PDA

View Full Version : Survivalists.....Then and Now.

Hallam
08-06-2017, 11:22 PM
Ok, so we had the books, seed banks, and a few interesting doco's in the 70's about impending social collapse or the aftermath of WW3.
Now we have the age of technology, robotic vehicles, global movement of jobs to the workers who will accept the least pay and conditions etc etc, and still the ever present threat of a nuke or 3 being deployed....
I used to think in the 70's the scenario was possible but unlikely. Now i see myself moving up the scale towards possible and likely.
Back then any reference to the survivalists relegated them towards the lunatic fringe. For me to see this vid posted on BBC's news site leads me to thins such a dynamic
has more validity in todays mindset. The subject of the video throws around his commentry in a rather glib fashion but many of his statements have a bit of a sting to them....
Why one man left Silicon Valley and set up a survival camp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfroTOTqKmY

Vince Brennan
08-06-2017, 11:27 PM
Survivalism is "beauty in the eyes of the beholder".

IMHO, if you REALLY think the society is gonna totally implode and it'll be "Ayn Rand time" (Everyman f'r hissown self) then it makes a lot of sense.

Also IMHO, you need to be stone loony to believe it.

BUT, whatever floats yer boat....

Hallam
08-06-2017, 11:48 PM
Yep, well I don't live my life as if it's just around the corner but I do give it some consideration, mainly in my thinking rather than any real act of preparation.

Paul Pless
08-07-2017, 12:09 AM
fooking zombies
they're real, and the fooking zombiepocalpse is coming

Hallam
08-07-2017, 12:27 AM
.......pinko commie tree hugging zombies? ;)

amish rob
08-07-2017, 12:34 AM
fooking zombies
they're real, and the fooking zombiepocalpse is coming
We're not using the Zed word...

Peace,
Robert

L.W. Baxter
08-07-2017, 12:52 AM
He lost me when he hefted the AR15, then guaranteed that the 5.56 mm bullet would be the currency of the future. Before that, actually, but he really jumps the shark there.

Whole industries have died before. I expect that the coming boom in automation will cause turmoil, displacement, rearrangement of people and resources, and a brave new world.

Trends in peace and prosperity have been very positive and have accelerated positively as the growth in technology has accelerated. I think we are in for one astonishing surprise after another.

The apocalypse could come, but probably not.

The cowardice of people like this (presumed) millionaire is pathetic.

L.W. Baxter
08-07-2017, 01:10 AM
"Life is short, and we all die alone."

So glib, so facile, so vacuous, so clueless.

skuthorp
08-07-2017, 01:20 AM
Haven't watched yet, but a sort of latter day Luddite?

Of course back then when technology and sheep overtook the weavers and spinners, farm labourers and tennant farmers thousands starved, froze, became immigrants to………. Yes! The United States. Where to now? Probably a few of hundred million human's are redundant but it hasn't been explained to them yet. They won't like it, not at all.