Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David G
    • Dec 2003

U.S. voters - happy, or unhappy?

While the results show the extent of the polarization... overall, it looks like a case of 'buyers remorse'.

Most Americans harbor pretty dismal views of the US government, but the gulf between Republicans and Democrats is stark. Overall, 37% of American adults believe the nation is headed in the right direction, according to a new poll from Business Insider's partner MSN. A plurality says their pride in being American decreased over the past year, and almost a third say the government isn't working at all.

The survey found notable differences between Republicans and Democrats, residents in red and blue states, and women and men.
    While 71% of Republican respondents said they thought the country was going in the right direction, just 5% of Democrats agreed. Sixty percent of Republicans said their pride in being American increased over the past year, while just 7% of Democrats said so.
    While 23% of Republicans believe the country is either working great or pretty well, just 5% of Democrats fell into those two categories — 43% of Democrats said the government didn't work at all.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)
  • bamamick
    • Nov 2003

Re: U.S. voters - happy, or unhappy?

Talk about unhappy, a recent article on Al.com (which encompasses pretty much all of the news media in the state of Alabama) stated that Roy Moore, the former head justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, and the guy kicked out for contempt or whatever it was stemming from the thing about having the Ten Commandments placed in front of the court house in Montgomery, will win the Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions and it won't even be close. As a matter of fact, Al.com says that US House member Mo Brooks and current sitting Senator Luther Strange (appointed by ousted Governor Bentley to take Sessions place when he ascended to the Attorney General's position) would finish 2nd and 3rd in the statewide race over the probably Democratic forerunner, Doug Jones.

I guess I am going to vote for Jones because I damn sure am not voting for any of the Republican candidates, but it terribly frustrating to have so many of my fellow Alabamians think and act with their votes along lines that I honestly don't understand. You should see the ads these guys are running down here (well, Brooks and Strange, anyway). Strange is telling you on one hand that he lives by 'good, Christian values', and on the other that illegal immigrants are rapists, murderers and just overall bad folks. By golly, I would love to see that ba$tard put his hand on a Bible and swear that he had never made any money off of the sweat of one of those immigrant's brow. Then again, I truly wouldn't believe him even if I saw him do that, myself.

It is very frustrating, the world we live in now. Not only do I not trust these people, I don't respect them at all. Quite the opposite. How did it get to this point? What went wrong, and more importantly, does anyone really give a damn and will work to change it?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Comment

• David G
      • Dec 2003

Re: U.S. voters - happy, or unhappy?

Mickey - illustrative of the polarization that has occurred. There's been a divisive narrative promulgated for several decades now, and it has taken firm root among its target audience.
      David G
      Harbor Woodworks
      https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

Working...