PDA

View Full Version : circuit de la sarthe

Paul Pless
06-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Toyota takes the front row. Interesting how similar the Toyota TS050 looks to the dominate Audis of the last decade. Its not a pretty car to me, I thought their offering was one of the more elegant WEC/Le Mans prototypes in a while.

So I guess the big question is, "do they make it to the end this year?"

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/car/6560/Toyota-TS050-Hybrid-63007.jpg

Paul Pless
06-16-2017, 02:50 PM
only japanese car to ever win le mans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxXtpMngivM

John Meachen
06-16-2017, 03:41 PM
The Toyota may not be pretty but it did set a phenomenal qualifying time.They may come to regret not fitting air conditioning this weekend as the weather may oblige them to change drivers more frequently than is ideal.It was a weight saving thing and seemed like a good idea at the time.

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Unabashedly trolling for Gatenby.

http://janmagnussen.dk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/vette_600pixels.jpg

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Side valve?

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Ur funny

Ross M
06-17-2017, 10:20 AM
side valve?

roflao

I think at least one of the Toyotas will finish.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Live Blogg
http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a10035205/2017-24-hours-of-le-mans-the-live-blog/

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Two comments:

1. The LMP2 back marker taking out the Risi Competizione Ferrari was pure douchebaggeriness.

2. The video equipment, especially the lenses is going to yield spectacular footage tonight. The straight bladed diaphragms are yielding fantastic 'sun stars'.

Ross M
06-17-2017, 02:52 PM
i agree on both counts. The camera coverage has been excellent so far, except for missing the Porsche splitting the Toyos at the start. Dusk images are excellent - especially the yellow cars :-) - and the sense of speed seems more intense. I know the cars are very fast this year, but is there new camera tech as well?

Edited to add: maybe it is the KERS systems are becoming very effective - the P1s really seem to squirt out of the corners...

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Good to hear Bob Varsha too. He was pretty much the voice of international sports car racing and F1 for me from my youth into my late thirties.

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Toyota struggling, worried. . .

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 06:21 PM
disaster for toyota

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Who is not now pulling hard for Vaillante Rebellion? :D

Lew Barrett
06-17-2017, 07:31 PM
You guys streaming FIA?

I've got Fox Sports 1 but it doesn't air until later tonight here.

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 07:34 PM
its on fox sports 2 until 12:30
then foxsports.com until 6:00
then fox sports 1 till the finish

Lew Barrett
06-17-2017, 07:36 PM
I don't get FS2 on comcast here. I can watch it on my computer, but that's like going to a peep show and seeing it with one eye closed. How are the vettes doing? Go Chevrolet :)

Ross M
06-17-2017, 07:38 PM
You guys streaming FIA?

I've got Fox Sports 1 but it doesn't air until later tonight here.

I am streaming Fox Sports Go through a Roku app. I think Fox Sports 2 is carrying it until FS1 picks it back up at 1:00 AM tomorrow.

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 07:40 PM
rough going, two have crashed, each was running second at the time
similarly the fords, aston is strong for being a low budget two car team
porsche was weak, uncharacteristically until the corvettes, the fords, and one ferrari ahead of them all crashed
until their troubles corvettes were setting and holding fastest laps

Lew Barrett
06-17-2017, 07:51 PM
rough going, two have crashed, each was running second at the time
similarly the fords, aston is strong for being a low budget two car team
porsche was weak, uncharacteristically until the corvettes, the fords, and one ferrari ahead of them all crashed
until their troubles corvettes were setting and holding fastest laps

Argh. You are aware of my musings on the subject:) shall I shock Ian with my findings so far?

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Gatenby has been noticeably absent from this thread. . .

If I were you I'd be buying a radioactive green Lamborghini :D

The Bigfella
06-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Argh. You are aware of my musings on the subject:) shall I shock Ian with my findings so far?

You'll regret buying one. Not now maybe... but in a couple of years, you'll admit it.

The Bigfella
06-17-2017, 08:05 PM
I haven't been following it - but was up at 4.30 for prayers and breakfast.... and then back to bed - seems I'm a Ramadan wimp. I'll be at an open feast as soon as the sun goes down. I suspect that with the Imam there, the tv will be off - and my suggested surreptitious use of the mobile phone has been frowned upon. Just turned on the Road n Track link for the blog in the meantime.

Lew Barrett
06-17-2017, 08:11 PM
You'll regret buying one. Not now maybe... but in a couple of years, you'll admit it.

It's a great drive and a great car. Have you driven a C7 GS? It's a blast.
I have a couple more to sample but I can't drive anything with a clutch for a month. I'd buy an Evora and not look back except it's been hard for me to justify a Lotus because of the difficulty finding service here. Still want to drive the Merc and an Aston Martin and maybe that R car. The Porsches so far have been disappointing. Maybe I'm not driving the right ones.

The Bigfella
06-17-2017, 08:39 PM
It's a great drive and a great car. Have you driven a C7 GS? It's a blast.
I have a couple more to sample but I can't drive anything with a clutch for a month. I'd buy an Evora and not look back except it's been hard for me to justify a Lotus because of the difficulty finding service here. Still want to drive the Merc and an Aston Martin and maybe that R car. The Porsches so far have been disappointing. Maybe I'm not driving the right ones.

Nah, I haven't driven a C7 GS. My experiences with the General Motors cars over the years is that they have all been very general motors. We were just discussing one of my prior purchases the other day. Top of the line V8 Calais. FE2 suspension package, etc. The brakes were good... but by 8,000 km, they weren't good any more. Just crap. When I moved over to Mercedes, I discovered what good brakes really were.

