PDA

View Full Version : toothache

jonboy
08-14-2017, 06:01 PM
Broken tooth or filling fallen out not sure, but niggly and mildly painful toothache...off shore for four or five days, cant see dentist til next monday. just time to get to a pharmacy first thing in the morning and don' really want to rely on standard analgaesics like profens and paracetamol. Voltaren Sodium diclorofenac works well but I dont want to munch them for the next five days.....any tips for a localised painkiller to put on the affected tooth área or natural aids, cloves, etc.....
Thanks.

sharpiefan
08-14-2017, 06:14 PM
I had to use Orajel (active ingredient: benzocaine) for a few days...works pretty well, but don't miss & get it on your tongue -- it tastes awful. Here are some home remedies from their website (LINK) (http://www.orajel.com/en/Toothache-Pain-Relief)

Clove Oil - You can soak a cotton ball in this natural pain reliever and bite down with the painful tooth.Caution: cloves are also a fairly strong spice and may result in burns to the gum.

Saltwater - Mix a few teaspoons of table salt in a glass of warm water and swish it around in your mouth as long as you can stand it (but don't swallow it). The salt and heat together may provide some pain relief.

Food-Based Home Remedies for Toothaches

Certain foods are also known home remedies for toothaches. These include:
Garlic - Chewing on a clove of garlic is a time-honored remedy.
Onions - Chop a fresh onion and hold it inside the mouth.
Lime/Lemon Juice - Take a fresh lime or lemon and cut it into small slices. Bite into the slice if it's not too painful.

Good luck!

Stiletto
08-14-2017, 06:20 PM
Get a clove from the spice rack at a grocery. Wedge it in next to the cavity. They are pretty effective at numbing toothache.

jack grebe
08-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Sincere sympathy, that is no fun.... Orajel as mentioned works temporarily, but when you have nerve pain, even temporary relief is welcomed..... Aside from that, maybe you can find a few leftovers in the med. cabinet....... No rules for pain........

Rum_Pirate
08-14-2017, 06:42 PM
My sincere sympathies.

I took paracetamol when I had severe toothache. Took a while to act, but I could hardly wait for the next dose 4(?) hours later.

ron ll
08-14-2017, 06:46 PM
Whiskey. Hold a mouthful over the tooth.

bob winter
08-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Scotch!

jack grebe
08-14-2017, 06:50 PM

I remember doing that as a teen........ Mom and Dad were not amused when they got home.........

Vince Brennan
08-14-2017, 06:50 PM

You forgo! repeet ash neshecarr...y (?)

Glen Longino
08-14-2017, 06:59 PM
SENSODYNE toothpaste has worked for me.
Brush it on the tooth or rub it on with a finger as often as necessary.

PeterSibley
08-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Ibuprofen works for me, cloves too.

Todd Bradshaw
08-14-2017, 08:07 PM
If it's broken or missing a filling, then the above may help. The ones which are the result of infection are a different story and nothing seems to do much good other than a root canal. Got a Dremmel? Just kidding. You have my sympathies. I have had toothaches that were much worse than any pain I felt after open heart surgery, even without the meds they made me take.

Garret
08-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Toothaches suck. Another vote for Orajel - starts working in seconds. If no pharmacy nearby, liquor held in the mouth over the tooth will help. Non-sweet liquor is best - much as I love rum, the sugar in it did not help!

Ted Hoppe
08-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Plus - Rinse with hydrogen peroxide and watch for infection. If you have antibiotics, you might consider taking them as a precaution to avoid serious debilitating complications.

jonboy
08-15-2017, 06:49 AM
OK guys all good stuff....armed with a mix of strong cloves infusion, some lidocaine and another anaesthetic gel from the pharmacy. No booze on the boat at sea, so the whiskey has to wait....! Thanks all