PDA

View Full Version : changing deck colors - you make the call!

Ted Hoppe
06-22-2017, 05:37 PM
I haven't been thinking to clearly lately. Strange warm week for me. Have been working on the boat with repairs to the deck and filling in several soft spots with marine ply. I was wanting to be done by fathers day but that never happened. My next goal was for the boat show but was delayed do to a long video shooting schedule. Anyway to catch up I ended up working in the hot sun and even suffered from a bad bout of dehydration and possible chemical fume exposure which i caused to blacked out and crippled me for for days and even resulting in loosing 2 days of paid extra work not to mention the of 5lbs of lost weight (not good). I am feeling nearly 80 percent now and have returned to slowly getting back to order. The forum has keep me cheery and i thank you.

Anyway to make a long story short, my loving wife has hated the teal color i painted my boat over a year ago. It was the original 1967 color. She has suggested when i paint it and she will sail with me more often over the months. Enough said and working hard to make happen.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4235/35343279181_5e92ca4e67_o.jpg

The color i am proposing is off hatteras white with a matching cream nonskid and gold leaf cove (yellow in lieu of gold represented on the hull). I got the paint this morning and waiting for the heat of the day to cool. it is still over 100 now.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4281/34632466514_d4338c9d22_o.jpg

Anyway - think the color works for her, the boat and me? If so I begin painting tomorrow.

Canoeyawl
06-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Spar buff or light grey...

Kevin T
06-22-2017, 05:45 PM
Okay the two photos were done in photoshop, yes?:confused:

If not, then you are a magician in being able to recreate the exact same pose and water reflections on the hull.;)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-22-2017, 05:46 PM
I agree; white may dazzle you and it may make the boat look fat. Conversely dark colours may cook you below deck..

I happen to like pale green, but buff or grey are also good...

Phil Y
I like the teal for authenticity, but the off white looks way better. What fumes got you? Lucky you didnt go overboard I'd guess, wow!

Ted Hoppe
Spar buff or light grey...

spar buff is nice but a bit darker. The light grey was my other choice good option and was in my hand at Svendsons marine. (I found the Kirby teal paint (by phone/mail order only) did not hold the shine i liked otherwise it held up to wear).

Ted Hoppe
06-22-2017, 05:50 PM
I like the teal for authenticity, but the off white looks way better. What fumes got you? Lucky you didnt go overboard I'd guess, wow!

the fumes were from the interlux chemical degreaser cleaner i used - the heat of the deck cause the fumes to rise rapidly despite using a nice non resporator valved mask. I don't remember driving home. Yes - quite lucky about not falling in.

SMARTINSEN
06-22-2017, 06:57 PM
I like the deck, but not the cove stripe, how about navy blue?

wizbang 13
06-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Is the color change to make your wife happy or is it to lower the deck temp?
I recently convinced a fellow to change the color of his deck in the tropics. I used one of those $20 handheld laser thermometer thingys.
20 degree temp difference between a buff he had been using and an off white cream .
Big fun walking around the boat seeing some things 90 degrees and some things 140.
If the former is the reason...ya goose cook.

Ted Hoppe
06-27-2017, 11:48 AM
Before

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4289/35184513210_77c7973e90_b.jpg

Painting has begun. Hatteras Off White cabin top. The deck still unsure...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4241/35184519290_439a00e990_b.jpg

amish rob
06-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Is the color change to make your wife happy or is it to lower the deck temp?
I recently convinced a fellow to change the color of his deck in the tropics. I used one of those $20 handheld laser thermometer thingys.
20 degree temp difference between a buff he had been using and an off white cream .
Big fun walking around the boat seeing some things 90 degrees and some things 140.
If the former is the reason...ya goose cook.

Okay, I'm listening. What's the best color? Mind, I have a little 20 foot beachcruiser, but I'm due to paint the deck and cabin top soon, and I'm willing to listen to experience.

I want the coolest color, temp wise. Is there a specific off white cream? I'm not being smart, I'm being serious. :)

Thanks, Brother.

Peace,
Robert

Canoeyawl
06-27-2017, 11:58 AM
I perfer a color that doesn't blind me in the sun. All my decks are light grey or buff.

(For me a white deck is painful, like high beams coming at me.)

amish rob
06-27-2017, 12:02 PM
I perfer a color that doesn't blind me in the sun. All my decks are light grey or buff.

