PDA

View Full Version : Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation... all important tools

David G
08-01-2017, 04:10 PM
In fact... they can be REALLY IMPORTANT <G>

https://www.yahoo.com/news/writing-error-endangers-south-dakota-marijuana-initiative-172032282.html

SKIP KILPATRICK
08-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Maybe they were high when they wrote the ballot measure?

Ian McColgin
08-01-2017, 04:41 PM
When "you know what I mean" just won't do.

B_B
08-01-2017, 04:48 PM
I'd rather gave it a try then not have a shot at all, than we can redo the hole shebang.

David G
08-01-2017, 06:27 PM
When "you know what I mean" just won't do.

I think it was, "Duuuuude... let's not overcomplicated things - you grok me, doncha?"

David W Pratt
08-01-2017, 07:01 PM
So there is time, money, etc, to fix it, but not to do it correctly in the first place?
Copywriters often have a cavalier attitude toward correctness, counting on editors to catch the mistakes

David G
08-01-2017, 09:16 PM
So there is time, money, etc, to fix it, but not to do it correctly in the first place?
Copywriters often have a cavalier attitude toward correctness, counting on editors to catch the mistakes

Some yes, some no... I've written both ad copy and political speeches, and never had that attitude. Few of the copywriters I've know had that attitude. Sorry you've had bad experiences.

ishmael
08-02-2017, 05:48 AM
It depends on what you are writing. Prose for enjoyment, one should know the rules well so you can break them with panache. Ballot measures had better be right. Here in Maine last November there was a referendum on background checks for private sales of firearms. It was so ambiguous that one couldn't tell if it included temporary transfers to a buddy or a son for a day's hunting, etc. I voted against it, even though if properly worded I would have supported it.