.

supermodel? Pop star? Someone who wears too little clothing and gets people all upset? No clue.

I have a roster of people I admire. You have probably never heard of them.

+1 I don't know who she is either

SKIP KILPATRICK
08-22-2017, 03:12 PM
+1 I don't know who she is either

Maybe you might know her by her alter ego Hannah Montana? No, I'm guess not.

For what it is worth you two aren't missing anything!

mmd
08-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Emily, Miley Cyrus is an American country-pop singer and daughter of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus. She gained notoriety and thereby got 'noticed' by doing and wearing outrageous things in her public appearances, but seems to be toning that down recently. As can be seen from the photo posted above, she is pretty adamantly against the Republican party. As for the apparent under-bite, she does have a bit of one, but that photo is an unfortunate over-emphasis of it. Below is a photo of her that is a bit more flattering. No, I am not muc of a fan of her music, and you may be surprised at whom I may know of on your roster.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaTlSjyIgAAHx2a.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/09/16/18/3871F9B100000578-3793277-image-a-63_1474047918789.jpg

David G
08-22-2017, 03:16 PM
This thread makes me quite sad. I no longer self-identify as a republican, but not a one of those statements on the t-shirt applies. Do we really have to demonize all of our political opponents with such a broad brush? This crap gets us no where. Ok, you hate anyone who says he is a republican, now what?

I know lots of republicans, lots of them. I have a hard time of thinking of one who hates women, minorities, children, or gays. I can log onto the woodenboat forum on any given day and find democrats who hate republicans openly. Any given week, I can find a liberal on this forum who apparently hates people of religion.
There is more hatred shown on this forum that is shown by all the republicans I know combined.

I agree... it IS a sad thread. It's sad that the Republican party has come to this pass.

And I agree... this simple meme IS a broad brush.

You have read poorly, though, if you think it says that I, or anyone, 'hates Republicans'. 'Taint what i said. What I said was that the ugliness and hatred of Republicans is why I am not one, and haven't found one I was interested in supporting for decades.

The distinction is important... and you blew right thru it on your way to 'botthurt'. Maybe we should add another line: 'Because I like facts, data, and reading comprehension'?

But I agree... not every single Republican voter or sympathizer hates all the things on that list. A good number of them view themselves as 'good folks'. Many of them actually are.

And yet... and yet..

The Republican party of today is ALL of those things on the list. I know this because they have consistently supported and adopted policies that tell us so.

And all those 'good folks' who voted for them... who put them in a position to exemplify Acton's Dictum... they share the blame.

They bought the false narratives... allowed themselves to be bamboozled.

They turned a blind eye to Republican leaders actual behavior, and embraced the propaganda.

They allowed the wealthiest to take over and control too much of our electoral process. Gerrymandering things, for instance, to allow themselves elected representation far beyond their actual numbers in society.

They ignored the erosion of social values... or allowed themselves to be conned into believing it was the 'liberals, abortionists, blacks, gays, universal educationists, unions, feminists, environmentalists, and mexicans who were the root causes of same... instead of the inherent bugs to capitalism that simply needed attending to.

They refused to recognize that the government is US. You, me, and our representatives. Simply the best mechanism (for all its flaws) that we've managed to construct in order to further ourselves - instead swallowing the doomed libertarian notion that 'government is the problem' and that we should shrink it small enough we could 'drown it in a bathtub'.

Well... it's all coming to a head. D.Tramp is the pustular manifestation of it all. All his ignorance, bombast, bullying, and hatred.

That's you. Yes, YOU. He is your president. The Republican party elected him. You own him. And you are responsible for Nazis marching in the streets, and black churches being defaced and bombed, and all of it.

So I'll say it again - just so we're clear: I don't hate Republicans. But I sure as Sam Hill hate what Republicans have allowed your party to become. And you, the party, has earned every bit of that hatred. So don't expect me to be sympathetic when your feelings get hurt as the various transgressions, and your complicity in them, is pointed out.

