PDA

View Full Version : My friend is just back from vacation in England...

CWSmith
08-21-2017, 01:15 PM
..and he said the people were wonderful. Everyone was polite and overly respectful. They were hesitant to ask, "What is wrong with you people in America?" and did it in the most respectful way.

Moral of the story: Americans have lost their civility and their brains, largely at the same time. That's just my opinion. However, it is possible to live differently. Others are doing it. Why don't we?

Peerie Maa
08-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Where did he visit?
I hope that he enjoyed the sights and the pubs as well.

George Jung
08-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Ah, yes - the pubs. I (sorta) remember them fondly.... one of the highlights of our trip. *sigh*

John of Phoenix
08-21-2017, 01:33 PM
We were in Lisbon and Porto, Portugal last month and were treated like royalty everywhere we went. Everyone had a laugh at donald. Spectacular food, BTW. We had 21 different kinds of seafood.

Same in Dublin, Ireland though one cabby was... less than amused by SCROTUS. He kept comparing him to his ex and her mother. The guy was hilarious.

CWSmith
08-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Where did he visit?
I hope that he enjoyed the sights and the pubs as well.

He visited several places, starting in London and then Dover and up through the northern part of England. He was especially keen that he visited the town where Doc Martin is filmed. Yes, he visited the pubs and enjoyed driving on what sounds like some amazingly narrow roads. He had a hard time getting used to the other drivers being courteous, but enjoyed it.

Peerie Maa
08-21-2017, 01:55 PM
He visited several places, starting in London and then Dover and up through the northern part of England. He was especially keen that he visited the town where Doc Martin is filmed. Yes, he visited the pubs and enjoyed driving on what sounds like some amazingly narrow roads. He had a hard time getting used to the other drivers being courteous, but enjoyed it.

Yep, some of our minor roads are a bit gnarley. I spent the first part of my formative years near Dover. Sadly Kent is so overrun by traffic now my main recollection is of dust.

CWSmith
08-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Yep, some of our minor roads are a bit gnarley.

He loved them! Although, he was concerned about going around a blind turn when the entire 2-way road was 8 feet wide. :)

Peerie Maa
08-21-2017, 02:34 PM
^ :d :d :d

Rum_Pirate
08-21-2017, 02:56 PM
We were in Lisbon and Porto, Portugal last month and were treated like royalty everywhere we went. Everyone had a laugh at donald. Spectacular food, BTW. We had 21 different kinds of seafood.

Same in Dublin, Ireland though one cabby was... less than amused by SCROTUS. He kept comparing him to his ex and her mother. The guy was hilarious.

Reminds me of :

A man walks out to the street and catches a taxi just going by. He gets into the taxi, and the cabbie says, "Perfect timing. You're just like Frank." (https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/5zpvgq/a_man_walks_out_to_the_street_and_catches_a_taxi/)

Passenger: "Who?"

Cabbie: "Frank Feldman. He's a guy who did everything right all the time. Like my coming along when you needed a cab, things happened like that to Frank Feldman every single time."

Passenger: "There are always a few clouds over everybody."

Cabbie: "Not Frank Feldman. He was a terrific athlete. He could have won the Grand-Slam at tennis. He could golf with the pros. He sang like an opera baritone and danced like a Broadway star and you should have heard him play the piano. He was an amazing guy."

Passenger: "Sounds like he was really something special."

Cabbie: "There's more. He had a memory like a computer. He remembered everybody's birthday. He knew all about wine, which foods to order and which fork to eat them with. He could fix anything. Not like me. I change a fuse, and the whole street blacks out. But Frank Feldman could do everything right.”

Passenger: "Wow, what a guy!"

Cabbie: "He always knew the quickest way to go in traffic and avoid traffic jams. Not like me, I always seem to get stuck in them. But Frank, he never made a mistake, and he really knew how to treat a woman and make her feel good. He would never answer her back even if she was in the wrong; and his clothing was always immaculate, shoes highly polished too. He was the perfect man! He never made a mistake. No one could ever measure up to Frank Feldman."

Passenger: "How did you meet him?"

Cabbie: "I never actually met Frank. He died and I married his wife."

Peerie Maa
08-21-2017, 03:00 PM
^ Now that was funny.

CWSmith
08-21-2017, 03:46 PM
^^ :) :)

BrianW
08-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Moral of the story: Americans have lost their civility and their brains, largely at the same time. That's just my opinion. However, it is possible to live differently. Others are doing it. Why don't we?

Yes they have. Travel is good for learning.