PDA

View Full Version : Does Trump Still Surprise You?

CWSmith
07-01-2017, 06:35 PM
I don't mean that you see every stupid move coming.

I've just gotten to the point where nothing seems too uninformed, nothing seems too childish, nothing seems too embarrassing.

I will continue to slap my forehead in disgust, but I will know that whatever he does this is what is to be expected.

CPF
07-01-2017, 07:27 PM
I fear that he is normalizing a terrible travesty of the Presidency. Our beloved United States has become a burlesque show.

Best,
Chris

CWSmith
07-01-2017, 07:32 PM
^ I do fear we will get acclimated. Like boiling a frog, we cannot accept the change.

Tom Montgomery
07-01-2017, 07:39 PM
This is not normal behavior.

Rich Jones
07-01-2017, 07:45 PM
^ I do fear we will get acclimated. Like boiling a frog, we cannot accept the change.
I do fear that a lot of Americans will become acclimated to this horrible behavior and just accept it as Trump being Trump. The problem with Trump being Trump is that he is now President of the United States of America. This childish behavior cannot be tolerated by a nation as great as ours.

oznabrag
07-01-2017, 07:52 PM
He will die in prison.

CWSmith
07-01-2017, 07:54 PM
He will die in prison.

I seriously doubt it. The reluctance to put a sitting POTUS on any trial other than impeachment is so great that no one will go down that road.

wizbang 13
07-01-2017, 08:03 PM
I have a tea party sister.

She bites into every single nugget of Trump. All based on her hatred of HRC. I am surprised that there are apparently millions like her.

CWSmith
07-01-2017, 08:08 PM
All based on her hatred of HRC.

I don't think I will ever understand that. The voracity of the right's hatred for her is beyond any of her shortcomings, which are more a matter of personality than ability. Most accusations against her are baseless. What is real is of not great consequence, especially when we see what we got instead.

Nicholas Scheuer
07-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Fully agree, CWSmith. I had a strong dislike for Hillary when Obama was the other choice. My dislike was more miled when it appeared that electing Bill got us a live-in co-President. I would have been a Biden supporter, but he did not run, so Hillary was OK.

skuthorp
07-01-2017, 09:11 PM
I seriously doubt it. The reluctance to put a sitting POTUS on any trial other than impeachment is so great that no one will go down that road.
I have to agree with that prospect, and that the respect for the office of POTUS will also be damaged, not just by Donald but by years of republican rage at Hill. for being a woman who dared to criticise men, and Obama for being 'black' and preferred by the voters despite that.

The advent of social media also means that the past media filter that kept most of the wacko's and nasties voiceless has gone forever and what is actually libel and slander is now passed off as 'free speech' and will dog any candidate for any office in the future. A great disincentive for anyone that has the capacity to be an honest and effective politician to stand. They have better options.

CWSmith
07-01-2017, 09:24 PM
^ I actually felt that Obama brought a great deal of dignity back to the office, but what did it get him? And did the Democratic Party learn from him?

skuthorp
07-01-2017, 09:29 PM
The Dem. hierarchy wanted Hill. and it all went pear shaped and they got Obama, fell on their feet.
Then it happened again, they got complacent and so did their voters, they lost.
So what's happened to the Dem. party backroom, their political manipulators? Any of them out of a job?

Chip-skiff
07-01-2017, 11:06 PM
You want the real story?

Trump eats garbage, so he's most often constipated.

He goes into the toilet, where no staff can follow, bearing his trusty phone.

As he sits, straining, his hemorrhoids burning, he feels like striking back.

So he does.

The only thing he could do that would surprise me is to act like a decent, intelligent, mature person.

mdh
07-01-2017, 11:08 PM
If you welcome devils to your house, then you must feed them— Afghan proverb.

Canoeyawl
07-02-2017, 12:04 AM
You want the real story?

Trump eats garbage, so he's most often constipated.

He goes into the toilet, where no staff can follow, bearing his trusty phone.