You ask what now? I've been telling you what now since I first started posting at WBF. Here's a summary from early 2008 --

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?76079-Liberal-VS-Conservative-(-defined-)&p=1772742#post1772742

In a nutshell - admit you've been conned, and help us reverse the swing toward the excesses of laissez-faire capitalism, and bring it back into the normal range. That means addressing a ton of issues: dark money in elections; structural racism; the demonizing of government; the demonizing of unions; gratuitous privatization (prisons, etc, etc.); gerrymandering; the rollback of transparency laws... and sunset rules; voter suppression; crony capitalism; government corruption; a too-sheltered financial sector; the rollback of banking regulations; the attack on SSI and Medicare; military adventures that line the pockets of contractors while doing little or nothing to further the national interest; the sorry state of the VA; and so on. The list goes on and on. I'm sure you could add to it.

CWSmith
08-22-2017, 03:25 PM

peb, with all respect I have to ask you, "Aren't you the poster child for this thread?" You no longer identify as Republican. Isn't this because the party has left your core values?

A large fraction of the Republican Party no longer feels they are represented by Republican politics. But, they think the Democratic Party is worse and they vote Republican. That means they would rather have the current behavior than change their vote. The current behavior does not rise to the level of changing their fiscal policy, so they continue to empower people to attack health care, attack gays, attack minorities, and support the people who do it physically rather than with legislation.

Isn't this morally wrong? At the very least, doesn't it deserve a broad brush that says to them at the very least, "Your priorities are wrong!"?

I also have friends who are Republicans, but they can no longer in good conscience support the actions of the Republican Party. Aren't we called upon to make a choice based on our values and priorities? This may not make them a racist, but it certainly makes their commitment to equality very weak indeed.

David G
08-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Maybe what we need, peb, is a Readjuster Party -- http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?227437-Liberals-and-statues-r&p=5323083#post5323083

peb
08-22-2017, 05:30 PM
David, I don't have time for a detailed response, let me just say that making such sweeping and untrue and numerous accusations against any group certainly implies hate in my mind.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

David G
08-22-2017, 05:32 PM
David, I don't have time for a detailed response, let me just say that making such sweeping and untrue and numerous accusations against any group certainly implies hate in my mind.

As you will. I'm telling you flat out - that's sloppy thinking.

oznabrag
08-22-2017, 07:06 PM

. . .

Emily, Miley Cyrus is an American country-pop singer and daughter of country singer Billy Ray Cyrus. She gained notoriety and thereby got 'noticed' by doing and wearing outrageous things in her public appearances, but seems to be toning that down recently. As can be seen from the photo posted above, she is pretty adamantly against the Republican party. As for the apparent under-bite, she does have a bit of one, but that photo is an unfortunate over-emphasis of it. Below is a photo of her that is a bit more flattering. No, I am not muc of a fan of her music, and you may be surprised at whom I may know of on your roster.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BaTlSjyIgAAHx2a.jpghttp://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/09/16/18/3871F9B100000578-3793277-image-a-63_1474047918789.jpg

that girl sure has a mouth full of teeth!

I agree... it IS a sad thread. It's sad that the Republican party has come to this pass.

And I agree... this simple meme IS a broad brush.

You have read poorly, though, if you think it says that I, or anyone, 'hates Republicans'. 'Taint what i said. What I said was that the ugliness and hatred of Republicans is why I am not one, and haven't found one I was interested in supporting for decades.

The distinction is important... and you blew right thru it on your way to 'botthurt'. Maybe we should add another line: 'Because I like facts, data, and reading comprehension'?

But I agree... not every single Republican voter or sympathizer hates all the things on that list. A good number of them view themselves as 'good folks'. Many of them actually are.

And yet... and yet..

The Republican party of today is ALL of those things on the list. I know this because they have consistently supported and adopted policies that tell us so.

And all those 'good folks' who voted for them... who put them in a position to exemplify Acton's Dictum... they share the blame.

They bought the false narratives... allowed themselves to be bamboozled.

They turned a blind eye to Republican leaders actual behavior, and embraced the propaganda.

They allowed the wealthiest to take over and control too much of our electoral process. Gerrymandering things, for instance, to allow themselves elected representation far beyond their actual numbers in society.

They ignored the erosion of social values... or allowed themselves to be conned into believing it was the 'liberals, abortionists, blacks, gays, universal educationists, unions, feminists, environmentalists, and mexicans who were the root causes of same... instead of the inherent bugs to capitalism that simply needed attending to.

