PDA

View Full Version : "Repeal & Replace" morphs into "Repeal"

Nicholas Scheuer
06-30-2017, 11:53 AM
One H_U_G_E difference between Obama and Trump (without even touching on the slime-wad elements) is: Trump says "healthcare legislation is hard". Obama just did it.

Norman Bernstein
06-30-2017, 12:18 PM
It is extraordinarily hard to imagine what would happen if Republicans merely passed a 'repeal' of Obamacare, without crafting any legislation to replace it. One expert I heard on the radio suggested that 30 million Americans would almost immediately lose their health insurance, and obtaining alternate insurance would be essentially impossible, since insurers would then offer cheap, barebones plans only to young and healthy people without ANY pre-existing conditions... and dump them as soon as they got expensively sick. Insurance for adults aged 50-64 would be virtually impossible to buy, with monstrous premiums. Many more hospitals would close down, because they wouldn't be able to support ongoing emergency room operations. Literally tens of thousand of extra deaths per year would be the result.

What is it going to take for the sane, rational people in this country to start taking up pitchforks and torches, and head to Washington DC?

S.V. Airlie
06-30-2017, 12:43 PM
It is extraordinarily hard to imagine what would happen if Republicans merely passed a 'repeal' of Obamacare, without crafting any legislation to replace it. One expert I heard on the radio suggested that 30 million Americans would almost immediately lose their health insurance, and obtaining alternate insurance would be essentially impossible, since insurers would then offer cheap, barebones plans only to young and healthy people without ANY pre-existing conditions... and dump them as soon as they got expensively sick. Insurance for adults aged 50-64 would be virtually impossible to buy, with monstrous premiums. Many more hospitals would close down, because they wouldn't be able to support ongoing emergency room operations. Literally tens of thousand of extra deaths per year would be the result.

What is it going to take for the sane, rational people in this country to start taking up pitchforks and torches, and head to Washington DC?An illness and not covered by their insurance as an elected official. One the masses have to pay.

David G
07-01-2017, 12:48 AM
Republican cruelty on display --

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/opinion/understanding-republican-cruelty.html?ribbon-ad-idx=7&rref=opinion&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&pgtype=article&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F

The basics of Republican health legislation, which havenít changed much in different iterations of Trumpcare, are easy to describe: Take health insurance away from tens of millions, make it much worse and far more expensive for millions more, and use the money thus saved to cut taxes on the wealthy.

Donald Trump may not get this ó reporting by (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/us/health-care-bill-trump-pence.html)The Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/27/us/health-care-bill-trump-pence.html) and others, combined with his own tweets, suggests that he has no idea whatís in his partyís legislation. But everyone in Congress understands what itís all about.

The puzzle ó and it is a puzzle, even for those who have long since concluded that something is terribly wrong with the modern G.O.P. ó is why the party is pushing this harsh, morally indefensible agenda....

Nicholas Scheuer
07-01-2017, 06:56 AM
One H_U_G_E difference between Hillary and Trump is that when she trumpets a campaign promise involving legislation, she has in mind some inkling of an idea who she might recruit to write and promote that legislation, or she may even have a couple of white papers on file in her office detailing the path of such legislation. Trump, OTOH, hasn't got a f-----g clue how to actually "repeal and replace' (or even how to "repeal") after trumpeting the idea for a couple of years. The whole GOP bunch in Washington have been trumpeting "repeal and replace" ever since Obama got ACA rolling, and they haven't got a f-----g clue, either. Have we ever seen such a clueless bunch of a-holes?

John Smith
07-01-2017, 07:21 AM
A large part of me thinks the best long term thing is they do just repeal. The BS part of this is repeal and replace was always a dumb term.

Anyone remember a vote to repeal anything in the passing of the ACA? When, if, they come up with a new plan, when it passes the ACA is history.

peb
07-01-2017, 07:23 AM
One H_U_G_E difference between Obama and Trump (without even touching on the slime-wad elements) is: Trump says "healthcare legislation is hard". Obama just did it.
No he didn't. It took him over a year and a half, with both houses of congress, 59 senators. And he barely did it, straight party last ne, having to bribe some senators with special perks to go along.
It was hard for Obama, he said so at the time.

skuthorp
07-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Well if a few well placed bribes are all that is necessary there shouldn't be much trouble. "Bribes" are something politicians know all about. That's just standard fare.

Rigadog
07-01-2017, 07:44 AM
I think that if they repeal it flat out, that might finally get us where we need to be which is where every other modern industrialized country is - Single Payer Healthcare. But of course between here and there there will be much needless suffering and death. We seem to need disaster before we do the right thing, and even then we often don't, for example Newtown, Connecticut...

S.V. Airlie
07-01-2017, 07:54 AM
No he didn't. It took him over a year and a half, with both houses of congress, 59 senators. And he barely did it, straight party last ne, having to bribe some senators with special perks to go along.
It was hard for Obama, he said so at the time.Remind me again what McNuggets said about Obama when he was elected, something ending with "we want to make Obama a one term president"?

