How are assault weapons a good idea...anybody want to explain this?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shang
    • Sep 2000

How are assault weapons a good idea...anybody want to explain this?

Watching the white supremacist protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia this morning. Clubs, ball bats, brass knuckles, thrown water bottles, tear gas, and milling crowds of Neo-nazis, KKK, and Black Lives and White Lives protestors. In the middle of an obvious riot men are seen carrying assault weapons...Virginia is an Open-carry state, but how is it a good idea to permit guns in a situation like this?
  • Peerie Maa
    Old Grey Inquisitive One
    • Oct 2008

Re: How are assault weapons a good idea...anybody want to explain this?

Originally posted by Shang
    Watching the white supremacist protesters in Charlottesville, Virginia this morning. Clubs, ball bats, brass knuckles, thrown water bottles, tear gas, and milling crowds of Neo-nazis, KKK, and Black Lives and White Lives protestors. In the middle of an obvious riot men are seen carrying assault weapons...Virginia is an Open-carry state, but how is it a good idea to permit guns in a situation like this?
    Because you are governed by halfwits and the majority of your country-folk can't see any problem?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• CWSmith
      New Hampshire
      • Nov 2008

Pretty soon the usual gun enthusiasts will be along to tell you there is no such thing as an assault rifle.

OK. I'll buy that. So, when is it a good thing to allow any guns into a scene like that? It isn't.
      "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• McMike
        • Oct 2009

At this point, we liberals should consider the danger we're putting ourselves in by not owning some kind of firearm.
        In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Comment

• jack grebe
          Misunderstood
          • Feb 2001

Originally posted by McMike
          At this point, we liberals should consider the danger we're putting ourselves in by not owning some kind of firearm.
          I whole heartedly agree....... The issue is not so much when open carry is allowed, but where and by whom..... I don't personally agree That a protest/demonstration is the most intelligent place, but
          you cannot legislate common sense.
          Last edited by jack grebe; 08-12-2017, 01:36 PM.
          Originally posted by George Jung
          Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Comment

• Reynard38
            • Sep 2009

Open carry is a really, REALLY dumb idea, no matter what type of firearm it is. It's not about protection, it's about making a statement. A dumb one.
            Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Comment

• PhaseLockedLoop
              • Apr 2010

Originally posted by CWSmith
              Pretty soon the usual gun enthusiasts will be along to tell you there is no such thing as an assault rifle.
              I'm not aware that anyone says there's no such thing as an assault rifle.
              The Case is Altered

Comment

• Gerarddm
                #RESIST
                • Feb 2010

Well, they are a damn good idea on an actual battlefield.

That's it.
                Gerard>
                Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                  Old Grey Inquisitive One
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by jack grebe
                  I whole heartedly agree....... The issue is not so much when open carry is allowed, but where and by whom..... I don't personally agree That a protest/demonstration is the most intelligent place, but
                  But you can and should legislate to prevent the negative effects of stupidity.

Comment

• Phillip Allen
                    • May 2002

Originally posted by PhaseLockedLoop
                    I'm not aware that anyone says there's no such thing as an assault rifle.
                    the term was invented by a news writer seeking sensationalism and to frighten people
                    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
                    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Comment

• ishmael
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2000

Phillip has it right, sort of. I consider "assault weapon" to be a matter of cosmetics, ie something that has military looking cosmetics but is actually a rifle with a semi-automatic action capable of firing one round with each pull of the trigger. Such actions are common in rifles, shotguns and hand guns which don't have the cosmetics, and hence don't raise quite so much ire.

I don't know any current military that uses a semi-automatic action in their main infantry rifle. True military rifles these days are select fire, meaning they can fire both semi and full auto. That said, a very common carbine of the Viet Cong was the SKS, which was(is) semi-auto. It's main virtues were twofold:they were cheap to make, and you could wrap them in canvas, bury them for a year, dig 'em up, throw a little oil at them, and they'd function. Not bad virtues for a guerrilla force!

That's my take on the semantic confusion around the term assault weapon. As to the open carry issue... The U.S. state of Vermont has always had open carry, yet has low gun violence rates, probably because it's a largely rural state with a long tradition of gun culture and hunting. Carrying open in a demonstration, by any yahoo group, is clearly an act of intimidation. What to do about it? I imagine this would take the amendment of laws(always a hot button) maintaining current carry laws but restricting them in permitted, large demonstrations.

Comment

• Sky Blue
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2014

how is this a good idea
                        It isn't. But the government and police will not defend the citizens' right to peaceably assemble, something the Antifa bunch has figured out.

So long as the authorities fail to support and defend the Constitutional rights of citizens, you will see more and more guns.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                          Old Grey Inquisitive One
                          • Oct 2008

Nice deflection.
                          Originally posted by ishmael
                          Phillip has it right, sort of. I consider "assault weapon" to be a matter of cosmetics, ie something that has military looking cosmetics but is actually a rifle with a semi-automatic action capable of firing one round with each pull of the trigger. Such actions are common in rifles, shotguns and hand guns which don't have the cosmetics, and hence don't raise quite so much ire.

I don't know any current military that uses a semi-automatic action in their main infantry rifle. True military rifles these days are select fire, meaning they can fire both semi and full auto. That said, a very common carbine of the Viet Cong was the SKS, which was(is) semi-auto. It's main virtues were twofold:they were cheap to make, and you could wrap them in canvas, bury them for a year, dig 'em up, throw a little oil at them, and they'd function. Not bad virtues for a guerrilla force!

That's my take on the semantic confusion around the term assault weapon. As to the open carry issue... The U.S. state of Vermont has always had open carry, yet has low gun violence rates, probably because it's a largely rural state with a long tradition of gun culture and hunting. Carrying open in a demonstration, by any yahoo group, is clearly an act of intimidation. What to do about it? I imagine this would take the amendment of laws(always a hot button) maintaining current carry laws but restricting them in permitted, large demonstrations.
                          However this is the issue:
                          Originally posted by Shang
                          Virginia is an Open-carry state, but how is it a good idea to permit guns in a situation like this?

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                            Ancient Mariner
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by jack grebe
                            It wasn't meant to be just a protest, these racists came to RUMBLE. the First AMENDMENT was just their excuse.

Comment

• McMike
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Reynard38
                              Open carry is a really, REALLY dumb idea, no matter what type of firearm it is. It's not about protection, it's about making a statement. A dumb one.
                              I agree 100%
                              In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Comment

Working...