PDA

View Full Version : Feathering your oars

Rich Jones
08-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Wanting to improve my rowing skills, I've heard that experienced rowers "feather" their oars. So, I decided to do the same.

One question: Do you apply the feathers along the length of the blade or across it? Perhaps at an angle?
Also, what glue do I use?
Goose, duck or swan feathers?
I'm so confused.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4428/36188031282_8068fd86a2_z_d.jpg

switters
08-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Glue? Such heresy, twine and shellac.

Paul Pless
08-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Glue? Such heresy, twine and shellac.epoxy is crap?

TomF
08-03-2017, 03:46 PM
epoxy is crap?better for feathering the seller's nest than feathering oars.

Garret
08-03-2017, 03:48 PM
No no - it must be gum arabic. The orientation of the feather depends on wind direction, current, length of the oar, height of the rower, & phase of the moon.

Even more important is using the correct feather! Not just any old feather will do - but the criteria for that make way too long a list for here. At the very least, make sure it's not one from a feather duster, as that will dry up the pond.

switters
08-03-2017, 03:50 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

George Jung
Pick me up a skyhook, while yer at the store...

David G
If you were a native New Englander... you wouldn't have to ask, eh? <G>

Rich Jones
08-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Pick me up a skyhook, while yer at the store... Don't forget to send the apprentice airplane mechanic out for a spool of flightline or the apprentice carpenter looking for a box of toe nails.

skuthorp
08-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Owl feathers are much quieter………..

john welsford
08-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Dont forget that you'll need to fit a pair of handed gronicles to the oarlocks in order to allow the blade pitch variation needed to put the feathers at the most effective angle.
Also, do fit feathers from the inside end of the wing on the inboard end of the blade, and tip feathers on the outer end.

John Welsford

amish rob
08-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Please, please, please tell me you have the sense to use the feathers from a swimming bird...:)

Peace,
Robert

skuthorp
08-03-2017, 04:35 PM
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/penguins-under-water-3533419.jpg

skuthorp
08-03-2017, 04:37 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1bBSSGvw-OE/TQv3qUdWvCI/AAAAAAAAAnE/edLsw4x9WjY/s1600/Long-tailed+Duck+S8283.jpg

Not sure about his rowing technique though……..

Rich Jones
08-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Please, please, please tell me you have the sense to use the feathers from a swimming bird...:)

Peace,
Robert There are loons in the lakes around here. Perhaps I should bag a bunch of them...

skuthorp
08-03-2017, 05:07 PM
America has quite enough loons in the white house, pick another species.

TomF
08-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Looney is up against the greenback lately.

B_B
08-03-2017, 05:19 PM
America has quite enough loons in the white house, pick another species.
He was talking about culling, not breeding.

isla
08-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Wanting to improve my rowing skills, I've heard that experienced rowers "feather" their oars. So, I decided to do the same.

One question: Do you apply the feathers along the length of the blade or across it? Perhaps at an angle?
Also, what glue do I use?
Goose, duck or swan feathers?
I'm so confused.

Alice was confused too..

`Can you row?' the Sheep asked, handing her a pair of knitting- needles as she spoke.
`Yes, a little -- but not on land -- and not with needles -- ' Alice was beginning to say, when suddenly the needles turned into oars in her hands, and she found they were in a little boat, gliding along between banks: so there was nothing for it but to do her best.
`Feather!' cried the Sheep, as she took up another pair of needles.
This didn't sound like a remark that needed any answer, so Alice said nothing, but pulled away. There was something very queer about the water, she thought, as every now and then the oars got fast in it, and would hardly come out again.
`Feather! Feather!' the Sheep cried again, taking more needles. `You'll be catching a crab directly.'
`A dear little crab!' thought Alice. `I should like that.'
`Didn't you hear me say "Feather"?' the Sheep cried angrily, taking up quite a bunch of needles.
`Indeed I did,' said Alice: `you've said it very often -- and very loud. Please, where are the crabs?'

amish rob
08-03-2017, 05:26 PM
There are loons in the lakes around here. Perhaps I should bag a bunch of them...

What could possibly go wrong?:d

Peace,
Robert

oznabrag
08-03-2017, 05:37 PM
No no - it must be gum arabic. The orientation of the feather depends on wind direction, current, length of the oar, height of the rower, & phase of the moon.

Even more important is using the correct feather! Not just any old feather will do - but the criteria for that make way too long a list for here. At the very least, make sure it's not one from a feather duster, as that will dry up the pond.

Don't forget the coriolis effect.

David G
08-03-2017, 05:37 PM
And there are Coots all around you... right here, in fact.

Paul Pless
08-03-2017, 05:40 PM
well played good sir!

Alice was confused too..

`Can you row?' the Sheep asked, handing her a pair of knitting- needles as she spoke.
`Yes, a little -- but not on land -- and not with needles -- ' Alice was beginning to say, when suddenly the needles turned into oars in her hands, and she found they were in a little boat, gliding along between banks: so there was nothing for it but to do her best.
`Feather!' cried the Sheep, as she took up another pair of needles.
This didn't sound like a remark that needed any answer, so Alice said nothing, but pulled away. There was something very queer about the water, she thought, as every now and then the oars got fast in it, and would hardly come out again.
`Feather! Feather!' the Sheep cried again, taking more needles. `You'll be catching a crab directly.'
`A dear little crab!' thought Alice. `I should like that.'
`Didn't you hear me say "Feather"?' the Sheep cried angrily, taking up quite a bunch of needles.
`Indeed I did,' said Alice: `you've said it very often -- and very loud. Please, where are the crabs?'

Shang
08-03-2017, 05:44 PM
There are loons in the lakes around here. Perhaps I should bag a bunch of them...

If I had a pet loon I would name her Clara.

Rich Jones
08-03-2017, 05:50 PM
What could possibly go wrong?:d

Peace,
Robert
Yeah... I think the death penalty applies here in Vermont for shooting loons.

Rich Jones
08-03-2017, 05:54 PM
If I had a pet loon I would name her Clara.
That was my father's favorite piece of music. Clare da loon

amish rob
08-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Yeah... I think the death penalty applies here in Vermont for shooting loons.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! This got violent, quickly.

I imagined you luring them close with Loon Snacks, then gently tying them down with padded straps. Leave the wings free, of course.

Peace,
Just Full Of Great Ideas

David W Pratt
08-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Would feathering your oars be good preparation for feathering your nest?

Rich Jones
08-03-2017, 09:55 PM
Would feathering your oars be good preparation for feathering your nest?

Nest was feathered years ago. Now just have to hope it lasts the rest of my life.