They refused to recognize that the government is US. You, me, and our representatives. Simply the best mechanism (for all its flaws) that we've managed to construct in order to further ourselves - instead swallowing the doomed libertarian notion that 'government is the problem' and that we should shrink it small enough we could 'drown it in a bathtub'.

Well... it's all coming to a head. D.Tramp is the pustular manifestation of it all. All his ignorance, bombast, bullying, and hatred.

That's you. Yes, YOU. He is your president. The Republican party elected him. You own him. And you are responsible for Nazis marching in the streets, and black churches being defaced and bombed, and all of it.

So I'll say it again - just so we're clear: I don't hate Republicans. But I sure as Sam Hill hate what Republicans have allowed your party to become. And you, the party, has earned every bit of that hatred. So don't expect me to be sympathetic when your feelings get hurt as the various transgressions, and your complicity in them, is pointed out.

You ask what now? I've been telling you what now since I first started posting at WBF. Here's a summary from early 2008 --

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?76079-Liberal-VS-Conservative-(-defined-)&p=1772742#post1772742

In a nutshell - admit you've been conned, and help us reverse the swing toward the excesses of laissez-faire capitalism, and bring it back into the normal range. That means addressing a ton of issues: dark money in elections; structural racism; the demonizing of government; the demonizing of unions; gratuitous privatization (prisons, etc, etc.); gerrymandering; the rollback of transparency laws... and sunset rules; voter suppression; crony capitalism; government corruption; a too-sheltered financial sector; the rollback of banking regulations; the attack on SSI and Medicare; military adventures that line the pockets of contractors while doing little or nothing to further the national interest; the sorry state of the VA; and so on. The list goes on and on. I'm sure you could add to it.

Mr. G, I think that in fairness and to be as explicit as possible, the formal name of this miscreant abomination, this anathema to self-governance, this unspeakable stain upon the good name and fine tradition that is the US, one should be careful to capitalize the initial letters of that name: the Republican Party.

In this way, one takes the focus off otherwise good folk who really don't know any better, and encourages examination of the hierarchy of that wretched organization so clearly bent on the destruction of the US.

peb, with all respect I have to ask you, "Aren't you the poster child for this thread?" You no longer identify as Republican. Isn't this because the party has left your core values?

A large fraction of the Republican Party no longer feels they are represented by Republican politics. But, they think the Democratic Party is worse and they vote Republican. That means they would rather have the current behavior than change their vote. The current behavior does not rise to the level of changing their fiscal policy, so they continue to empower people to attack health care, attack gays, attack minorities, and support the people who do it physically rather than with legislation.

Isn't this morally wrong? At the very least, doesn't it deserve a broad brush that says to them at the very least, "Your priorities are wrong!"?

I also have friends who are Republicans, but they can no longer in good conscience support the actions of the Republican Party. Aren't we called upon to make a choice based on our values and priorities? This may not make them a racist, but it certainly makes their commitment to equality very weak indeed.

Indeed.

Mr. peb, I don't hate Republicans, I hate the Republican Party.

Chip-skiff
08-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Keep throwing the stones. Few will notice.

If I got hit with a rock, I'd notice.

peb
08-22-2017, 07:58 PM
As you will. I'm telling you flat out - that's sloppy thinking.

Demonizing your opponent is a form of hate. That's not sloppy thinking, its a fact.

David G
08-22-2017, 10:46 PM
Demonizing your opponent is a form of hate. That's not sloppy thinking, its a fact.

As has been pointed out - I'm not demonizing you, your neighbor or your barber. I'm demonizing the R party. And the big-money interests who have so successfully transformed it. And the 'think tanks' full of 'scientists' of negotiable virtue who enabled them. And the politicians who catered to them. And the media 'personalities' who made their fortunes catering to ignorance, spreading false narratives, and fomenting anger and hatred.

And way down there - at the end of the list - I'm reminding you that everyone who allowed themselves to be conned shares some of the responsibility. Not the level of responsibility of the Koch Bros. Or Paul Ryan. Or Lee Atwater. Or Ronnie Reagan. Or Rush Limbaugh. Or Arthur Laffer. But some. It's important to recognize that small dollop of responsibility... because it's the first step in all y'all fighting back.