Too Little Time
07-01-2017, 08:09 AM
That is the way I remember it.

Repeal might not be too bad. The two parties might come together to pass something more reasonable than the ACA.

Daniel Noyes
07-01-2017, 08:15 AM
One H_U_G_E difference between Obama and Trump (without even touching on the slime-wad elements) is: Trump says "healthcare legislation is hard". Obama just did it.\

oh please...

too bad that Obama had trouble with everything else.

Daniel Noyes
07-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Remind me again what McNuggets said about Obama when he was elected, something ending with "we want to make Obama a one term president"?

Dems/ Multinational Global Corporations want to impeach Trumpy... make him a half term president... Yawn

Norman Bernstein
07-01-2017, 08:23 AM

He also did it in the sunlight, with dozens of public hearings, amendments, and many hundreds of hours of open public debate on the actual provisions of the bill. Yes, too bad that it passed exclusively with Democratic support... but there's not a thing wrong with that, as long as the process permitted plenty of time for the opposition to state their case.

As they used to tell us in school, 'compare and contrast' with the Republican process: 13 old white guys locked in a room, negotiating in secret, with barely 10 hours of open debate before it was planned to be voted on.

Tell me, which of the two processes is how you think legislation should be passed?

(By the way, you don't think that there's some 'bribery' going on, with McConnell trying to placate the opposition from the extreme right wingers, as well as the moderates, who object to the Senate bill? How is it different?)

TomF
07-01-2017, 08:28 AM
That is the way I remember it.

Repeal might not be too bad. The two parties might come together to pass something more reasonable than the ACA.
And Trump might develop that presidential pivot thing.

Vince Brennan
07-01-2017, 09:21 AM
I liked Maher's quote from last nite... "You don't have to be poor to be white trash." Hell, I know a lot of folks who wouldn't want "Mr. Time Magazine Cover" near their trailer park.

Too Little Time
07-01-2017, 11:04 AM
And Trump might develop that presidential pivot thing.
I feel for your position. The US is moving away from the healthcare program you favor and have. You don't get that validation you seem to want. I understand that there are some in the US who feel the same way.

Perhaps in 2 years the situation will change. Or not.

(I don't think Trump is going to change. But I can accept that he is president.)

Joe (SoCal)
07-01-2017, 11:22 AM
How about we just repeal Trump as president, then figure it out after that. I can live with that ;)

Rigadog
07-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Are you saying Trump is a more competent president than Obama?

Rich Jones
07-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Dems/ Multinational Global Corporations want to impeach Trumpy... make him a half term president... YawnSure, we'd like to see DT gone by the end of one term. The big difference is that McConnell made 'making sure Obama is a one term president' the number one priority of the GOP. Not jobs, not domestic policy, not anything. Obstructionism was his number one strategy and he said so. Some say that the Dems are now obstructionists. Nonsense. With the House, Senate, White House and Supreme Court in their pocket, the GOP should be able to do anything they want.

Nicholas Scheuer
07-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Obama got it DONE, PEB. He didn't tuck his tail over his ass and run like Trump. It cost Obama a LOT to get it done, too, but he didn't whine to us about it. You go right ahead and admire that POS Trump; it's a free country. As for myself? I've got higher standards.

oznabrag
07-01-2017, 01:35 PM
Sure, we'd like to see DT gone by the end of one term. The big difference is that McConnell made 'making sure Obama is a one term president' the number one priority of the GOP. Not jobs, not domestic policy, not anything. Obstructionism was his number one strategy and he said so. Some say that the Dems are now obstructionists. Nonsense. With the House, Senate, White House and Supreme Court in their pocket, the GOP should be able to do anything they want.

And a bunch of folks didn't believe he could actually mean it. They thought that nobody could be that obtuse and anti-American.

These are the same people who refuse to believe that the Republican Party is actively trying to destroy the US Government from within, EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE BEEN OVERTLY AND EVEN PROUDLY ASSERTING THAT THE UTTER DESTRUCTION OF OUR CONSTITUTION IS THEIR ULTIMATE GOAL, FOR 40-ODD YEARS!

Wake up, people.

That is the ONLY THING these traitorous scuzbuckets have been honest about.

Joe (SoCal)
07-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Are you saying Trump is a more competent president than Obama?

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/35997478613fc24e1c6a72ef5ec2f8c4d4b8b0b8

David G
07-02-2017, 11:58 AM
The Republican intramural strife continues --

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republicans-food-stamps-budget_us_5956a35ee4b02734df32408a

Gerarddm
07-02-2017, 03:47 PM
Republican lawmakers act like Republican voters don't get sick. I just don't get it.

Chip-skiff
07-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Repeal and Replace?

At this point it's more like: Rinse and Repeat.