(For me a white deck is painful, like high beams coming at me.)

I've never had much more than bresthooks in a boat. My sailing canoe has a very, very whited tan deck, which I like.
I'm open to everyone's experience, of course. Loads here have owned and kept large sailboats, and I'm apt to listen.

Do you have a specific color, or just a range?

Thanks.

Peace,
Robert

Canoeyawl
06-27-2017, 12:17 PM
Mist Gray, which seems just a bit darker than this image.
I haven't seen "Buff" for a while, I only used that on small decks, hatch covers etc.

(I used to mix my own combination of white and black but life is short and it is too easy to just use it from the can)

http://images.jamestowndistributors.com/images/multi/pettit/large/1329s.jpg

Ted Hoppe
06-27-2017, 12:25 PM
^ I may bend to do 50/50 sandstone & Semigloss white. With nonskid, the brightness and pigment will be muted.

Canoeyawl
06-27-2017, 12:33 PM
Those chips are a little "odd" but I think on our Rosinante I painted the decks with the "Off White" shown above which was a variation of the old standard "Buff"

Do some test pieces! My experience with 50/50 was far from what I expected. To achieve what I wanted it took less color tint, maybe less than 75/25 even. It became too much trouble and eventually (I learn the hard way) I just went with what's in the can!

amish rob
06-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Mist Gray, which seems just a bit darker than this image.
I haven't seen "Buff" for a while, I only used that on small decks, hatch covers etc.

(I used to mix my own combination of white and black but life is short and it is too easy to just use it from the can)

http://images.jamestowndistributors.com/images/multi/pettit/large/1329s.jpg

Awesome! This gives a good idea of the color range, anyway. Very helpful.
Thank you.

Peace,
Robert

mmd
06-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Jeeze, Rob; when I saw that you were in this thread, my immediate thought was...

... Doodle-deck!!

(Now THAT would be awesome!)

Ted Hoppe
06-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Jeeze, Rob; when I saw that you were in this thread, my immediate thought was...

... Doodle-deck!!

I do love his doodles. That would be an awesome commission a nice classic plastic boat.

amish rob
06-27-2017, 01:15 PM

... Doodle-deck!!

Now, there's a great idea! I am seriously going to add some doodle type decorations to my boat.

Thinking about a "regular" boat makes my mind reel. The shapes to play off and connect on a boat deck. And the corners to bend the wrong way...

Hmmm...

Peace,
Robert

David W Pratt
06-27-2017, 01:48 PM
My suggestions would be a light grey or the buff. Dirt might look better on either than on the teal you now have.
I had whiten Truth, but that was in New England.
Good luck

Rum_Pirate
06-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Looks more appealing in the 'off white' compared to the 'teal'.

Will the line along the hull be black, gold or left 'teal'?

'Pearl' great decks would look nice and probably show the dirt less. ;)

Garret
06-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Maybe late to the party, but Neoga's hull & decks are Interlux Seattle Gray. I love the color

https://images.jamestowndistributors.com/images/large/64.jpg

isla
06-27-2017, 04:11 PM
So many names for off-white/buff. I use a lot of Teamac paint and like 'Buttermilk' for decks and inside small open boats. So I reckon your photoshop colour change looks pretty good.

http://hspindustrial.wilkinsonmoore.co.uk/colour_charts/Teamac_Agricultural_Colours_1.jpg

Phil Y
06-27-2017, 05:19 PM
I was on my boat yesterday afternoon, and just realised a fair bit of my interior, where its painted, is not far from your teal. 1974. Must have been a thang.

wizbang 13
06-27-2017, 06:07 PM
Okay, I'm listening. What's the best color? Mind, I have a little 20 foot beachcruiser, but I'm due to paint the deck and cabin top soon, and I'm willing to listen to experience.

I want the coolest color, temp wise. Is there a specific off white cream? I'm not being smart, I'm being serious. :)

Thanks, Brother.

Peace,
Robert
White , white is the color Rob.
In the case of my friends boat, it has traditional planked decks in the tropics , so it was more a matter of preventing the decks from leaking, thus saving the boat.
On my own boat, strip plank decks, it is about that as well (hairline cracks),but staying cool on the feet on deck and cool below.
White decks get dirty, they do not stay pristine, all boats in the tropics have good awns'ls, and all people who sail the tropics have good hats and sunnies. (brit slang for shades).
bruce