Think about it. That is... take some time. You seem to be flailing a bit. I'm not really attacking you, personally. I'm pointing out the patterns and the responsible parties.

oznabrag
08-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Mister G.
There is considerable evidence to suggest that naming the demon aids the victim in exorcising it.

The demon is not peb, or anyone he knows.

The culprit is the (watch me now) 'The Republican Party '

That is an accurate statement.

L.W. Baxter
08-22-2017, 11:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mjvfnUAfyo

peb
08-22-2017, 11:48 PM
. . .

that girl sure has a mouth full of teeth!

Mr. G, I think that in fairness and to be as explicit as possible, the formal name of this miscreant abomination, this anathema to self-governance, this unspeakable stain upon the good name and fine tradition that is the US, one should be careful to capitalize the initial letters of that name: the Republican Party.

In this way, one takes the focus off otherwise good folk who really don't know any better, and encourages examination of the hierarchy of that wretched organization so clearly bent on the destruction of the US.

Indeed.

Mr. peb, I don't hate Republicans, I hate the Republican Party.
You guys need to learn basic logic. Go back and read the T-shirt and the title of the thread:. "why I am not Republicans...because I don't....". Ergo, if I was a republican i would hate..., Ergo Republicans (not the party, but the membets) go. If it wasn't about Republicans, the word "I" in the title would be meaningless.

Joe (SoCal)
08-23-2017, 12:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mjvfnUAfyo

Example of Talent, incase you old fogies missed it. ;)

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
08-23-2017, 12:28 AM
Paris is hotter than Miley.

http://media1.picsearch.com/is?HxH2Mvp1rwWd0deDcuNQLQNGRuGS-Y_mTuDe4CbLw4A&height=255

Joe (SoCal)
08-23-2017, 12:40 AM
Paris is hotter than Miley.

http://media1.picsearch.com/is?HxH2Mvp1rwWd0deDcuNQLQNGRuGS-Y_mTuDe4CbLw4A&height=255

WAS and evidently less talented than Miley

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vkOJhGP387g/maxresdefault.jpg

Getting a little long in the tooth these days IMHO ;)

Gerarddm
08-23-2017, 08:19 AM
^ Our current president fantasized about tapping her when she was ten.

I used to work with an older guy during Dubya's era who was quite conservative ( he thought Newt would have been a great president ), but we always had calm, reflective political discussions. I have a current friend who is conservative and is a Mormon to boot, yet we bond over wooden boats and get along grandly even when we occasionally talk politics. In both cases we are talking about men who are leery of wild eyed fanatics. The second gentleman did not like the 2016 campaign from either candidate and wrote in somebody else. While I completely disagree with their political leanings, they both have a coherent worldview that they can cogently explain without descent into spittle-flecked nonsense.

This is in no way alters my opinion that, generally, Republucans are a clear and present danger to the health, wealth and happiness of this country, and why for a number of years I have advocated next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

You can call it hatred. It's a point of view, sure.

peb
08-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Gerarddm, there is a big difference between your last post and the OP and title of this thread. That should be obvious.

Too Little Time
08-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Those same Republicans prioritized their values and supported Trump knowing what he was. They painted themselves.
Some people here make a distinction between the Republican party and Republicans in general. It is a confusing distinction. It is more confusing to me since I paint the both the Democratic party and Democrats as well as the Republican party and Republicans with the same brush.

Yet, I understand there are good people in both parties. They just have opinions and goals I don't agree with.

I think we should improve the schools for the poor and for minorities. I think we should ask the poor and minorities what help they want rather than giving them what the rich posing as middle class want. But I don't expect to see any movement in that direction.

oznabrag
08-23-2017, 09:31 AM
You guys need to learn basic logic. Go back and read the T-shirt and the title of the thread:. "why I am not Republicans...because I don't....". Ergo, if I was a republican i would hate..., Ergo Republicans (not the party, but the membets) go. If it wasn't about Republicans, the word "I" in the title would be meaningless.

Mister peb, I can not speak for Ms. Cyrus OR the person who Photoshopped that t-shirt onto her pic.