A mate of mine is friends with a former GM suspension engineer... who'd come to them from Porsche. He wasn't allowed to engineer in top class handling - against company policy. GM apparently was of the view that people would use that performance if they provided it.

Refresh my memory please... what's the R car? Nissan GT-R? Another mate, who got locked up for exploiting his earlier series GT-R's performance isn't as enthusiastic about the newest generation.

Paul Pless
06-17-2017, 08:53 PM
Basing your judgement of today's Corvette on your decision to buy a Calais three decades ag seems rather um, shortsighted and willfully ignorant to say the least.

The Bigfella
06-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Basing your judgement of today's Corvette on your decision to buy a Calais three decades ag seems rather um, shortsighted and willfully ignorant to say the least.

Nah. It's based on the fact that there's companies out there that more closely match my view of the world. From time to time, companies that spew out a stream of very general products throw out something spectacular (hmm... VW and the Bugattis).... but I'm just not interested in GM's particular flavour.

Not much point me even looking at one. The silly damn cockpit design would press on the plate in my leg - which isn't a pleasant experience - so, 5 seconds after opening the door and climbing in, I'd be getting out again without bothering to drive it.

http://www.vettereport.com/gallery/2016/08/03/62ad333423d01c8538180449c5a9aab4/nearly-a-quarter-of-corvette-buyers-has-opted-for-the-manual-transmission-110071_1_thumb.jpg

Lew Barrett
06-18-2017, 12:54 AM
Refresh my memory please... what's the R car?

F Type R.

Chevy doesn't manufacture an RHD C7 and they are much pricier overseas in any case. There is nothing on the market that can compete wit it at anywhere near the price. As far as brakes, the standard Grand Sport comes with Brembo 8 pots and steel rotors. For five grand you can get carbon ceramics as a stand alone option. With that box ticked and in top trim level, the car is still $35K cheaper than a 991 C2S, which it will outrun on a technical course. The Carrera will out drag it however the Corvette gets it back in the corners. The Lotus Evora is more fun than either, but it's a tough sell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtoXMOiqtQ&t=777s

I'm up late watching the race.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-18-2017, 04:15 AM
Porsche bites the dust.

LMP2 car now race leader!

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 05:22 AM
Oh ****! Corvette factory leading in GT!

What happened to Vallainte?

Since Chevrolet began their factory efforts in 2000, they have won the GT class eight times. Similar record at Daytona including one overall win, when they outlasted the prototypes.

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 05:52 AM
Porsche bites the dust.

LMP2 car now race leader!At this pace the LMP1 Porsche will catch the LMP2 overall race leader on the last lap!
Cue Jaws Music. Or the Emporers March.

The Bigfella
06-18-2017, 07:15 AM
At this pace the LMP1 Porsche will catch the LMP2 overall race leader on the last lap!
Cue Jaws Music. Or the Emporers March.

Better speed up that music. Porsche in the lead. Is the Chevvie still running?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Chevvy still running

pro tem

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 07:55 AM
Holy ****!

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 07:58 AM
Holy F***!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Well , it was running.

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Damn. . .

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 08:02 AM
Big props to Aston.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-18-2017, 08:03 AM
better than F1.

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Eff one is crap

The Bigfella
06-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Who won>>?

Lew Barrett
06-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Porsche 919 overall, Vantage took GTE Pro in a wild finish. Chevy lost a tire on the penultimate lap following contact with the Vantage. What a finish! Hell of a race. Aston earned it the hard way.

The Bigfella
06-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Natural balance in the world....

John Meachen
06-18-2017, 02:37 PM
I really wish there had been more breadth in the LMP1's ,just two manufacturers is not a healthy class.In spite of my reservations about a near spec LMP2 car,they were fast and reliable for a fraction of what the senior category cost to run so good job by the car designers and builders.Good job also by the ACO in setting the Balance of Performance for the GTE category so that a variety of cars were separated by seconds at the end of the race.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
06-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Agreed - It is possible to believe that LMP1 needs a complete re-think - and that Toyota can't buy a break.

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Good job also by the ACO in setting the Balance of Performance for the GTE category so that a variety of cars were separated by seconds at the end of the race.

the racing was very good, but i very much dislike the bop rule by aco or any other organization
i think it would be better and fairer to all if the just utilized a standard inlet restrictor, minimum weight, and maximum fuel load rule and let the manufacturers come up with what they will

John Meachen
06-18-2017, 03:13 PM
the racing was very good, but i very much dislike the bop rule by aco or any other organization
i think it would be better and fairer to all if the just utilized a standard inlet restrictor, minimum weight, and maximum fuel load rule and let the manufacturers come up with what they will

The danger is that the cost will just explode.The BoP allows for the use of standard vehicles modified for track usage.A similar process is used to contain costs in the British Touring Car Championship after grids dwindled when the Super Touring rules allowed too much development of standard road cars.Tighter regulations,spec parts and a BoP have reduced costs and greatly increased the number of cars on the grid.It's a less pure way to go racing but commercially its a better situation.

Paul Pless
06-18-2017, 03:23 PM
I understand what you're saying John. And a rule that I proposed would probably have relegated Aston to the sidelines in today's race, based on budget. Speaking of it was very good to see Aston win, they needed this.

Lew Barrett
06-18-2017, 05:55 PM
The Vantage is a handsome thing as well. And speaking of great British marques, who'd like to see Geely put Lotus back on the track? That would be an outcome!