As he sits, straining, his hemorrhoids burning, he feels like striking back.

So he does.

The only thing he could do that would surprise me is to act like a decent, intelligent, mature person.

Confirmed...

"He will punch back ten times as hard"

LeeG
07-02-2017, 05:17 AM
Yup, he does. Two days ago the road was clear, yesterday a splattered run over raccoon carcass was there. Just wasn't expecting all those guts in the morning.

John Smith
07-02-2017, 05:35 AM
This is not normal behavior.

It's normal for Trump.

John Smith
07-02-2017, 05:36 AM
I have a tea party sister.

She bites into every single nugget of Trump. All based on her hatred of HRC. I am surprised that there are apparently millions like her.

Bernie tapped into the hatred of HRC, which is really based on nothing. In reality, HRC may well have been the most qualified person ever to run.

One would like to think qualifications matter.

The only way Trump leaves office is if he can keep his tax returns secret by doing so, and it may be too late for that.

He does not surprise me. The GOP does not surprise me. Sadly, even the number of people who still support him doesn't surprise me. I knew there was a great deal of racism and other forms of hate in this country. Maybe it's good news that many others have come to see this.

Jim Mahan
07-02-2017, 07:50 AM

Will there not ever be some general awakening, when they realize they've been so staunchly in support of a delibertate program to use and abuse them, based on their being steadfastly gullible and credulous for decades? Won't they ever be outraged that they've been so had? Can we not mount our own program to tune in and touch that core, where the outrage smolders and point them at the real target of their righteous wrath, and show them how easy—and sublimely satisfying—it would be to turn the tables, and mount the actual moral high ground, by flushing the lying cheaters and whores, not to mention the 'money-changers,' read hedge fund managers, from our temple, the democratic republic we were taught to believe in, in grade school?

I would think a person would get a glimmer, and when the light finally goes on upstairs, be more mad at the perpetrators who conned them so royally for so long, and bust the R's so-called conservative movement for the bowel distender it is. I am sure the vast majority of trmpsporters will otherwise die happy that HRC lost, no matter what happens to the country.

---

Suppose you found out that your favorite gridiron hero had not only cheated to win the last super bowl, but also that the team franchise had been cheating and getting away with it for many, many seasons, paying off the commissioner, and routinely buying refs, and that half the NFL and college football programs were also in on it, all the title games were rigged and all the superbowls since Vince Lombardi have been fixed.

If you realized that the entire American football phenomenon for a hundred years has been a perpetual game on the American people and culture, for exactly the same reason that there are banks and hedge funds, to keep the big hands of the uber wealthy in our pockets, and to keep the artificial strata of power and money firmly in place, with the population being farmed, and their habitat mined.

Would you keep buying tickets and flying to the game in face paint, wearing your guy's jersey?
Would you still feel like maintaining a staunch loyalty, that patriotic support of your team against the other teams, your city against other cities, knowing that it was all fake, a glittering carnival, not just a cash cow but a whole dairyland?

Do you think Santa pays minimum wage for part-time seasonal help?

Gerarddm
07-02-2017, 08:16 AM
The surprise used to be ( for me ) that he had sufficient support. Now my cynicism has completely subsumed any optimism. The pendulum swung violently from Dubya to Obama, then swung equally violently to our current president. One can only hope it swings back again and does not get stuck on the right.

Meanwhile, Democrats seem lost at sea. Only Bernie keeps counterpunching.

CWSmith
07-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Bernie tapped into the hatred of HRC, which is really based on nothing.

I'm not sure that's fair. Many Democrats were less than excited about her because she adopted some traditionally conservative positions following Obama's success. Bernie offered an alternative that was appealing and she moved to the left as a result. I think the dislike for her within the party arose, in part, as a result of a very strong impression that the party leadership was tilting the field to benefit her. I objected to that and hope she will now go away largely because of that, partly because she is a HORRIBLE campaigner, and partly because she was unable to defeat the weakest GOP candidate in my lifetime.