I CAN tell you that the Republican Party is run by people who sell fear, hate and lies, and I can tell you that the 22% of US citizens who voted for the Cheeto Jesus buy all those ratfreakers can make, and clamor desperately for more.

The Republican Party is a despicable, anti-American, criminal gang, at this point, and they have elected their ideal champion to destroy the US government.

Now, no doubt when you joined that Party it was different, but today it is a racist, greed-driven, seditious mob of insurgent, anti-Constitutional political vandals, who are willing to disenfranchise people who are likely to vote against them.

They are amoral and untrustworthy and they are incompetent governors.

I don't think you fit in with them, anymore, and I think there are a WHOLE LOT of people in the same situation as you.

ron ll
08-23-2017, 10:14 AM
You guys need to learn basic logic. Go back and read the T-shirt and the title of the thread:. "why I am not Republicans...because I don't....". Ergo, if I was a republican i would hate.

Geez. Talk about an error in basic logic, your ergo from this is not "if I was a Republican I would hate", but rather 'if I hated I would be a Republican'.

David G
08-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Geez. Talk about an error in basic logic, your ergo from this is not "if I was a Republican I would hate", but rather 'if I hated I would be a Republican'.

Ain't it a hoot. Having logic 'mansplained' by one who foregoes it?!?!?

David G
01-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Because I believe women deserve to vote as much as men deserve to vote. Pretty basic... right?

Apparently not for some Republicans. Here's one who done some studying up, and believes that allowing anyone not 'head of household' to vote... is a mistake. --

https://thinkprogress.org/utah-gop-official-grave-mistake-854206a69f40/

“The more I study history, the more I think giving voting rights to others not head of household has been a grave mistake,” Casey Fisher, a Davis County precinct chair who oversees Republican caucuses in his district, wrote on Sunday.

David G
01-17-2018, 11:07 PM
Because I don't have Authoritarian tendencies?

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2018/01/17/newt-gingrich-reporters-who-dont-meet-hostility-standard-should-be-removed-white-house-press-corps/219090

David G
01-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Because I don't support racists. And neither does this young ex-Republican. At least not anymore --

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/emerging-gop-leader-virginia-abruptly-quits-republican-party-because-trumps-racism#overlay-context=news-amp-politics/usa-today-editorial-board-calls-trump-inveterate-liar-and-blasts-republicans

“I’m totally out." That's what 28-year-old Republican activist Kyle McDaniel, who served on the party’s state central committee for two years, told the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc-politics/young-virginia-gop-leader-quits-party-over-trumps-tweets/2018/01/16/134c75b6-faef-11e7-b832-8c26844b74fb_story.html?utm_term=.0ae6aaae6534) after President Donald Trump's leaked remarks calling African nations "sh*thole countries" and questioning why we should welcome more Haitian immigrants.

McDaniel has volunteered in Haiti with his church and considered adopting a child from the region with his wife.

“I have, on more occasions than I care to recall, been forced to ‘bite my tongue’ when in conversation with other party leaders about the issues of the day,” McDaniel wrote in his resignation letter to state party leaders. “I cannot in good faith continue to do that.”

skuthorp
01-17-2018, 11:42 PM
Re Ms Cyrus. She was responsible locally for a bent conservative politician doing a dodgy land rezoning for a party crony getting a good kick where it most hurt and the deal falling through very publicly.

David G
01-19-2018, 12:45 AM
Because I don't support appointing sexist, racist, ignorant, hateful azszhats to public office.

Trump appointee resigns over history of amazingly ugly comments --

http://fox61.com/2018/01/18/trump-appointee-carl-higbie-resigns-after-review-of-racist-sexist-anti-muslim-and-anti-lgbt-comments-on-the-radio/

David G
01-19-2018, 02:27 PM
Because I wouldn't resort to sending (probably illegal) cease & desist orders to citizens who called my office to disagree with me. Even if they were rude... or vulgar... or disagreeable.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tom-cottons-office-sends-cease-and-desist-letters-after-staff-subjected-to-repeatedharassing-and-vulgar-communications/article/2646341

David G
01-19-2018, 08:47 PM

Because I don't like being stuck in the dark --

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26195348_574270776242908_2572371192686846282_n.jpg ?oh=d9077cbcc7e37a8bc2e7efbaba9dc6b7&oe=5AF0B4DE

David G
01-19-2018, 09:23 PM

Because I don't need assault rifles in my collection --

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-9/26734030_10215347921962368_5425395263738855752_n.j pg?oh=5798fe58345b89eec171e86d2981f8c1&oe=5AF9A4B5

David G
01-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Because I don't believe in imposing my religion... or any religion... on others?

