What happened to the company that gave a large pay increase to their employees?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genglandoh
    • Dec 2010

What happened to the company that gave a large pay increase to their employees?

A few years ago there was a company that gave large pay increases to their employees.
    I think we had a thread about it here but I can not find it.

Does anyone remember the details and what ever happened to the company?

Thanks in advance.
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do." Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Ian McColgin
    • Apr 1999

Re: What happened to the company that gave a large pay increase to their employees?

As of a year ago, basically good things. I googled. The stories from when he did it were both balanced and wildly anti. But the most recent shows that while some employees felt denigrated, on the whole it worked. I'll save you the google: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/empl...age-70k-tesla/

Comment

• genglandoh
      • Dec 2010

Re: What happened to the company that gave a large pay increase to their employees?

Originally posted by Ian McColgin
      As of a year ago, basically good things. I googled. The stories from when he did it were both balanced and wildly anti. But the most recent shows that while some employees felt denigrated, on the whole it worked. I'll save you the google: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/empl...age-70k-tesla/
      Thanks that was the one.
      "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do." Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

• genglandoh
        • Dec 2010

Here is a review of what happened.
        IMHO it worked because
        1. The CEO took a large pay cut to offset the increase in workers pay.
        2. The News stories increased their sales.

Dan Price, the CEO who raised his company's minimum salary to $70,000, reflects on mistakes and victories over the past year.

Comment

• oznabrag
          Historical Illiterate
          • Nov 2008

Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
            • Dec 1999

Originally posted by genglandoh
            Here is a review of what happened.
            IMHO it worked because
            1. The CEO took a large pay cut to offset the increase in workers pay.
            2. The News stories increased their sales.

http://www.today.com/money/gravity-p...esults-t101678
            And you think that an extreme ratio between CEO an actual worker salaries must be maintained? Or was there some other reason that you think its an aberration?
            Tom L

Comment

• Canoeyawl
              • Jun 2003

Looking for bad news?

"But that’s not what happened. Instead, sales skyrocketed after the announcement, and Gravity Payments continues to take on new clients at a rate it never had before. It reports nearly doubling profits in a year, from $3.5 million in 2014 to $6.5 million in 2015"

Comment

• Duncan Gibbs
                Ninety percent sandpaper
                • Oct 2007

I think Graeme is looking for a degree of common ground for which I'll applaud him.

In Australia the pay gap between CEOs and coal-face employees is vast. In the past CEOs were simply another employee, but now it's a club that involves a great degree of back scratching, doesn't necessarily improve the value of a company, except on paper, and ultimately doesn't provide shareholder value. That's a generalisation of course, but on the whole it's true.
                Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
                Mirror 30141
                Looe
                Dragon KA93

Comment

Working...