PDA

View Full Version : Van plows into a crowd in Barcelona

SKIP KILPATRICK
08-17-2017, 12:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/17/europe/barcelona-spain-van-latest/index.html

August 17, 2017 5:50pm CEST

August 17, 2017 5:50pm CEST
What we know so far

A van has plowed into a crowd of people in Barcelona, killing one and injuring 32.
The number is "bound to rise" according to local officials.
Local Police have confirmed that the incident was a terror attack.
Incident took place near the Las Ramblas area, which is popular with tourists.
Police have told people to avoid the area.
Catalan emergency services have requested the closure of metro and train stations in the vicinity, according to Reuters.

SKIP KILPATRICK
08-17-2017, 12:57 PM
My thoughts and heart go out to the people of Spain.

Skip

mmd
08-17-2017, 01:04 PM
Yes, another terrible event. My sympathies to the victims and their families.

I wonder which group was responsible - ISIS, ETA, some new crowd, or just a self-radicalized lone wolf....

birlinn
08-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Daily Mirror now reporting 13 dead, and armed men holding hostages in restaurant.

Peerie Maa
08-17-2017, 01:15 PM

I wonder which group was responsible - ISIS, ETA, some new crowd, or just a self-radicalized lone wolf....

Murderer fled on foot, not yet found.
I think that ETA has calmed down somewhat now, According to Wikki they have disarmed.

Peerie Maa
08-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Beeb now reports one arrest, but not confirmed that it is the driver.

mmd
08-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Nick, that assessment of the ETA is my understanding, too.

SKIP KILPATRICK
08-17-2017, 01:47 PM
From the Spanish Government: 13 killed over 50 injured

Peerie Maa
08-17-2017, 01:51 PM
The latest from the BeeB

At least 13 people have died and 50 were injured after a van ploughed into crowds in Barcelona's famous Las Ramblas tourist area, police and local officials say.
The vehicle sped along the pedestrian area, mowing down people and sending others fleeing for cover. Police are treating the incident as terrorism.
Later they said a man had been arrested in connection with the attack.
Witnesses said the van had deliberately targeted people before stopping.
Spanish media reports said the driver of the vehicle - a white Fiat that had been rented in the city - had fled on foot.
But police denied earlier reports of two suspected attackers being holed up in a bar in the city centre.
Local authorities in the small town of Vic in Catalonia say police have cordoned off the area and are inspecting another van amid suggestions it may have been used as a getaway vehicle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40965581

ERGR
08-17-2017, 02:41 PM
My first reaction is that it's likely to be a muslim terrorist, ISIL or a lone wolf. On second thought it might also be some wacko figting his own war against muslims and immigrants, Anders Bering Breivik of Norway comes to mind. A resurrected ETA fighting for regional independence has also been mentioned. The whole attack is so utterly pointless when the result is believed to serve causes that are in total oppsoition to each other, depending on who committed the crime.

Erik

Peerie Maa
08-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Latest from the BeeB

The head of the Catalan region said two people had been arrested.
Spanish media are reporting another suspect died in a shootout. El Mundo newspaper said the shootout happened in Sant Just Lesvern, on the outskirts of the city.

Police have released a photo of a man named as Driss Oubakir, who is alleged to have rented the van used to drive into pedestrians.
Local media say he is in his 20s, and was born in Morocco. It is unclear if he is one of those arrested.

Daesh have claimed it as theirs.

mmd
08-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Sadly expected. Not going to help anything, anybody, anywhere. Just a waste of time, treasure, and lives.

Lew Barrett
08-17-2017, 03:57 PM
We're going to Spain in November. This won't change that, but it's just so sad and angering to see vans become weapons against random innocents. .

Peerie Maa
08-17-2017, 05:02 PM
Some more from the BeeB

Was there a second attack?Police have confirmed two police officers were run over by a vehicle at a checkpoint. There is no evidence to suggest this was linked to the Ramblas attack.
However, police have linked the Ramblas attack to an explosion on Wednesday night which completely destroyed a house, left one person dead and seven more with injuries.
The house, in Alcanar, about 125 miles (200km) south of Barcelona, was filled with bottles of propane and butane, Spanish newspaper El Pais reported (in Spanish) (https://elpais.com/ccaa/2017/08/17/catalunya/1502951827_794671.html).
Who carried out the attack?Two people have been arrested in connection with the incident, one born in Morocco and one born in the Spanish enclave of Melilla, north Africa.
Police also released a picture of the man who allegedly rented the van. However, local media have since reported the man - named as Driss Oukabir - has handed himself in to police and told them his papers were stolen and used without his knowledge.
Police chief Josep Lluís Trapero said neither of the men arrested were the driver.
Spain's national public broadcaster RTVE has also reported that the vehicle used was rented in the city. (http://www.rtve.es/noticias/)
A second van linked to the attack has been found in the small town of Vic, north of Barcelona, local authorities said.
The Islamic State militant group claimed the perpetrator was one of their "soldiers" in a release sent out via their self-styled news agency, Amaq.
However, they have offered no proof of this.

BrianW
08-17-2017, 06:08 PM

I've learned in the Bilge that nothing is amiss in Europe. No terrorism or stuff like that to be alarmed over. Standby, and someone will be along to post crime stats in the USA to prove it.

George Jung
08-17-2017, 06:48 PM
Nasty cynicism, BrianW. That's unfortunate.

BrianW
08-17-2017, 07:10 PM
Nasty cynicism, BrianW. That's unfortunate.

Hey! Don't shoot the messenger!

Reynard38
08-17-2017, 07:41 PM
I've learned in the Bilge that nothing is amiss in Europe. No terrorism or stuff like that to be alarmed over. Standby, and someone will be along to post crime stats in the USA to prove it.

Nothing that isn't "amiss" here as well. Daesh is just better at it than a bunch of flag draped, inbred, hill scoggins.