Way to GO S. Dakota

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/gop-lawmaker-proposes-one-year-in-jail-for-anyone-replicating-south-dakota-state-seal-without-reference-to-god/

David G
01-22-2018, 10:43 AM
Because I don't want to have to resort to anti-democratic gaming of the system in lieu of actually winning with the voters. One example from Dallas --

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/01/21/dallas-county-republicans-file-lawsuit-kick-128-democrats-election-ballot

David G
01-22-2018, 12:18 PM
So... why are YOU not a Republican?

AlanMc
01-22-2018, 01:03 PM
So... why are YOU not a Republican?

who are you talking to? you're the only one posting in here.

David G
01-22-2018, 01:30 PM

Because I don't believe in tellin' lies, and do believe in factual accuracy.

You do know that over a dozen other folks have posted here, some multiple times... right? Including you, today. So quit lying, ok? <G>

David G
01-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Actual movement. Government reopened. Because the Democrats agreed to a compromise on a 3-week stopgap funding measure, in return for agreement that their 'dreamer' concerns would be addressed during that time. Hooray!!! See... there ARE adults in the room.

So why wouldn't I be a Republican?

Because I wouldn't have a deputy press secretary on staff who responds - not with grace and congratulations all around... but by saying, "They blinked".

https://www.yahoo.com/news/senate-talks-fall-short-shutdown-064833570.html

David G
01-22-2018, 02:51 PM

Because I don't want to belong to 'the most dangerous organization in American history'??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?233830-Democracy-s-end&p=5457139#post5457139

But hey... tell ya what. If you don't like my calling out the R's like this - why don't you pick one of my posts you think is actually inaccurate, or isn't a reason to eschew involvement with the Republican Party, and start a thread to correct me.

Or... alternately... and assuming you can find some collection of factual reasons or objectionable actions... feel free to start a similar thread about the Democratic Party.

David G
01-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Because - if elected to public office - I wouldn't expose some of my constituents Social Security numbers in an attempt to make a (bogus) political point?

https://thinkprogress.org/kobach-crosscheck-breach-d3fe7368a9fd/

David G
01-22-2018, 08:24 PM
Because I like pizza??

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26904124_554631508254973_7475392549324247066_n.png ?oh=49ac7380fed620218b997d67bb5ef56c&oe=5ADFE5DA

David G
01-24-2018, 01:19 AM
Because I honor the constitution, and don't like tin-pot tyrants and propaganda?

https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/08/daily-chart-0?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/attitudestowardsthemainstreammediatakeanunconstitu tionalturn

https://cdn.static-economist.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/640-width/20170805_WOC666_0.png

IT IS long-standing Republican tradition to deride the national media and its liberal tendencies. Despite that, the words of Lamar Smith, a Republican representative from Texas, delivered four days into Donald Trump’s presidency on the House floor, managed to stand out. “Better to get your news directly from the president,” he told his colleagues. “In fact, it might be the only way to get the unvarnished truth.” Across the country Republicans seem to be taking the edict to heart.

The Economist asked YouGov, our pollster, to survey 1,500 Americans about the trust they placed in the president compared with national media outlets. When Republicans were asked whether they trusted Mr Trump more than the New York Times, the Washington Post or CNN, at least 70% sided with the president each time. Less than 15% chose the media outlet (the rest were unsure). Republicans also preferred Trump truths over those of the Weekly Standard and the National Review, conservative magazines with intellectual pedigrees. Only with Fox News, the administration’s preferred outlet, were Republicans even somewhat torn: 23% said they trusted the network more, compared with 54% who stuck with Mr Trump.

David G
01-25-2018, 04:42 PM
Because I believe both men and women should choose their own life and career paths?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-senate-candidate-feminism-apos-182400014.html

A conservative US Senate candidate from Missouri (http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/Missouri) has sparked outcry after bashing feminists (http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/Feminism) and saying he expects his wife to cook him dinner by 6pm every night.

Republican Courtland Sykes posted a statement to Facebook in response to questions about his stance on women’s rights. In the post, he said his wife had “ordered” him to respect women’s rights, but she knows that “I want to come home to a home-cooked dinner at six every night – one that she fixes and one that I expect one day to have daughters learn to fix after they become traditional homemakers and family wives”.

The candidate expanded on what he expected of his daughters, saying he didn't want them to grow up into "career obsessed banshees who forego home life and children and the happiness of family to become nail-biting manophobic[sic] hell-bent feminist she devils who shriek from the tops of a thousand tall buildings they think they could have leaped over in a single bound – had men not ‘suppressing them’."

Mr Sykes criticised what he called “mean-spirited radical feminists”, and claimed millennial women don’t respect former First Lady and Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton (http://www.independent.co.uk/topic/HillaryClinton) because of her “personal life’s wreckage”.

“I don’t buy into radical feminists’ crazed definition of modern womanhood and I never did,” he wrote.

David G
01-25-2018, 04:52 PM
Because I'm not willing to loudly proclaim my Christian beliefs... then go on a talk show and misrepresent the Bible, thru my ignorance of it??

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-gets-christianity-lesson-cnn-180417464.html

Flying Orca
01-25-2018, 04:53 PM
I think that at this point, "because I have a functioning conscience" is sufficient.

David G
01-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Because I'm not willing to hold up my own ignorance as excellence, and pervert science to promote an ideological or religious misinterpretation??

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/1/25/16919362/understanding-the-fake-historian-behind-americas-religious-right

David G
01-25-2018, 05:28 PM
I think that at this point, "because I have a functioning conscience" is sufficient.

Ahhh... but don't I WISH it were sufficient. Sufficient to convince the blinkered to wake up. Sufficient to convince those who know better, but don't vote... to get out and vote. Sufficient to begin the long overdue correction away from all of the dysfunction and ills inherent to the surrender to laissez-faire capitalism.

And yet... we still have 'conservatives' laboring under the weight of misconceptions, misunderstanding, and the urge to take offense wherever the hint of the ghost of the slightest excuse can be found. Meandering under the spell of those who have worked to long, and so effectively, to confuse them. Still posting things like this --

Gerarddm, there is a big difference between your last post and the OP and title of this thread. That should be obvious.

peb - have you seen the error yet? You certainly haven't attempted to defend it further. I'm assuming that's because you realize you can't. But neither have I seen an acknowledgement of your error. Seems like you should be doing one or the other, eh? Either defending your honor... or displaying it <G>

---------------------

A while back - I suggested a strategy to more productively express your pique than making obviously untrue disparaging comments. Are you now researching an issue I've mentioned here, in preparation for critiquing one of my posts? Haven't seen anything yet. Should I be watching out for it?

------------

But, Flying Orca, you are likely right in your larger meaning. Pointing out the endless stream of dysfunction, lies, perfidy, treasonous leanings, and general loud foolishness probably gains no converts. But I know their foundations are built on sandstone, and buttressed by continual application of bs. My faint hope is that the endless raining down upon them of facts, corrections, and lampoonage... will eventually help in some small way to breach the defenses of their cognitive dissonance.

David G
01-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Because I wouldn't countenance this??

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?233955-Wisconsin-Republicans-at-it-again&p=5460407#post5460407

David G
01-26-2018, 12:37 PM
Because I'm just not capable of the gymnastic-level of contortions required. I'd give this one a 9.2 --

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26815574_214976665741449_5332787396806766574_n.jpg ?oh=7119f97de45f24ab7df844409acecd37&oe=5ADABED1

CORRECTION -- Snopes says this one is FALSE. My bad!!

Another reason I'm not a Republican - I don't mind correcting myself and apologizing... and believe that 'doubling down' is foolish. And WAY too much work.

David G
02-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Because I'm not inclined to assault a student for failing to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance - which, btw, is perfectly within his right --

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/teacher-assaulted-student-not-standing-pledge-allegiance-215614806.html

David G
02-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Because I wouldn't want to crash the stock market?